FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/736477-consolidated-customs-immigration-lax-thread.html)

EK029 Mar 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Hey

I am flying into LAX TBIT on BA279 from London Heathrow, arriving at 1255hrs local time.

Is this peak time for arrivals? I have a connecting domestic flight that is scheduled to depart out of Terminal 4 two hours later...

Will I make it? And are the passport control lines horrendous at that time of the day? Non US/Canadian passport holder.

bzcat Mar 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by EK029 (Post 20470292)
Hey

I am flying into LAX TBIT on BA279 from London Heathrow, arriving at 1255hrs local time.

Is this peak time for arrivals? I have a connecting domestic flight that is scheduled to depart out of Terminal 4 two hours later...

Will I make it? And are the passport control lines horrendous at that time of the day? Non US/Canadian passport holder.

Mid day is fairly busy at TBIT with several wide body arrivals from Europe and north Asia.

The general rule of thumb for doing international to domestic transfer at LAX is 2.5 hours minimum if you are in the same terminal or another terminal on the same side of the horseshoe (e.g. TBIT to T4, T2 to T1). 3 hours if it involves change or terminal on the other side of the horseshoe (e.g. T2 to T6, TBIT to T1).

You'll need about 60 to 90 minutes to complete the immigration and custom process at TBIT. And probably another 20~30 minutes to check in at T4 and clear security.

I would say 2 hours is cutting it close but you can probably make it if you have BA/One World status and just carry on bags. T4 is a very short walk from TBIT once you exit the custom area to curb side (about 50 meters to the right). Security line at T4 should be moderate but it would help a lot if you have One World status to get you to the front of the line.

Is your connecting flight on the same ticket/PRN as your LHR-LAX flight? And where to? If it is on the same ticket, most likely AA will hold your departure flight for a few minutes until you show up. But I would investigate if there is a later flight on AA to your final destination.

quickcanuck Mar 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by debracey (Post 20468185)
Having done an international arrival via T6/T7 at LAX 3 times in the last year -- here are my observations.

This is absolutely THE WORST CBP processing area in the US. It is a shameful way to greet people coming in from Australia and the far East where their customs facilities are modern and well organized. The facility, much like the terminals it sits below, is pitiful and needs to be condemned.

There is absolutely no way that fire code regulations are being followed when 1 widebody full of people are in there -- let alone three (!) as was the case one time last year when I went through. In that particular situation (May 2012) -- the room was packed full so that nobody could move. According to LAX airport authority, the airlines are supposed to provide staff to direct people to lines, etc. To date I have never seen a staff member (eventually a UA guy did show up in May 2012, after the room was jammed to the gills.)

There are only three ways you will make this:
* If YLW is a US preclear airport -- in which case you just walk off the plane
* If you have Global Entry and check no bags (or have priority baggage)
* Some kind of delay with your Air China flight

Keep in mind that you will have to walk to T2 -- which is about a 10 minute walk.

If you keep your existing flights -- good luck! You're gonna need it.

-- Dan

Edit: Most international flights close 2 hrs prior to departure, perhaps 1.5 hours if you're lucky. Given that time frame, you have anywhere from 13 minutes to 43 minutes to clear immigration, customs, walk to T2 and check in. The walk to TBIT is a good 10 minutes, leaving you with only 33 minutes to clear immigration/customs. Very, very, very tight.

Edit #2: Change TBIT to T2, his flight departs from T2.

Thanks for the feedback. I am flying UA in J and CA in F so I'm hoping that will let me be one of the first off the UA flight, and if it is on time it should come in before the wide bodies start to arrive at around 11:30. Also, since this all on one ticket should I not be able to check in to my destination (PEK) when I check in with UA in YLW, and therefore avoid the international checkin deadline?

OskiBear Mar 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by quickcanuck (Post 20489306)
Thanks for the feedback. I am flying UA in J and CA in F so I'm hoping that will let me be one of the first off the UA flight, and if it is on time it should come in before the wide bodies start to arrive at around 11:30. Also, since this all on one ticket should I not be able to check in to my destination (PEK) when I check in with UA in YLW, and therefore avoid the international checkin deadline?

It looks like the Kelowna flight comes in after the Sydney flight but before the Tokyo flight. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that YLW has preclearance in Canada so you'll have to go through at LAX. You'll then be behind the 747 passengers in the immigration line.

irmster Mar 31, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm flying into TBIT with my 77 year old mother (on BA) with a 2.5 hour connection to Southwest.

Seems likes it's far too tight having read the above. We are flying in F, and I have booked a wheelchair for her as she is not very mobile. If I recall from last time, if you walk off the plane to the chair waiting on the bridge, they don't keep you on until everyone has got off - is that correct? Is there a separate immigration line that they wheel her through - she doesn't mind waiting in line as long as she is not standing.

think I may need to change the connecting flight to allow more time.

steveo3002 May 15, 2013 11:28 am

how busy is imigration likley to be at T2 -7.45pm

ive seen the comments on the forum about some folk being kept on the plane for an extra hour , how would i find out if many other flights are due in at the same time

OskiBear May 15, 2013 1:13 pm

You can check the LAX site at: http://www.lawa.org/fsw/default.aspx

Just do a search for Terminal 2 and you can see the scheduled arrivals at any given time in the day.

Remember that domestic flights and Air Canada flights from many Canadian airport pre-clear in Canada so they won't be going through immigration/customs.

When I went through around that time last year (coming in on NZ from LHR), it was pretty busy.

steveo3002 May 15, 2013 1:17 pm

thanks..im also on air nz from london

Arrow29 May 20, 2013 5:27 am

Hi all,

Am I right in understanding that domestic arrivals into LAX (in my case from JFK) have no customs/immigration and I'll simply need to collect my baggage? I'm flying from LAX - SIN at 15:45pm on SQ and was looking to book a United flight that departs JFK 08:30 and arrives LAX 11:40am.

This is probably a bit of overkill, leaving 4hrs from arrival to departure, but I figure if there is a delay or long customs/security lines when checking in for my SQ flight it will leave enough time. Plus hopefully the new StarAlliance lounge will be open by September and I'll be able to pass time there.

HkCaGu May 20, 2013 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Arrow29 (Post 20779792)
Hi all,

Am I right in understanding that domestic arrivals into LAX (in my case from JFK) have no customs/immigration and I'll simply need to collect my baggage? I'm flying from LAX - SIN at 15:45pm on SQ and was looking to book a United flight that departs JFK 08:30 and arrives LAX 11:40am.

This is probably a bit of overkill, leaving 4hrs from arrival to departure, but I figure if there is a delay or long customs/security lines when checking in for my SQ flight it will leave enough time. Plus hopefully the new StarAlliance lounge will be open by September and I'll be able to pass time there.

Correct. No customs/immigration. Just bag collection (if you're not able to check through). You'll surely have to re-clear security as UA's T7 is quite separate from SQ's TBIT.

bzcat May 20, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi all,

UA should be able to check your luggage all the way to SIN so it's not even an issue. 4 hours is plenty enough for this connection. You can get away with 2 hours if you are a gambling man.

IceTrojan May 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi all,

If it's a nice day, I'd walk from T7 to TBIT on the upper level... lower level tends to be dark, dank, and noisy from the sound bouncing back down from the elevated road. If you don't want to walk, you can take the LAX Shuttle Bus A, which stops at all the terminals in the lower level. From T7, it will just loop back to T1 > T2 > T3 > TBIT

And of course, there's always In-n-Out.

Arrow29 May 22, 2013 6:58 am

Thanks for the advice, everybody :) Really appreciate it.

Sounds like with our SQ flight leaving at 15:45pm, I'm definitely being conservative with the United flight that arrives LAX at 11:40am!

Am now considering a Delta flight that is scheduled to touchdown in LAX at 12:05pm that is approx $100USD cheaper than the United flight. We have next to no experience with domestic US carriers and so I'll have to do some research on whether one airline is clearly preferred over the other, but may go ahead and book the Delta flight, as from what everyone has been saying, 3.5hrs should still give us plenty of time to get baggage and check-in for our SQ flight.

Thanks again!

IceTrojan May 22, 2013 11:49 am

$100 savings is definitely some nice change in your pocket. I would check to make sure DL interlines with SQ so that your bags can be checked all the way through (no reason they shouldn't be).

AA, B6 (JetBlue), DL, UA, VX all fly JFK-LAX direct.

TWA884 May 24, 2013 11:16 am

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 20793438)
AA, B6 (JetBlue), DL, UA, VX all fly JFK-LAX direct nonstop.

Corrected.