Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Its a Feature, Not a Bug!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
Its a Feature, Not a Bug!

After being batted back and forth between reservations and web support, I have to vent a little.

My needs are simple: a V-class round trip SFO-JNB via FRA on LH metal. The fare is available on ITA software and seemingly available on the LH website. (My dates are in January, 2011, but the exact dates are irrelevant to the problem. The fare simply requires a Sunday stay.) After selecting the dates, I see availability in all economy fare classes - outbound and inbound - including "Economy Basic II" that corresponds to V-class. So far, so good, and the fare should be about $1629. However, after selecting the V-class outbound, the V-class inbound fares disappear as "not combinable."

I called reservations, which had no problem booking the exact dates and flights in V-class, albeit for about $30 more than the apparent online price. The $30 won't kill me and is besides the point. Why can't the website book a V-class round trip?

Back to web support for another 30 minutes. The agent saw the same problem, but then claimed to have overcome it. She then directed me to change browsers and security settings (and likely every other script in her notebook), all to no avail. After 20 minutes of this nonsense, I had her walk me through her "success," only to learn that she avoided the problem by picking a different fare (ineligible for upgrades) on the inbound.

I was then put on hold while she checked the list of known bugs. Inasmuch as this non-functionality had not been identified by her supervisor as a bug, it could not be a bug and must be an intended feature. Seriously! No plausible reason could be advanced for preventing online booking of a V-class roundtrip, but I was invited to call back tomorrow to discuss this with her supervisor.

Really amazing. By the way, the call center was in South Africa.

Marc
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
What a great example why I book all my long haul with a good TA!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Same here - good TAs are best bet in many cases...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Same here - good TAs are best bet in many cases...
And they keep an overview of the tickets bought which I update with legs flown. So they check unused legs when booking new tickets first. Paradise..
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:19 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Similar situation...

The LX Website allows you to book r/t or o/w itins, but not any open jaw and/or multi segment trips. This sucks big time and it reinforces the statement made before that you need a good TA.

I tried to book

MUC LX xZRH LX RMF // HRG LX xZRH LH MUC

and all the website allowed me to book was either

MUC LX/LH xZRH LX RMF LX xZRH LX/LH MUC or
MUC LX/LH xZRH LX HRG LX xZRH LX/LH MUC

Trying to book two o/w tickets did yield Y as fare class only, while V was widely available.

Needless to say that neither HRG nor RMF can be booked via the LH website...

Last edited by cas_de; Dec 29, 2010 at 2:25 am
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:44 am

any of you german guys are willing to share their ta? as my travelling seems to intensify in 2011 i'd appreciate a knowledgeable agent for my multi-leg trips...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:05 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Well I am fortunate enough that two ladies at my corp travel agency are helping me out on personal travel arrangements, too. Hence, I cannot really recommend anyone. Sorry...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: LH HON, Hilton DIA, Marriott Gold, Sixt DIA, AVIS Pres., AMEX Plat.
The problem of combining certain fares online is true for a lot of flights. It works on both ways as sometimes the website will allow you to combine fares that a TA cannot (had this recently with a ticket INN-FRA-JED-FRA-INN where the website combined D and Z class, the TA couldn’t)
Usually it helps to play around with the flight numbers as the whole fare rules thing is so complex that I doubt even LH understands everything they setup…
BTW the South Africa Call Center answers are often worth to be challenged…
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by LEJ-HUB
BTW the South Africa Call Center answers are often worth to be challenged
Could be this forum's quote of the year.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:37 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Originally Posted by mamb0
Could be this forum's quote of the year.
Do you expect anybody to top this in the next two days?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
There may be reason to use a great TA for some special bookings (e.g., round the world), but this looks like a case ANY TA could fix because they have access to a different booking mask. LH should just get their act right and fix the booking tool. And, in the meantime, waive the phone booking fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.