Search

A Senator sues LH because of increased "miles prices"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
One accecpts the t&c if one joins M&M.
Accepting the terms and conditions attached to any relationship doesn't secure an absence of conflict. Marriage springs to mind .

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
If you are not satisfied with what you get, simply leave the programm as you will not fly an airline
Well, yes, but easier said than done. Lufthansa must be testing the limits as it gradually reduces M&M members' benefits across all levels, but inertia, accumulated miles and the alliance-wide benefits make the programme difficult to ditch.

BA is going through a radical re-structuring of its programme, and although some aspects of the change were not so well handled, the net result is a patchy one of winners and losers - but shaped by a clear(ish) strategy not focussed on the euphemistic accounting imperative put foward by Lufthansa's apologists.

This accounting imperative has been handled in an unimaginative way by Lufthansa. Simply putting up redemption rates to use up the overhanging mileage bank is pretty brutal. Playing around with demand curves might lead them to try REDUCING redemption rates and introducing innovative structures: perhaps preferring to offload capacity into the programme rather than having half-price business-class sales.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
LH now has a reputation that is not very good. It changes the rules without notice and has left many of us high and dry. It changed the K fare in July and has now burned many of us who had bought that fare class before the change who cannot now credit it for miles to any airline program. Nor can UA elites use their SWUs on that fare, even though our certs say it's an eligible fare.

Last week, LH demanded Aeroplan charge the fuel surcharge on all its flights, raising award tickets by $200-$500 depending upon how much LH space was on the itinerary. And there was only a few days notice!

I wish this fellow all the best in his efforts. LH has to be taught it cannot change things arbitrarily without negative implications! I hope the German and EU courts recognize that FF programs are one sided contracts and the infamous "without notice" clauses illegal!!!!!! There has been a shift in recognition of how one-sided such contracts are, particularly in the US where credit card laws have radically shifted the balance to the consumer (though not as far as should be).
Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Last week, LH demanded Aeroplan charge the fuel surcharge on all its flights, raising award tickets by $200-$500 depending upon how much LH space was on the itinerary. And there was only a few days notice!
Citation needed that it was LH request not AirCanada getting more greedy. I doubt they pass YQ to LH.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 5:06 am

It changed the K fare in July and has now burned many of us who had bought that fare class before the change who cannot now credit it for miles to any airline program. Nor can UA elites use their SWUs on that fare, even though our certs say it's an eligible fare.
AFAIK, K fares bought before the A++ mapping took place are changed to other corresponing midflex booking classes.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
No, they where not. At least not in my case.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by red star
AFAIK, K fares bought before the A++ mapping took place are changed to other corresponing midflex booking classes.
Perhaps when LH made the change itself in July, but notice was not sent to other STAR carriers for several weeks or months and thus K fares purchased in this period remain unchanged and don't earn mileage in programs like Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slowly
Citation needed that it was LH request not AirCanada getting more greedy. I doubt they pass YQ to LH.
You're parroting the cynical line from ignorant commentators on the AC forum who suspect it was AC that made the change and pockets the money. It was LH requesting under the marketing pooling agreement it has with AC that the same practice be applied to its award tickets that are applied to AC's. If AC is pocketing the money, then that is theft and commercial fraud. Are you suggesting AC is committing fraud?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
You're parroting the cynical line from ignorant commentators on the AC forum who suspect it was AC that made the change and pockets the money. It was LH requesting under the marketing pooling agreement it has with AC that the same practice be applied to its award tickets that are applied to AC's. If AC is pocketing the money, then that is theft and commercial fraud. Are you suggesting AC is committing fraud?
Please let me ignore personal attacks and ask again –.your source?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If AC is pocketing the money, then that is theft and commercial fraud. Are you suggesting AC is committing fraud?
I stand to be corrected if things have changed but my understanding was that YQs were kept by the ticketing carrier, however counter-intuitive and bizarre this might seem. Why would sticking to standard IATA practices and agreements be theft and commercial fraud in this case?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: M&M Sen
Originally Posted by red star
Source for this info? None of my flights booked in K class were changed to other booking classes.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by dracjimm
Source for this info? None of my flights booked in K class were changed to other booking classes.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...01jul2011.html
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by krausolany
In Germany a LH Sneator is suing LH because of the increased miles prices at the end of 2010. He says that his miles account is devaluated by up to 40%, i.e. you now need 210.000 miles to go to Asia in first instead of 180.000 as it was before.
His main argument is that LH informed the M&M members only 4 weeks before the change took place and he did obviously not have enough time to spend the miles in that period.
The official hearing starts at Jan. 27 2012.

Let's see what happens, will be interesting for most of us

Source (in German):
http://www.ftd.de/unternehmen/handel.../60133334.html
So what has come out of the OP's court hearing? Did they settle, or can we hope for a public verdict?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
So what has come out of the OP's court hearing? Did they settle, or can we hope for a public verdict?
This will take months if not years until there is a legally binding final verdict.

Interestingly enough LH offered 45.000 miles compensation before the case went to court.
In the first hearing the judge offered to consider a 90.000 miles out of court settlement.
This was of course refused by the plaintiff.

http://www.derwesten.de/staedte/esse...id6307492.html

Last edited by Rambuster; Feb 6, 2012 at 3:47 am Reason: newspaper link added
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by Rambuster
This will take months if not years until there is a legally binding final verdict.

Interestingly enough LH offered 45.000 miles compensation before the case went to court.
In the first hearing the judge offered to consider a 90.000 miles out of court settlement.

45.000 miles is not even a coach ticket to the US Generous offer, Lufty
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster

Great find, Rambuster.

When LH devalued the miles, I had several million bonus miles in my account. As compensation, I asked for several hundred thousand miles of compensation.

LH politely declined. If this guy wins, I am next. I like LH, but if they try and steal from me I will pay back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.