FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/736477-consolidated-customs-immigration-lax-thread.html)

flyingrohit Oct 12, 18 8:49 pm

Hi Kara,

you are correct.

When you arrive from auckland on AA, you wonít clear immigration at T4. Rather youíll take a 10 min long walk that takes you all the way from your arrival gate in T4 to the TBIT immigration lines through the connector and from there you can use a global entry kiosk to get out quickly. With AA itís convenient that they are connected to TBIT with a short walk. Hope this helps! Cheers!

karam Oct 12, 18 9:06 pm

Thank you so much flyingrohit for your reply. I do remember a bit of walk last time but did not realize at the time I was entering a different terminal! That is good to know as I see the enrollment on arrival for the global entry starts from 6am at TBIT and not until 10am at T4 and my flight gets in about 6.30am. Thanks Kara

Oaxaca Dec 1, 18 3:28 pm

Been quite a while since I connected at LAX, certainly not since the new TBIT connector was put in place. With an upcoming international>domestic connection on AA, have read the various threads but am still a little unclear.

AA internstional flight is currently slated to arrive in T4, gate 41, and the onward domestic from T4 gate 45. Obviously I have to clear immigration, customs and security en-route between gates, but not clear exactly where all that will happen. Will I have to go to TBIT to clear immigration and customs, or can that be done in T4? And where would security happen?

I will be travelling with carry-on only, and have Global Entry. Looking to understand what would be the quickest routing through immigration, customs and security for the onward flight, it’s a relatively tight connection at 1h40.

Thanks for any guidance.

LupineChemist Dec 1, 18 4:42 pm

I believe from 41 you have to go to TBIT. But it's irrelevant since you either go through T4 or TBIT and you don't get to choose. If you get to TBIT, just walk back over to T4 to use the precheck line.

TWA884 Dec 1, 18 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 30488640)
I believe from 41 you have to go to TBIT.

Not necessarily. There is an immigration and customs facility in T4, it is located in the northwest corner of the arrival area. However, its hours are limited. If you arrive when the T4 Federal Inspections Services facility is closed, you will directed to continue in the tunnel to the TBIT FIS.

Oaxaca Dec 2, 18 12:54 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 30489040)
Not necessarily. There is an immigration and customs facility in T4, it is located in the northwest corner of the arrival area. However, its hours are limited. If you arrive when the T4 Federal Inspections Services facility is closed, you will directed to continue in the tunnel to the TBIT FIS.

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1000184971569528832

Thanks, my flight is scheduled to arrive in that time window, sounds promising. After T4 immigration, is there a different route to customs and/or security if you do or don’t have checked bags, or is it all the same?

TWA884 Dec 2, 18 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca (Post 30489532)

Thanks, my flight is scheduled to arrive in that time window, sounds promising. After T4 immigration, is there a different route to customs and/or security if you do or don’t have checked bags, or is it all the same?

You'll exit the FIS facility on the arrival level of T4. Just take the escalators or elevators up to the departure level and proceed to the TSA security checkpoint. The entrance to the PreCheck lanes is on the east end of terminal.

Eastbay1K Dec 3, 18 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 30490510)
The entrance to the PreCheck lanes is on the east end of terminal.

That is "toward T5" (right, if you go outside) or "away from TBIT" (not left, if you go outside) for those with no sense of direction or totally discombobulated after 10+ hours on a plane. It is also "back from the direction you probably landed." ;)

USA_flyer Feb 14, 19 2:08 am

Will be travelling with 2 US citizens to TBIT so can use the US citizen immigration lines. What are these lines like on a Saturday evening?

bzcat Feb 15, 19 12:12 pm

US Citizens and permanent residents are directed to use self-service kiosks at TBIT so they generally breeze right thru in about 20 minutes. Not sure how that works if you are not US passport holder.

Mr. LAU Feb 17, 19 10:03 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer (Post 30776827)
Will be travelling with 2 US citizens to TBIT so can use the US citizen immigration lines. What are these lines like on a Saturday evening?

Take a look at this link with the historical CBP waiting times:
CBP Airport Waiting Times

USA_flyer Feb 17, 19 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Mr. LAU (Post 30789200)
Take a look at this link with the historical CBP waiting times:
CBP Airport Waiting Times

That's a really cool report! At some point I'll break it to the missus that to avoid a long wait for immigration, we need to get off our plane pronto and walk sharply if we don't want to wait up to 90 minutes.

Repooc17 Feb 17, 19 10:48 am

If you are eligible, and travel international at least a couple of times annually, GE works wonder. On my recent trip back to the US (LAX), I clocked myself exiting to landside at TBIT after getting off the bus following arrival from a remote stand (AA180) - 3 minutes - ~1 minute walk to kiosk, ~30 seconds getting receipt, ~45 seconds to the special GE customs line. No checked luggage.