Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My U.S. standard carryon (B&R Baseline, US size) has had no trouble in upper deck bins on either the 744 or 748, so I guess YMMV?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
HI, need a bit of advice.

My wife and I currently have 88 A and C for a flight SIN to FRA - with a tight 1 hour connection at FRA . Also available for selection is 4D and 4G on the main deck.

Are 4D and G Bassinet seats - i.e. is there a risk we could be moved?
Are they adjacent or near to Bassinet seats?
Would they likely be significantly quicker to debark than row 88 on the upper deck ?

Which would be your pick for a couple wanting to sleep, not bothered about the view, and want to make a quick getaway?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
HI, need a bit of advice.

My wife and I currently have 88 A and C for a flight SIN to FRA - with a tight 1 hour connection at FRA . Also available for selection is 4D and 4G on the main deck.

Are 4D and G Bassinet seats - i.e. is there a risk we could be moved?
Are they adjacent or near to Bassinet seats?
Would they likely be significantly quicker to debark than row 88 on the upper deck ?

Which would be your pick for a couple wanting to sleep, not bothered about the view, and want to make a quick getaway?
4DG are not bassinet seats IIRC, if they are available to select then you shouldn't be moved out of them.

Row 88 is the last row on the UD and that means that you just go down the stairs to door 2L. IME this will get you out of the plane among the first pax.

I'd go for the UD, quieter/less traffic and quick off the plane.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Hi, I am not sure if this is the correct board but I am trying to find out ways to locate routes that fly Boeing 747-8. Is it accurate that only Lufthansa, Korean Air and Air china are the only few that flight it for passengers?
based on this

Last edited by psusaver; Sep 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm Reason: Notes
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I am a BA flyer ( BA Gold ) but wanted to go to Japan so got a good deal on Lufthansa from BUD-FRA-HND ( bought as NH tickets) for late Oct and early Nov return. The FRA-HND flights are on the 748 ( have not been on the 748 but frequented the BA 744 upper deck before they were withdrawn from service) . Have chosen row 84 & 87 ( window seats )

Will report back on the experience.

Will look at this forum for info on transferring at FRA and the business lounges at FRA and HND ( assume it will be the ANA lounge at HND)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:06 pm

How is Row 9 Seat A/C? Is the back row of the 2 row mini cabin any better?
Old Dec 22, 2022, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
How is Row 9 Seat A/C? Is the back row of the 2 row mini cabin any better?
I like the UD
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
2K is open but not selectable online I assume because it's the bassinet. Can this be selected by calling in or only at check in?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:40 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
From memory rows 81-83 are blocked so you will not get a seat until rows 84-88.

I tend to book 11 months in advance so I have no trouble with 84-88 , I however do not recommend 84 as food trays tend to be stored on top of the shelf there.

85 onwards is ideal.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by robertr
From memory rows 81-83 are blocked so you will not get a seat until rows 84-88.

I tend to book 11 months in advance so I have no trouble with 84-88 , I however do not recommend 84 as food trays tend to be stored on top of the shelf there.

85 onwards is ideal.
Just came back from a flight where I was row 84 as that was the best I could get last second. Indeed I experienced the annoyance of food trays being constantly placed right in front of me, which was disturbing when trying to sleep, etc - not to mention the screen even being partially blocked without consideration. I was surprised to find that the food service blocked both emergency exits on the 747 upper deck for a good portion of the travel time - how is that acceptable and not a safety violation over an extended period?

Row 84 with Food / Wine Trays on top

Both exit doors blocked during service
Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by RobotsRock
Just came back from a flight where I was row 84 as that was the best I could get last second. Indeed I experienced the annoyance of food trays being constantly placed right in front of me, which was disturbing when trying to sleep, etc - not to mention the screen even being partially blocked without consideration. I was surprised to find that the food service blocked both emergency exits on the 747 upper deck for a good portion of the travel time - how is that acceptable and not a safety violation over an extended period?

Row 84 with Food / Wine Trays on top

Both exit doors blocked during service
They are not expecting to use those doors inflight.

Last edited by oliver2002; Mar 27, 2023 at 12:54 am
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
I was surprised to find that the food service blocked both emergency exits on the 747 upper deck for a good portion of the travel time - how is that acceptable and not a safety violation over an extended period?
You are not allowed to block emergency rows/door or bulkhead rows during take off and landing. When the plane is in flight, this restriction doesn't apply.
Incidentally, I was surprised that other airlines, eg. United, don't care about bags and stuff in emergency rows during take off and landing. I was under the impression that all respectable airlines must comply with the same safety rules.
curt and chris63 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by chris63
They are not expecting to use those doors inflight.
Of course. I was thinking more so in case of a sudden emergency landing which wouldn't allow time for that stuff to be moved first from both exits. Acknowledging that probability is rare at that point in flight and there are larger issues to be concerned about at that point if that happens...
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Of course. I was thinking more so in case of a sudden emergency landing which wouldn't allow time for that stuff to be moved first from both exits. Acknowledging that probability is rare at that point in flight and there are larger issues to be concerned about at that point if that happens...
Apart from clear air turbulence, they get advanced warning of WX & shut down service & associated kit in time, a catastrophic failure is never going to be good & pax will complain if service in J is disjointed
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Hello all, I recently flew LH779 SIN-FRA on the 747-8 in Business. I was on the upper deck, seat 88H (Last row of the upper deck, aisle seat) and had a great flight. The J cabin on the main deck looked very comfortable as well, but for me opportunities to fly on a 747 upper deck are exceedingly rare these days, so I would definitely choose an upper deck seat if available.

If anyone is interested, I did a full trip report on my experience on LH779 here (Link to external SQTalk site).
rhizopod, psusaver and 108912 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.