FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/736477-consolidated-customs-immigration-lax-thread.html)

LAX Gambit Dec 28, 2009 10:56 pm

kenish, their flight is next month.

mgalerians Jan 20, 2010 4:08 am

:)

So I'm super nervous right now :) Thanks everyone for answering. My parents just checked in at BKK. Good news is the baggages were checked through to SLC so I don't have to be so worried that they have to carry those big suitcases all the way to terminal 7.
I will update you guys if they make it...cross my fingers!!

mgalerians Jan 22, 2010 1:06 am

Tht made it to Salt Lake okay. Thanks you all!!

Silver Fox Jan 22, 2010 1:10 am

Perhaps there is a God then. I have lost count of the amount of times that I have had to beg to jump queues at LAX because of a 3 hour connection becoming a get-off, get-on Amazing Race-esque style of travel. I get shivers just thinking of connections through LAX.

mgalerians Jan 22, 2010 10:26 am

It's not that easy though. Here's some tips and story behind their successful trip.
1. Actually their TG flight got delayed, and that's when I thought that they were not gonna make it for sure.
2. My parents ran all the way from the gate to the immigration/passport control area and they said they were never this tired. They were among the first passengers in the 747 they flew in to reach the line at passport control.
3. Then the normal process went on. Once they got their 4 huge luggages and passed the customs, it was already about 8.10PM, when their next flight was at 8.53PM (boarding at 8.33PM).
4. The area that was supposed to take my parents' baggages for connecting flight refused to do so as they said they would only take bags 2 hours prior to the the next flight.
5. My parents dragged those luggages out of TBIT and waited for a shuttle bus and got to terminal 7.
6. There was 'NO' premier Check-in line that night!! By the time they reached UA counter it was already 8.40. Eventhough I did online check in, the lady at the counter wouldnt take their bags whatsoever since the baggages would not make it in time to the plane.
7. Luckily I sent my parents 2 cell phones with prepaid sim cards so I could contact them and asked to talk to the lady at the counter. It was already 8.45PM. I almost lost my hope.
8. I said I wouldn't mind if they just issue the boarding pass for my parents and fly their bags with any other flights the following day. She said no.
9. I then asked if there were any seats available the following day, and she said no. I was gonna cry.
10. Then I started begging for her help and she put me on hold. When she was back she said that UA flight was delayed for about 20 minutes.
11. Baggages were checked. My parents got their boarding passes. Ran through TSA. Ran to gate. Made it.
12. All 4 bags made it too.

It's really a miracle. We chanted Nam myoho renge kyo all the way through. And people just wanted to help us ;)

Hope this gives you guys some ideas.

pkhoosh Jul 7, 2010 7:33 pm

terminal opening time at LAX

What time do the terminals open at LAX? I have a flight at 6am from LAX connecting in JFK to Cairo.

bzcat Jul 8, 2010 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by pkhoosh (Post 14261331)
What time do the terminals open at LAX? I have a flight at 6am from LAX connecting in JFK to Cairo.

What airline?

Generally speaking 6 AM at LAX is busy for early morning domestic departures to the east coast.

AZ Travels the World Oct 18, 2010 1:54 pm

How much time to clear LAX TBIT on a Saturday morning?

I'm meeting some friends flying from China via ICN on Asiana Airlines into LAX on a Sunday morning. Their flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:10 AM. They're Chinese nationals who have a single entry visa -- but have been to the US multiple times over multiple years, so I don't expect any issues at immigration.

They're flying Business Class, so they should have something of a jump on the immigration lines, though I've been on this flight myself a couple of times and both times we came into a remote gate, so that off-the-plane advantage is quickly mitigated.

I'm wondering about how much time I should expect for them to process, claim their bags and exit customs/immigration. They speak very little English, so there is some confusion factor to the amount of time it will take them.

I'm flying from PHX to meet them and there is a flight on US arriving at 11:40 AM -- 30 minutes after they are scheduled to arrive. I'd like to take that flight, as the prior one arrives two hours earlier. I'll have to walk or bus from Terminal 1 down to TBIT. I've done it plenty, so that should take me max 15 minutes from T1 gate to TBIT.

I'm thinking it will probably take them about an hour, best case, to get through the entire process, but don't really recall what TBIT is like at 11:00ish on a Saturday morning. I don't mind them waiting for me for 10-15 minutes. I'd rather that than my having to wait 2+ hours for them.

What do you think? Should this work out ok? What kind of timing should I expect for them to get through the process?

Thanks!

SoCal Oct 20, 2010 6:08 am

It appers you really want to take the later flight, so you don't have to wait as long, but want others to tell you it's okay. You seem to have as much info as anyone else would have. Will it likely take them more time to get through Immigration and Customs, or you to get off your flight, on a Saturday morning then on any other day? Look to see what other flights arrive at about the same time. You've done the walk between the two terminals so know how long that will take. The shuttle bus will likely take as long as it does on any other day, or mayb a bit less since it's not a work day.

The time it will take them to get through Immigration and Customs also depends on how many other international flights using TBIT land at the same time. No way to know in advance. Your past experience is a good a gauge as any. As you know, once you're through with Customs, you leave the secure area at TBIT. If they get there and you haven't arrived yet, presumably it's just a simple matter of them waiting for you (with, hopefully, a Plan B if you don't show up due your fight being delayed, or something else). If it would be upsetting for them to arrive at the meeting place before you, then you know what you need to do (earlier flight).

You can find sites listing arrivals and departures for any airport. They may just list them on the same day, so take a look this Saturday. LAX is such a large airport, however, that it might be an awfully long list.

AZ Travels the World Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Originally Posted by skoenig (Post 14978405)
It appers you really want to take the later flight, so you don't have to wait as long, but want others to tell you it's okay.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter. While I definitely prefer to take the later flight, I honestly don't need anyone to tell me it's ok. I'm a big boy. Much as you walked through them, I understand the risks, and would have a clear plan and back up plan with them. They would have no problem at all waiting for me, but it's me that doesn't want them to have to do that for long, especially if I were to learn from my friends here that it was bound to happen.

What I was really hoping for was some experience at TBIT that I don't have. I've never arrived there as a foreign national. I rarely arrive there at all and it's been well over a year since the last time. Knowing some of the world travelers we have here, it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility that someone would say, "I take that flight every month -- it's consistently really crowded in immigration on the non-US side at that time and it will take at least an hour." Input from someone with more experience would just help me weigh the risks a little better.

Since posting this, I did find a great tool on flightstats.com. I can take any given day and see actual arrivals, in hour blocks, sorted by terminal. Unfortunately, with all the code shares, you see the same flight reported multiple times, but with some time studying it, I found that between 10:30 and 11:30 on the same day last week, five widebodies arrived at TBIT.

Finally, while I said Saturday in my original post, it's actually a Sunday I'm looking at. If that makes a difference to anyone.

Zarf4 Oct 20, 2010 11:33 am

I think it's a tough question to answer. I've done at least 15 trans-pac pickups at TBIT in the last 3 years and the greatest variability has always been landing times. Depending on airline ops & the jetstream I've had planes arrive 2 hrs early to 2 hrs late of the posted arrival time even if they departed on-time. Fortunately I'm about an hour away from LAX and can check the real-time arrival info before leaving home.

That said IF the plane arrives on the dot expect int'l Biz class pax to be cleared and be walking up the exit ramp about 1:15 or so after the plane lands and is towed to the arrival gate. Of course YMMV, but if it were me I'd take the later flight and apologize if their airline and US customs were 'too efficient" :)

One other thing, landing at terminal 1 is cool because you can jump on either the blue "A" airport loop bus or the "C" long-term parking bus as both will stop at TBIT. ("B" long term parking lot is shut down for maintenance)

AZ Travels the World Oct 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Thank you, Zarf4, that's very helpful. I've looked at the arrival times for this flight over the past month and it's consistently within a few minutes of schedule, so hopefully I don't have to worry about a wild swing -- or if so, it will be on the late side, rather than the early side. Your 1:15 approximation is about what I was guessing, so it's nice to have that validated by someone who has so much more experience at this than I do.

Of course, it's well within US Airways wheelhouse for my flight into LAX to be 2 hours late -- or canceled altogether. But that's what backup plans are for. :)

gallen5555 May 14, 2011 11:15 pm

time needed to clear lax immigration?

Hi, landing at LAX in the future on a M/R at 3:30pm, trying to catch a flite same day on turkish air at 5:55pm to IST. both in same terminal. any thoughts if this transfer should work? I booked on turkish air, so if I misconnect,doe to airline delay, would they get me on other star alliance flite same day?

hoops7k May 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Wrong place to ask and cross posted in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...mium-econ.html There has been a couple answers to your question

gallen5555 May 15, 2011 2:19 am

Originally Posted by hoops7k (Post 16387801)
Wrong place to ask and cross posted in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...mium-econ.html There has been a couple answers to your question

Tell me what forum this should be posted in since I will be on a m/r? I am grateful for any response, but unless I missed it, none of the replies gave any comment that they had direct experience in doing this.