Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread

The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread

Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
I too stayed at the Furama on a PL bid one night last December. The room was fine for the price, and its proximity to a grocery store (Ralph's?) was nice.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I read in the Argonaut (local Westchester, PDR, MDR, Venice, SM paper) that the whole parcel is going to be redeveloped into multi-use: condos, hotel and ground floor commercial.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:01 pm

They seem to be building a lot of those high-rise buildings where it's commercial on the first few floors and condos above it. It's the big thing now for developing commercial centers.

Isn't there an earthquake fault in Marina Del Rey? Every time there's an earthquake in the Westside, they always report it to center in MDR. Don't get me wrong, I like that area. I just don't know if I would spend their asking price.

I look forward to what happens to Lincoln. I hope it doesn't cause traffic for the many commuters of the Westside who travel to LAX.

Originally Posted by paullevi
I read in the Argonaut (local Westchester, PDR, MDR, Venice, SM paper) that the whole parcel is going to be redeveloped into multi-use: condos, hotel and ground floor commercial.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Originally Posted by BellaG
They seem to be building a lot of those high-rise buildings where it's commercial on the first few floors and condos above it. It's the big thing now for developing commercial centers.

Isn't there an earthquake fault in Marina Del Rey? Every time there's an earthquake in the Westside, they always report it to center in MDR. Don't get me wrong, I like that area. I just don't know if I would spend their asking price.

I look forward to what happens to Lincoln. I hope it doesn't cause traffic for the many commuters of the Westside who travel to LAX.
There is a "theoretical" Lincoln Blvd. fault. That played into some of the debate over the Playa Vista development. But the two most recent quakes were actually centered closer to the Santa Monica Airport than MDR itself.

I missed the Argonaut article on the hotel...my fault. Usually I grab one every week for the coupons
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
BellaG, I've lived here for 13 years & must have missed the "Marina Del Rey Fault". I'm assuming you were kidding? I've never heard of the MdelR fault until this thread!

Since no one can guarantee any hotel in California being 'quake-free', I wouldn't make my decision on wondering if it 'might' happen; otherwise you wouldn't come to California at all.

PSS - Lincoln traffic already sucks so who knows what the new development will do, but hope springs eternal...

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Nov 14, 2005 at 1:09 pm
Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:25 pm

There is indeed a fault in MdR. I've heard that because some of the homes in the Silver Strand there are built on fill and very susceptible to liquifaction, there is some difficulty getting HO and EQ insurance.

My house is in MdR, so obviously I'm stupid.

Furama is way up on the hill, I dont think it's too close to the MdR fault area. I wouldnt want to live in one of those PdR homes right on the edge of the bluffs (or the new ones they are developing off Lincoln) however. Seems like a landslide waiting to happen.

Last edited by KosherKimchee; Nov 14, 2005 at 4:27 pm
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:12 pm

It's my "fault" if I may have insinuated that there is definitely an earthquake fault in MDR. I was actually asking because I heard it over the local news a few weeks ago. I live by the beach and felt a few strong earthquakes that were not really intense in number. But when I turned to the news and the earthquake website, it said that they were centered in MDR. (One, I remember, came from SM.)

I've lived through the 2 major earthquakes (Bay Area in '89 and Northridge in the 90's). Earthquakes don't scare me. But being in debt for millions of dollars (price of the homes in my area and MDR) for a less than a 30-second quake to throw it all away freaks me out.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:11 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
So which LAX hotel should get bulldozed next? The Hilton? The Holiday Inn?
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by mbstone
So which LAX hotel should get bulldozed next? The Hilton? The Holiday Inn?
The HoJos on the corner of Manchester and Airport.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 9:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by paullevi
There is indeed a fault in MdR. I've heard that because some of the homes in the Silver Strand there are built on fill and very susceptible to liquifaction, there is some difficulty getting HO and EQ insurance.

My house is in MdR, so obviously I'm stupid.

Furama is way up on the hill, I dont think it's too close to the MdR fault area. I wouldnt want to live in one of those PdR homes right on the edge of the bluffs (or the new ones they are developing off Lincoln) however. Seems like a landslide waiting to happen.
I would not want to live in MDR or Playa del Rey. The land under both is subject to liquifaction in an earthquake as they are from reclaimed swamp land. The same as the San Francisco Marina district that had all the damage in the '89 quake (and the quake's epicenter was near Watsonville about 80 miles southeast of San Francisco).

The methane gas problem under in Playa del Rey development that was shown on the Channel 4 News in Los Angeles over the last few months is another reason to stay clear of that development.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:48 am

The Consolidated "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" thread [merged threads]

During next summer I like to stay at one of the LAX airport hotels for one night. Which one can you recommend? I'm searching for middle class, maybe about 100-150 $. Would be nice, if it's in walking distance from the terminals, but doesn't have to be.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA MM
Any would be a long, painful walk. Most on Century Blvd. also have park/fly free shuttles to LAX.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
I would suggest you try Priceline. You can usually get a hotel for one night around LAX for $40-60 per night, and all of the 4-star hotels have free shuttle service to the airport. The walk down Century Blvd. is really not much fun, anyway! I have stayed at the LAX Hilton and the Hilton Garden Inn, and both are fine: the HGI is further away, but I prefer it. You might also take a look at www.tripadvisor.com for more reviews of LAX-area hotels.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by david7031
I would suggest you try Priceline. You can usually get a hotel for one night around LAX for $40-60 per night, and all of the 4-star hotels have free shuttle service to the airport. The walk down Century Blvd. is really not much fun, anyway! I have stayed at the LAX Hilton and the Hilton Garden Inn, and both are fine: the HGI is further away, but I prefer it. You might also take a look at www.tripadvisor.com for more reviews of LAX-area hotels.
4* hotels at LAX on Priceline are not that low anymore. Try BiddingForTravel.com for the latest results.

El Segundo/Manhattan Beach area hotels Summerfield Suites by Wyndham, Manhattan Beach Marriott and the new Ayres hotel are in an area with much more to walk to (shops, restaurants, movies) than the Century Blvd. airport hotels.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:24 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by CalItalian
4* hotels at LAX on Priceline are not that low anymore. Try spamisme.com for the latest results.

El Segundo/Manhattan Beach area hotels Summerfield Suites by Wyndham, Manhattan Beach Marriott and the new Ayres hotel are in an area with much more to walk to (shops, restaurants, movies) than the Century Blvd. airport hotels.
I would try 2.5*, after first trying the 4* level. 2.5* PL hotels at LAX are better overall and can have more free amenities -- such as free parking, breakfast and/or internet -- than do 4* PL hotels at LAX.

The worst that could happen is you could get "upgraded" to a 3* (or the 2.5 Holiday Inn or LAX Courtyard) and have to pay for parking.

Last edited by mbstone; Nov 22, 2005 at 7:28 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.