Advice re Tranportation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
None taken!

Yet again, many many thanks for making the planning easier for me.
The link to the guide is greatly appreciated as well! Does this particular one have only street guides of particular cities or the road atlas as well (e.g. will we be able to plan our Beverly Hills to Disneyland trip)?
The Thomas Guide is a thick book that has a general map of Los Angeles and Orange Counties that's gridded and refers to a specific page number which will have street-level detail. It really is great, and I believe it also comes with a CD-ROM that will install the map program onto a laptop, if you have it.

I also love Google Maps.

And, to get from the Hilton to Disneyland:
-Go left (West) on Wilshire.
-Bear right onto I-405 South.
-Take I-10 East.
-Take I-5 South.
-Drive for about 35 minutes, then follow the signs to Disneyland.
Here's a Google map of those directions.

And one last tip... www.sigalert.com for traffic conditions

PS - If your bf can drive DC, he can drive LA.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:32 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
And one last tip... www.sigalert.com for traffic conditions
And always have your car radio preset with the two "all news" (well most of the time it's news, talk shows and Dodger games abuse their scheduling) AM radio stations. Listening to traffic reports is a staple of living in El Lay.

KFWB 980 - Traffic six times an hour on the 1's

KNX 1070 - Traffic six times an hour on the 5's
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Many thanks to all.^
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Craig6z
And always have your car radio preset with the two "all news" (well most of the time it's news, talk shows and Dodger games abuse their scheduling) AM radio stations. Listening to traffic reports is a staple of living in El Lay.

KFWB 980 - Traffic six times an hour on the 1's

KNX 1070 - Traffic six times an hour on the 5's
It might not be easy for tourists to immediately understand the language and terminology (given also the speed of speech) used in L.A.'s traffic reports. Watching traffic reports on TV morning news might help accomplish fluency in this special language.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
It might not be easy for tourists to immediately understand the language and terminology (given also the speed of speech) used in L.A.'s traffic reports. Watching traffic reports on TV morning news might help accomplish fluency in this special language.
You mean, "A sig alert now...a big rig, dead in the water in the #4 lane on the northbound Santa Ana Freeway just before the Crush is jamming things up all the way to the El Toro Y" isn't self explanatory?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
You mean, "A sig alert now...a big rig, dead in the water in the #4 lane on the northbound Santa Ana Freeway just before the Crush is jamming things up all the way to the El Toro Y" isn't self explanatory?
About as much as "Things are jammed from the four level to the 134 split."

Forms of the word "jam" are common though and should be self explanatory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.