Search

Advice re Tranportation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2007, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Question Advice re Tranportation

Hello everyone!

The two of us will be coming to LA soon; we'll be staying at Beverly Hilton. Since we've never been we are wondering what is public transportation is like in LA? Is it easy to move around places?
Is it absolutely necessary to rent a car or can one just do with taking cabs?
We are thinking about getting cabs to get to theme parks, but if we rent a car that obviously won't be required...

Any advice?

Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:35 am

spend some time reading the old threads in this forum. there's a solid consensus that it's too expensive to get around the LA area by cab. using public transportation can work, but it typically requires a lot of planning, particularly if you want to go to disneyland. if you have lots of diverse destinations in mind, especially the beach, renting a car may be the best way to go.

you can check out public transporation options, including a trip planner, at metro.net.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rent a car. LA's public transportation is horrible. To which amusement parks will you be going?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UNITED959
To which amusement parks will you be going?
Universal Studio and Disneyland. We were thinking about driver service for those. But now I am wondering how to move around LA just to see places in LA itself when we're not going anywhere far. It will be my first trip to the U.S. and I am all confused...
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:21 am
In memoriam

While, IMHO, L.A. public transit is not "horrible" per a poster above, it is not a reasonable way to get around for a tourist.

It is very difficult for Europeans to believe this and I have spoken with many who did not rent a car because they were not able to accept the idea until confronted with the unfortunate reality. It is very sad to run into folks who spent a lot of money to come to California and are not able to see what they want because they don't have a car.

Don't make the same mistake. You need a car in Southern California.

The upside is that, if you reserve in advance, car rental is quite cheap here. Try priceline.com. Don't buy any of the add on junk the rental companies try to sell you at the counter like collision damage waiver, etc.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Don't make the same mistake. You need a car in Southern California.
Thanks for the advice.
We do not own a car here in Ukraine (although my b/f does have a license and we rent cars for specific trips). We come to London often and we never had to rent a car, neither did we ever have to in other European cities where we've been. I am just so used to taking cabs and not wrorring about parking/not drinking...It seems easier that way.
From the majority of threads that I've read it seems like we'll need to rent a car.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If it's the amusement parks that are a priority, and if you really, really don't want to rent a car (and I agree with others -- cab fare from where you're planning to stay to the Orange County attractions would be extraordinarily expensive), then you might consider switching your destination to Orange County and staying at the Hilton or something similar there.

Cab fare would then be much more reasonable.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:33 pm

Also, keep in mind that, while Beverly Hills is a nice place to be, and geographically smack in the middle of Los Angeles, there are very limited public transportation options from Beverly Hills.

I am one of the majority here who say to rent a car unless you are staying in very specific places that are reachable via train or subway. If you want to see L.A. and visit Disneyland, definitely rent a car.

Just for comparison's sake, I will tell you that I never rent a car in London or Paris or any other large European city. I don't rent a car in New York or Chicago, either. I would always rent a car in L.A. if I didn't live here.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
(and I agree with others -- cab fare from where you're planning to stay to the Orange County attractions would be extraordinarily expensive)
The quote that we got from Avis together with Hilton's parking charges + fuel almost match or even exceed the quote that we got from drivers services for airport/amusement parks transportation.

Anyway, we decied to rent a car as we need to move around L.A. as well.
Thank you so much everbody for great input!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
The quote that we got from Avis together with Hilton's parking charges + fuel almost match or even exceed the quote that we got from drivers services for airport/amusement parks transportation.

Anyway, we decied to rent a car as we need to move around L.A. as well.
Thank you so much everbody for great input!
Did you shop around for the price? Avis tends to be pretty pricey for weekday rentals. I would also check out Priceline.

If you want to minimize parking fees, just rent on the days you'll need a car. BH isn't that badly connected.... the Hilton is on Santa Monica Blvd, which is heavily served by buses (and a short hop to Wilshire will get you on the express bus). Points west (like the beach) and Universal Studios can be reach via public transportation.

But for visiting the rest of the LA area, you'll definitely need the car.

Just my .02
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:13 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Let me be the devil's advocate here for a minute...

While a car may be a good idea for some of their time in Los Angeles (and Southern California), for other reasons it might be a very bad idea as well.

Andriyko does not own a car....and only rents for specific trips. I doubt they are really prepared for either L.A. traffic at it's worst or L.A.'s freeways without some introduction. Dumping someone in the midst of jetlag into LAX and Interstate 405 traffic who is more used to the more sedate pace of EU driving (I assume A & her boy are not major Autobahn fans) could be described as cruel and unusual punishment.

Rather than staying in Beverly Hills, I might decide to make my first hotel stay in Universal City (Hilton, Sheraton, etc.) ...and get a car service or shared van service to take you there from the airport, rather than getting straight into the LA traffic hassle. There are plenty of car rental places in the Universal City area that will be happy to pick you up to rent you a car at about what you'd pay at the airport...with free or inexpensive airport dropoff, AFTER the jetlag wears off! And that will let you get acustomed to LA traffic and freeway driving at your own pace, rather than.... "I have to get to the hotel an check in with my luggage."

Incidentaly Universal city is also on LA's "Red Line" subway, one stop away from Hollywood Blvd, and about 20 minutes from downtown... So there is easy access to the best of LA's public transit if there are things along the routes that interest you.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlshanks
(I assume A & her boy are not major Autobahn fans)
Just to clarify - I am a he!

Thank you for your very valuable advice! My bf is from Washington, D.C., and I was thinking that same thought that LA driving is rather hard and it will get a lot of getting used to.
However, having looked at the map re where we have/plan to be, it does look like having a car is a good idea. But, since the driving we do is so limited and since neither of use is familiar with the area/roads system, I am not sure we can handle it. I printed out maps and we'll buy the street guide - do you think that'll help a lot?

Switching hotels is not an option as the Beverly Hilton is where we want to stay.

To IceTrojan: I am fine with what Avis offers (priceline returned pretty much same prices but with Avis we get BA miles as well).

Thanks again to everyone. This forum is such a great place to get tips that no guide book will provide (even though mine does not recommend exploring LA without a car)!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Just to clarify - I am a he!
Whoops! My bad! No insult or judgement meant or implied...

I'm a little relieved by the "my bf is from Washington, D.C."... At least he'll understand some of the issues crowded American highways.

(Quick joke: What's the difference between the Santa Monica Freeway and Washington Beltway? The first is a parking lot that runs from Hell to the Beach while the other is a parking lot that slowly circles purgatory. )

Yes, LA driving will take *some* getting used to... But most can get into the flow. I actually think in the long run it's easier than places like NYC or SFO largely because you don't have the impossible chokepoints of bridges and tunnels or quite the number of silly oneway streets. LA is (for the most part) laid out on a simple rectangular grid and lacks the sort of ugly maze of streets that one finds in London or even San Diego.

However, having looked at the map re where we have/plan to be, it does look like having a car is a good idea. But, since the driving we do is so limited and since neither of use is familiar with the area/roads system, I am not sure we can handle it. I printed out maps and we'll buy the street guide - do you think that'll help a lot?
Yes... Good maps and streetguides should help a lot.

The local standard for professional drivers is The Thomas Bros. Guide, although a good set of AAA (American Automobile Association) maps of the LA area is nearly its equal.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlshanks
Whoops! My bad! No insult or judgement meant or implied...
None taken!

Yet again, many many thanks for making the planning easier for me.
The link to the guide is greatly appreciated as well! Does this particular one have only street guides of particular cities or the road atlas as well (e.g. will we be able to plan our Beverly Hills to Disneyland trip)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.