Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New M&M award chart from 03JAN2011 in C & F [rumour confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
I guess one important question is still the issue of availability vs. costs. Just booked 4 C-Class awards AMS to HKG for July/August on LH - no availability whatsoever on BA for these two months. I guess with the increase in the number of miles out there chasing awards, a price increase is the only way out for airlines. Higher C- and F-award prices is obviously also consistent with expected increases in 2011 for cash fares for C and F.

For a family with 2 kids < 12 yrs and a Senator in the family, M&M is still a good option, where we pay only for 3 awards for 4 pax. As long as this stays, it is attractive, at least for me. Now, if they could only improve the C-product (both soft and hard)...

Finally, I found the anouncement on the M&M web-site pretty straight forward (apart from the embarassing issue of not linking the new award chart). They made it clear that there are good and bad news and referred clearly to "increases" not "adjustments" or "enhancements". I wonder whether they had planned to come out with this a few days later and were "forced" into more rapid action due to discussions on FT, which explains their somewhat odd wording and IT glitches.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I don't think it's funny. Literally interpreted it could mean that for award flights booked earlier but taking place after 3 January 2011 the new terms and conditions would apply.
That's why I highlighted it.
So now they want additional miles for award tickets for 2011 which have already been issued ?

"Sorry Sir, we cannot check you in until you cough up another 30k miles!"
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LonLH
I just switched my LON-HKG vacation trip to EK F- excellent fare of around GBP 2000 per pax without any restrictions as it books into F (my TA has a 2-for-1 with EK and is pushing it aggressively). Miles go to CO as non-status miles. The cheapest I could get on LH family was GBP 5000 per person which books in A.

With the new enhancements to M/M, Skywards is starting to look as a feasible alternative to M/M...

SQ also is pushing C and F to Far East and OZ.
An excellent point.
LH will certainly be able to say "people complain but we still get their business". For me- when travelling to Beijing- LH is by far the best option. However- destinations like Australia, South Africa- Emirates provides a very solid second choice.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rambuster
That's why I highlighted it.
So now they want additional miles for award tickets for 2011 which have already been issued ?

"Sorry Sir, we cannot check you in until you cough up another 30k miles!"
OK, I got it. It was far too early in the morning.

"And we need your HON/SEN/FTL/M&M card and the PIN!"
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The German version is correct:
"Diese Änderungen gelten für alle Flugprämien, die ab dem 3. Januar 2011 gebucht werden. Zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt gebuchte Prämienflüge, die erst nach dem 3. Januar 2011 stattfinden, werden zu den bisher gültigen Konditionen durchgeführt."
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Diese Änderungen gelten für alle Flugprämien, die ab dem 3. Januar 2011 gebucht werden. Zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt gebuchte Prämienflüge, die erst nach dem 3. Januar 2011 stattfinden, werden zu den bisher gültigen Konditionen durchgeführt."
Rambuster- are we going to have meet up in the DXB lounge now?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:40 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

And links to the revised award chart. I'll stick to the English version, thank you very much!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:50 am

This is also funny:

"These changes will apply to all flight awards booked as of 3 January 2011. For award flights booked at an earlier date which do not take place until after 3 January 2011, the previous terms and conditions will apply."
I don't think it's funny. Literally interpreted it could mean that for award flights booked earlier but taking place after 3 January 2011 the new terms and conditions would apply.
The German version is correct
The English version is equally correct - and rather unambiguous, I might add.

For award flights booked at an earlier date which do not take place until after 3 January 2011, the previous terms and conditions will apply.
This is saying exactly the same as the German version. No room for interpretation here.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Rambuster- are we going to have meet up in the DXB lounge now?
DXB, BAH, DOH or AUH sound like good options to me !
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:01 am

Well- I am not sure why you would be confused- there is a person at LH who has a job related to following social media- this board is part of social media- it would surely not hurt to write a message and at least point out the positives of this change.
Much as I would like LH to consider FT as one of the main vehicles of communicating with its customers, let's face it they have their own social media presence such as Facebook and Twitter with over 100,000 "fans" for the former and 47,000 followers for the latter. FT may have a much higher proportion of status members represented but we simply cannot compete with the more "popular" social media.

It's true that LHrelate sometimes posted advance notices of special offers and sales on FT, but as far as I understand LHrelate and LHconnect are on FT to respond to FTers' questions and forward problems to the appropriate sections of LH rather than to act as a mouthpiece for LH/M&M.

Even if LHconnect wanted to post something on FT I don't think she could have done so until the official announcement was made on the M&M website and by that time more information (which turned out to be accurate) was available on FT than she could have posted in any case.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
An excellent point.
LH will certainly be able to say "people complain but we still get their business". For me- when travelling to Beijing- LH is by far the best option. However- destinations like Australia, South Africa- Emirates provides a very solid second choice.
EK may not be in the same league as SQ and CX, but so far I had good experience with them in F. With a price difference of GBP 2000-3000 per pax and a much broader schedule to choose from LON (7 flights a day), it is getting more and more difficult to justify flying LX (which is a much better F than LH).

So more and more of my business travel is leaking to CX and SQ (fares are 20-30% lower than LH family) and my lesiure travel is switching to EK. And Mrs LonLH, who is a major decision maker in terms of which carrier to choose for our leisure travel (2-3 trips per year in F for 3 typically) is of the opinion that she would prefer EK F to LH F any day. LX and BD are primarily only for intra-Europe travel these days.

During my last SQ flight (where I was the only pax in a 777ER), the purser was complaining that SQ is seeing major loss of Europe- Asia/oz premium traffic to EK (and to a lesser degree EY).
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much as I would like LH to consider FT as one of the main vehicles of communicating with its customers, let's face it they have their own social media presence such as Facebook and Twitter with over 100,000 "fans" for the former and 47,000 followers for the latter. FT may have a much higher proportion of status members represented but we simply cannot compete with the more "popular" social media.

It's true that LHrelate sometimes posted advance notices of special offers and sales on FT, but as far as I understand LHrelate and LHconnect are on FT to respond to FTers' questions and forward problems to the appropriate sections of LH rather than to act as a mouthpiece for LH/M&M.

Even if LHconnect wanted to post something on FT I don't think she could have done so until the official announcement was made on the M&M website and by that time more information (which turned out to be accurate) was available on FT than she could have posted in any case.
Good points NewbieRunner.
However- over the CO board for example there has been great information from COInsider.
Starwood Lurker is very helpful.
Andrew Yiu from Air Canada is also great.
LH dropped a ball here- at least this morning there could have been a "don't shoot the messenger" type of communication.
When I have met with LH executives- they are extremely familiar with FT- this is where they learned about the PJ HON unwitting promotion for example.
Or what about an email to status members today stating "if you want to book at the lower redemption levels please do so by 31DEC2010".
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LonLH
During my last SQ flight (where I was the only pax in a 777ER), the purser was complaining that SQ is seeing major loss of Europe- Asia/oz premium traffic to EK (and to a lesser degree EY).
Yes- and so the obvious response is to devalue your frequent flyer program.
To London, BA provide a quite good service- and they just increased the value of their frequent flyer program- as a lowly Silver member I can use the lounge for example- and I will arrive at Gold with the new Tier Point adjustments.
To Germany, Air Berlin gets better every day with very realiable direct flights.
Spain- Even Iberia is improving.
LH- The cost of tickets has increased considerably this year with Z being frequently unavailable.
CX service is excellent and nonstops from MXP are great for the NE Italy market.
SQ the same as CX with extremely agressive pricing.
EK- I don't know how they do it, but you are right that F almost always costs less than LH C.
Now if only there was a good option to France...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:19 am

Israel, Egypt....

On the old award chart, if the adress was in Israel, Jordan, Egypt.... one was able to fly for the european rate Business 45000, Economy 30000 in case the ticket started in that country.

old chart:
3) For members residing
in Algeria, Egypt, Israel,
Jordan, Lebanon, Libya,
Morocco, Syria and
Tunisia, the award
levels for Europe apply.
The journey must start
in the member’s
country of residence.

This little 3) is gone on the new chart. Does that mean that this benefit was also "enhanced" ?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:33 am

Haha... Lack was right, more or less. First the good news!!

all in bold. And now the bad news:

Why do they have to repeat "First and Business Class" ? Do they think anyone spending enough miles to get First or Business Class awards are too stupid to realise they can fly in First or Business Class?
I would say that this kind of balanced communication is better than the previous "enhanced" language used, it does not try to conceal any bad news and does clearly say that some things will get worse (will require increased mileage levels). But yes, they only highlighted the positive news in bold which might be a job saving exercise for any marketing person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.