Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by LHrelate
ALL FLIGHTS FROM USA/CA/LATAM TODAY (16APR) WILL BE DELAYED/CANCELED UNTIL TOMORROW. NO FLIGHTS FROM THE AMERICAS TO EUROPE.

ALL FLIGHTS FROM GERMANY TO THE USA/CA/LATAM TOMORROW (17APR) WILL BE CANCELED. NO FLIGHTS FROM GERMANY TO THE AMERICAS.

These statements are confirmed by FRA Operations who is working constantly to update the canceled flights in Amadeus and on LH.com. Therefore if you see a flight on LH.com that shows operational despite these statements it simply means FRA hasn't gotten to that flight yet to mark it as canceled.

Outbound flights from the Americas tomorrow will probably be full of cancellations since none are coming in (though I heard we have still some aircraft on this side so we'll see). However none of those are marked canceled in the system yet and I have no official statement which will probably come tomorrow.
How do you tell when the postings actually took place. All the replies shown have a date and time in April 15?????
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:38 pm
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Official LH Real Person
Exclamation Rebooking Policy as of 16APR 14:45 UTC

Version 3 16APR 14:45 UTC

Eligibility:
Pax holding tickets issued before 16APR2010 for canceled LH flights scheduled for 15-19APR2010

Rebooking:
  • New travel date must be before 31MAY2010 and within ticket's original validity (maximum stay)
  • For flights rebooked to 22APR or later, change of fare bucket/compartment is not permitted
  • For flights rebooked to 21APR or before, change of fare bucket within same compartment is permitted
  • Ticketed fare rules respective to allowed operating carriers must be observed

Refund:
  • Tickets issued by OAL must contact OAL for refund processing
  • LH-issued tickets (unused) are eligible for full refund without penalty or administrative fee
  • LH-issued tickets (used) are eligible for pro-rated refund without penalty or administrative fee

Should call center reps advise you otherwise, please request that they review specifically the operating carrier part... I am in contact with the N. American call center but not the others.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Danau
How do you tell when the postings actually took place. All the replies shown have a date and time in April 15?????
At the bottom of that post in italics it shows a comment from me where I post reason for editing and the time/date.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I was just coming back to post this having talked to M&M just now (please forgive me, I am in Sales still and so all correspondence I receive has to do with revenue tickets).

Award tickets must be rebooked on LH ops and into award inventory.

I know this really limits your options and I wish I could change it If I learn that it changes I will definitely post asap.

Best,
Michelle
for that. How low can LH go on this? I always believed there was nothing below Delta, but this is pathetic. If LH can't get such a trivial thing sorted out they should be ashamed of themselves.
My wife is stuck in BOS right now on a X-class ticket. Actually she volunteered to give up her seat earlier in the week for an overbooked flight when LH GUARANTEED her to get her on the next flight out to Europe. Now they claim 'act of god' and your next ‘available’ flight is on Tuesday ... well, this is what small claims courts will have to sort out ... it's simply a breach of contact, no more and no less. Claiming nothing is available after a VDB when I can see availability in the database is not what I came to expect of LH. With a ton of screenshots in my hand we’ll see if the station manager in Boston has a sense of reality; I sure hope he is going to avoid major drama tomorrow.
Everybody understands the situation, but what LH played in the US today is not only a violation of EU law, it is disrespectful and as a *G I will certainly have to take such a poor service into consideration next time I book travel.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Rambuster
So all outbound flights on the 17th towards North America nd Latin America are cancelled.
What about Asia bound flights ?
the later flights out of FRA still show as operating, such as FRA-BOS
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I am scheduled to fly SFO-FRA on UA 900 on 17 April, then connecting to LH 12 to HAM on 18 April.

United will not let me cancel the trip if they still are flying to FRA .... so I hope not to arrive in FRA on Sunday morning .... only to be stranded because the Lufthansa flights were canceled while we were in the air!

I know it may not be a shared sentiment .... but I am hoping for prolonged cancellations, since I now want to stay home and not even travel this week. (I never thought I'd say that!)
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
the later flights out of FRA still show as operating, such as FRA-BOS
And this is actually a problem for me, since I can't get a change through UA (issuer) until they see it as officially canceled.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

kevinsac: If you do not want to travel you can get a refund, or a partial refund if you have already used part of your ticket - contact the issuing carrier or your travel agency to do that.

UPDATED: Sorry, I skimmed over the part where UA won't let you change until flight is canceled; now I understand your hope.

cfischer: I will let the station management know to expect you. Good luck to you and your wife!

Last edited by LHrelate; Apr 16, 2010 at 8:34 pm Reason: comment to kevinsac updated
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:10 pm
TKG

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Star Alliance Gold
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the useful link. Tried the Senator line again, and was told that the additional miles would apply due to the three-region routing. She suggested I take up my complaint with Lufthansa customer service if I wasn't happy with the mile surcharge, which doesn't help me much in the meantime.

Interestingly, I was also told that Lufthansa's official position is that no accommodation nor meals will be provided, in spite of what is written on the website.

Originally Posted by peter42
Printout the EU 261 and try again.

They even on the LH-page here: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...l=en&cid=18002

"
Cancellation

If your flight, for which you hold a valid reservation, is cancelled, you are entitled to re-routing, care, refund and compensation as laid out here above. You are not entitled to receive a compensation if the cancellation is attributed to extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided, even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Examples include bad weather conditions, political instability, strikes, security, risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings.
Equally, there is no right to compensation when the passenger has been informed of the cancellation:

* at least 14 days before the schedule time of departure
* between 14 and 7 days before the schedule time of departure and the alternative flight departs no more than 2 hours before the originally schedule time of departure and reaches the final destination less than 4 hours after the schedule time of arrival
* less than 7 days before schedule time of departure and the alternative flight departs no more than 1 hour before the originally schedule time of departure and reaches final destination less than 2 hours after the schedule time of arrival.

"

So no compensation of course but re-routing and care.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
UA award ticket (016) on LF flight canceled

Who should I contact to get my United miles and taxes back for a LH flight that was canceled due to the volcano?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
kevinsac: If you do not want to travel you can get a refund, or a partial refund if you have already used part of your ticket - contact the issuing carrier or your travel agency to do that.

UPDATED: Sorry, I skimmed over the part where UA won't let you change until flight is canceled; now I understand your hope.
Ja, ja! That's the problem. I'd like to know before I board my flt from Sacramento at SFO at 8:15 am ..... if UA 900 (17Apr) is operating .... and what the forecast is for LH12 on 18Apr.

At this point, I'd like to cancel altogether. I do not want to show up in FRA ..... and fight for space to sleep on the cots or on the floor, just because my connecting LH flt is cancelled ..... and the DB is sold out .... and the hotels are booked up .... and no rentals cars available.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Who should I contact to get my United miles and taxes back for a LH flight that was canceled due to the volcano?
Hi ChinaShrek,

If you used United miles for your ticket that means they issued it; therefore you need to request your refund directly from United Airlines.

Best,
Michelle
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat
Hi,

Just our story...

My wife and I are in HKG. We were bound for LX139 yesterday evening 16/04 for ZRH and to fly from there to BRU (last leg of our honeymoon trip on an award ticket in I). On sunday we should fly to BCN via FRA on LH (in Y).

Easiest for us is to skip the BRU part (we normally had to attend a wedding there) and fly to BCN instead. This could be via IST or SIN/MXP for example.
But even if possible, these flights to Europe will be full already I guess.

Hard is that nobody is giving any info.
Yesterday we were sent away at the aiport with the local LX tel number and today calling they tell us "to call back later, sir". LH SEN service in Germany is simply not reachable -well, I hang up after 30 min waiting. And LH SEN line in Spain tells me they cannot rebook anything and that all is full for the next 10 days anyway.

All airlines tell not to go to the airport, but in the meanwhile we are making personal expenses in HKG (telephone +100 EUR + hotel etc), and I fear that we will not get out quickly, being on an award ticket and given the amount of HON cards I saw yesterday evening in only 15 min at the LH and LX check-in desks.

Anyone any ideas?
Go to the airport and sleep on the ground :-)

Regards!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:48 am

April 16th DEL-FRA-DEN

DEL-FRA > Diverted to DEL-MUC

After exceptional effort by LH staff and just luck i would think,

MUC-CLT + CLT - DEN

After 36 hours (Airport to Airport) We have made it to DEN but my BAGS HAVE NOT. I was travelling with 4 Big overweight bags, full of samples for my3 week business trip and none of them made it here. LH has no info, US AIR has no info - apparently all flights are cancelled tomorrow and best bet is Monday.

If LH can put me and wife (SEN's both) on a flight, why not our bags? Espcially when we took extra time with the Service Rep to highlight its importance!

Secondly, what would be the compensation for this, if any? Question of 'act of god' does not arise since they did get us to out destination (quite pointless without the bags).

For my sake as well as everybody else affected by this - I hope the airports open up asap!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
DelSen: Be happy that you are at least at your destination and not stranded at airport somewhere... Many other people are not so lucky, sleeping on floors in the transit halls... So considering all that, I think your whinging is rather inappropriate if not even rude... Just imagine those two poor people who did not make it to their own wedding in Rome...

And for the compensation? I sincerely hope that LH gives you ONE BIG NOTHING!

Last edited by vbroucek; Apr 17, 2010 at 1:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.