Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian / Tyrolean C class quality question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC-E50. Marriott Plat
I have checked the Austrian and Tyrolean websites with little success, can anyone tell me how to find out if Toronto - Vienna would have the new business class cabin? or where to find pictures of what the product is if it isnt the new one? (i did find the new business class cabin info on Austrian website but no way to know what routes it is available on...) thanks
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, EK Gold,OW SIL, SPG GOLD.
Originally Posted by dirkster
I have checked the Austrian and Tyrolean websites with little success, can anyone tell me how to find out if Toronto - Vienna would have the new business class cabin? or where to find pictures of what the product is if it isnt the new one? (i did find the new business class cabin info on Austrian website but no way to know what routes it is available on...) thanks
When are you planning to fly? On this route a 767 is flying. This means that after the new cabin you will have a 1-2-1 configuration in C. Unfortunatelly you will only know it when you book your flight, or you can ask your travelling agent to check the configuration for you.
They will start with the refurbishing of the Boeings by November (with a 767) and they will need around 6 weeks per plane. So if you fly this year your chances will be nearly 0.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:22 pm

Thanks SenFly I am flying on Sept 1 ie in 3 weeks. everywhere I research suggests the business class on this 767 is older style with flat inclined seat that is not very comfortable, and antiquated video system with no VOD.
my question is, on the Austrian website, there is a neat video animation of the business class seat - i guess this is not the product on the current 767s?
it is a pity to pay for business class and get a substandard product but I have few options...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by dirkster
Thanks SenFly I am flying on Sept 1 ie in 3 weeks. everywhere I research suggests the business class on this 767 is older style with flat inclined seat that is not very comfortable, and antiquated video system with no VOD.
my question is, on the Austrian website, there is a neat video animation of the business class seat - i guess this is not the product on the current 767s?
it is a pity to pay for business class and get a substandard product but I have few options...
You are most welcome Dirkster. Here you can find the current business class seat:

http://service.austrian.com/sites/book/en/index.html

They mention that it is the new seat, but it is not. This is the long haul seat that they have had for a while now. It is outdated, narrow, hard and not lie flat. Furthermore the entertainment system is one of the worst, no avod. All in all a bad hard product. Unfortunatelly not even the good food and friendly service make up for the uncomfortable seats. Luckily the new cabin will be installed soon and then the hard product will be inline with the soft product.
Still for you it will be the only direct connection to Toronto. Or you will have to transit in LHR or FRA.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:19 am

thanks, this is the clarification i was seeking. not great, but the idea of connecting is not great either.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: QR Gold, TK Gold
Originally Posted by SENfly
They will start with the refurbishing of the Boeings by November (with a 767)
actually I talked to someone at OS yesterday and they said that they will start with the 777s
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:58 pm
mjm
Original Member

OK, as promised a review of OS in C from JFK to VIE. Adding a bit of commentary on OS C VIE to NRT, a bit on LH C NRT to FRA, and finally LX F NRT-ZRH-NRT. I include all because they are the same group and the product line quality control is interesting.

Seats:

LX > LH > OS

OS seats are not bad if you will be awake and put a pillow and possibly a folded blanket under your butt. Otherwise they are too hard. The leg room is ample and the recline and sleep positions are acceptable if you can tolerate an angled flat seat.

LH (on the 380) is based on the same mistake they made in the last iteration of their F Class seats, i.e. 2 seats acting as a set and not enough width for either one really. Angled but far more comfortable than OS if awake. If trying to sleep it is for too narrow and on a par with the OS product. For all of their engineering prowess the Germans and Austrian did a shockingly bad job on their seats.

LX is pure paradise.

IFE:

OS IFE is ridiculous and of the quality UA used to offer in their old seats. Just pure garbage.

LH has better screens albeit small. AVOD but a really silly linear series of commends to navigate it. Not at all easy to move from one section to another without restarting from the home screen. And the flight map is years behind UA even. No zoom function for example.

LX is on a par with LH.

Food:

OS stands so far above LH it is hard to see the group relationship. Real food prepared and presented in a very appealing manner. Obviously not a fine dining restaurant and similar prep tools but the process on OS produces a far more appealing meal. That and the fact the offerings are better. A simple point like bread which is a true treat in either country is very good on OS and very average on LH. I rate this as good as LX F and even as good as NH F for western food.

LH, very formulaic and with your eyes closed you could be on UA.

LX, in F the meal is of a quality you will find in OS C. In LX C not so much.

Wine:

OS has a tremendous selection of truly spectacular Austrian wines. They even finish the meal with Kracher.

LH has a average list even in F.

LX in F has one of the best wine lists in the air.

Only LX has Champagne worthy of the name, i.e. Grand Siecle from Laurent-Perrier.

Service:

LX takes the cake here. They are almost Asia in their practiced manner. High marks.

OS and LH are typical of what you find in Austria and Germany. Good service, lots of heart, but still a rather distant and unsophisticated air compared to what you will find in Japan. I would rate the two as equal in the service category. Both are OK, neither is stellar.

Overall Scores:

If flying to VIE and are a foodie, OS.
If you are a plane junkie, 380 is the most amazing aircraft in the air. LH via FRA.
If you are a sleeper, fly via ZRH on LX.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Mike
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Ha, I randomly checked this thread as I woke up this morning thinking "Hey, mjm was supposed to give us some feedback around this time."

Itll be interesting to see how the new OS seats compare. Im not traveling until May so I assume they will be installed by then.

After reading your post, Im extremely excited to fly LX on the way home.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
This summer I did LO JFK-WAW, and OS VIE-JFK in C. I really did not like the OS flights-not only from the seat-but also the lounge (FAR from gates in VIE) and the checkin. IT was a MADHOUSE!!!! Get to the airport EARLY if flying out of VIE!!!

Here is the post highlights on LO/OS:

LOT C:
SURPRISING great!
Check in-solid and quick (9/10)
GREAT food (9/10)
GREAT lounge (LX at JFK) (9/10)
EMPTY cabin (3 of 18) (10/10)
seat was actually not bad (would give it a 8/10)
IFE was so-so (digital boxes) (8/10)
boarding was so-so (business was first though) (8/10)
Timing was great-left at 11pm (10/10)

OS C:
Disappointment at best
Check in was HORRIFIC in VIE. Business class line was ~40 minute wait!!! (1/10)
GREAT food (10/10)
So/so lounge (food 8/10, location 3/10) it is a LONG walk to the gates!
Seat was not very comforable. Even my 14 yr old was complaining of "rear end pain" 4/10
IFE was 90's (2/10)
boarding was enmasse and confusing at best (2/10) (WHY do i need to be at the gate at 830 for a 1040 flight so you can check my passport??????? )

Overall, I would probably say LOT/UA were a close tie. I would not be affraid to take LOT again!!! OS-NEVER again! Other issues were had on OS. The handbaggage rule was held to 8KG. The guy tracked me down and made me weigh my bag 3 times (it was a nearly empty full size roller). I ended up checking it.

HON/SEN/*gold/Business check in was a MADHOUSE! Bus customers should not wait 45 min to check in. In a non-moving line!

Just my $.02

LOT JFK-WAW 767
OS VIE-JFK 777
Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
This summer I did LO JFK-WAW, and OS VIE-JFK in C. I really did not like the OS flights-not only from the seat-but also the lounge (FAR from gates in VIE) and the checkin. IT was a MADHOUSE!!!! Get to the airport EARLY if flying out of VIE!!!

Here is the post highlights on LO/OS:

LOT C:
SURPRISING great!
Check in-solid and quick (9/10)
GREAT food (9/10)
GREAT lounge (LX at JFK) (9/10)
EMPTY cabin (3 of 18) (10/10)
seat was actually not bad (would give it a 8/10)
IFE was so-so (digital boxes) (8/10)
boarding was so-so (business was first though) (8/10)
Timing was great-left at 11pm (10/10)

OS C:
Disappointment at best
Check in was HORRIFIC in VIE. Business class line was ~40 minute wait!!! (1/10)
GREAT food (10/10)
So/so lounge (food 8/10, location 3/10) it is a LONG walk to the gates!
Seat was not very comforable. Even my 14 yr old was complaining of "rear end pain" 4/10
IFE was 90's (2/10)
boarding was enmasse and confusing at best (2/10) (WHY do i need to be at the gate at 830 for a 1040 flight so you can check my passport??????? )

Overall, I would probably say LOT/UA were a close tie. I would not be affraid to take LOT again!!! OS-NEVER again! Other issues were had on OS. The handbaggage rule was held to 8KG. The guy tracked me down and made me weigh my bag 3 times (it was a nearly empty full size roller). I ended up checking it.

HON/SEN/*gold/Business check in was a MADHOUSE! Bus customers should not wait 45 min to check in. In a non-moving line!

Just my $.02

LOT JFK-WAW 767
OS VIE-JFK 777
Thankfully my flight out of VIE is only a hop to BCN. Ill be sure to show up early regardless!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:03 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

etc...
No wait at all for OS C desks. Maybe one person in front. For European bound bank of flights. Not sure where that experience came from but atypical would be an understatement.

Lounges are adjacent to gates now also. The information provided in the post is out of date.

Boarding is by class also.

Seems you had a bad trip. They happen but do not indicate the norm.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Deleted 6 off topic posts. Please be nice.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:06 pm

Flew JFK-VIE last week in C.

Seat is terrible (slightly worse then KL). Food is excellent. Selection of papers/magazines good. Lounge in VIE not very good. My biggest gripe (since I was on a daytime flight and sleep less important) is the entertainment system - very outdated and they only had about 6 movies playing.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:43 am

It seems that the first plane with the new cabin will be the 767 OE-LAX. It will be flying from mid of November.
OS seems to stick to the timetable.

http://austrianaviation.net/news-regional/news-detail/datum/2012/08/31/aua-grundueberholung-fuer-767-flotte.html
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Tyrolean Air Business Class

Does anyone know anything about this airline? They have a hub in Vienna. I am looking to book a flight OTP-IAD and some of the routings I am coming up with use them. They also seem to be called Austrian Arrows. Is their overseas business class comparable to other airlines business class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.