Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

First time in LA (Star Wars Convention) Tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Howdy.

My 10 y.o. son has persuaded me to take him to LA for "Celebration IV," the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars, May 23-27, to be held in the Convention Center. Also for a few days before that to Disneyland.

Flying to LAX. I assume we will have to rent a car.

We are active in Hilton, Starwood, and Choice Privileges and not averse to cashing in points if a decent deal presents. I just don't know which place to pick. If paying cash, looking to stay for $125 or less a night, if such exists.

I have a backup cancellable reservation at the cheapo Quality Inn Mid-Wilshire Plaza 3 miles from the Convention Center ($74 a night).

I know virtually nothing about LA and would appreciate any pointers.

Should we try to get a place within walking distance? Priceline? Hotwire?

May the Force be with you. Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:20 am
In memoriam

If the sole focus of your trip is the Star Wars convention (and, if so, you have my sympathy ), then you might be happy staying somewhere downtown (Bonaventure often have very good rates for the weekend, check Priceline). But, downtown is not right at the convention center. The Bonaventure is a long walk away.

The convention center area is not especially nice or especailly safe--not real bad, just kinda blah in a big, rundown industrial area way.

IMHO, I would certainly rent a car, and would stay in West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Westwood or Santa Monica. With a kid, probably Santa Monica is best choice. The entire area around downtown L.A. is no prize.

By the way, there is subway service to the convention center, depending on where you stay. And, you can take a Flyaway Bus from LAX to Union Station downtown for around $3 a person. But, Union Station is a couple of miles at least from the Convention Center and, again, not in the finest area. Not dangerous, just not very nice.

Last edited by biggestbopper; Apr 30, 2007 at 2:01 am
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Re: Disneyland, you'll definitely want to stay down here, as Anaheim is about 30-45 minutes away from both LAX and Downtown LA, and that's without traffic.

Have you bought your plane tix yet? If not, consider doing an open jaw, flying into SNA and out of LAX. Disneyland is about 10-15 from SNA, and the Convention Center is about 15-20 minutes from LAX. Most of the rental biggies also will not charge you a one-way fee, as both airports use the same fleet of cars.

I don't know what your kid is into, but nearby the convention center:
--California Science Museum
--Natural History Museum
--USC Baseball (at home vs. Stanford)
--Dodgers (at home vs. the Brewers then the Cubs that week)
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:44 am

Programs: nada these days
Hi! I'm in the same boat, though I'll be volunteering at the convention (don't ask) and don't expect to have much time to spare. I'll be at the Bonaventure, which I think is an official convention hotel, meaning space might be tight. Book accordingly. The official site says there will be complimentary shuttle service between official hotels and the convention center; you may want to take that into account.

I am a huge geek and have been to all three previous Celebrations; the last two were in Indianapolis, whose convention center is within walking distance of quite a few hotels, so this will be a very different experience.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions. I am the queen of the geeks!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:55 am

Downtown LA? Never... there's nothing there.
Better stay in Santa Monica and commute to Convention Center.
For Disneyland, stay in Anaheim. There's plethora of properties to chose from and big chains are well represented.
And as far as car goes... it's a must. Without it, life in LA and area is simply unbearable.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DogHead
And as far as car goes... it's a must. Without it, life in LA and area is simply unbearable.
I would make the suggestion that if OP is staying in DTLA, then they only get the car once they are going to drive away, as parking can get expensive.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:04 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I have a backup cancellable reservation at the cheapo Quality Inn Mid-Wilshire Plaza 3 miles from the Convention Center ($74 a night).
This should not even be considered with a ten year old. The neighborhood is marginal.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I would book a cancelable(non-priceline)room at the sheraton downtown LA/you do not need a car-the subway stop is right across the street And this property is close to the CC or a cheap cab rideThis will save you $25 a day in parking..Take the flyaway from LAX.
The day you decide to go to Disneyland you could rent a car.There also is a Disneyland express bus from LAX.

Since you plan to go to disney before hand You might want to consider the following/Arrive LAX rent a car at the airport location if your agreement will let you return the car at a downtown LA location-fantastic!If not,on your way back from OC take the 405 instead of the 5 freeway(this is a 20 minute detour)since there are two of you you will be able to use the diamond lane(part of the way at least)and drop the car back to the LAX rental location.Take the flyaway from LAX to the downtown sheraton-which is offering triple points right now BTW.No need for a car to attend the convention-just a hassle as you would have to pay for parking at the hotel and again at the CC.BTW there is a subway stop a block from the CC-have used it many times.

A 10 year old might just love downtown LA,the architecture is very good and it would be a great experience for a kid to see what city life is like.
Old May 2, 2007, 5:59 am

parking near the convention center during popular conventions can be outrageous, and can range from $20-50 per day. the metro blue line (light rail) has a stop at the center; it's $1.25 per person, one way. LA dash (a downtown-only bus service) also stops there, for $0.25 per person.

unlike chicago, public transit options in LA are limited unless you are willing to invest the time both in learning the bus routes and in making multiple transfers. there is nothing for kids to do downtown, particularly in the evening. but if you're staying downtown, the red line (subway) can take you directly to hollywood and universal studios/citywalk.

if you want to visit the beach, you will either need a car or stay close by. one option to consider is santa monica, which has both a beach and the third street promenade. santa monica also has a "big blue bus" which has express service to downtown LA.
Old May 2, 2007, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Thank you to all for these useful comments.

Keep them coming!
Old May 2, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: SQ *gold / Starwood
I agree with the previous post that a 10-year old (and even his parent) might really enjoy downtown L.A. Everytime someone writes, "there's nothing in downtown L.A. to do," I wonder how much time they've spent there?

Yes the architecture is really interesting and varied, from early 20th century to very contemporary. A short walk from the Bradbury building on Broadway through Grand Central Market and up to California Plaza will take in quite a lot of it.

There is a small but very vibrant Chinatown. Also Little Tokyo. Olvera Street, where the city began and now an "Old Mexico" shopping area, is very touristy, but for a reason. All of these places are safe to explore on foot.

There's also the Central Library, the giant wholesale flower market, the Museum of Neon Art (very cool!)... well, how much time do you have??

(and just to clarify, I'm not saying don't see anything outside of downtown, only that there is much to see and do there).
Old May 2, 2007, 2:31 pm

Programs: America Worst
Dont do it. You have kids with you.

I like the comment:

I agree with the previous post that a 10-year old (and even his parent) might really enjoy downtown L.A. Everytime someone writes, "there's nothing in downtown L.A. to do," I wonder how much time they've spent there?

FYI
"I spent 30 years before I moved to Orange county".
Look at todays paper. "Nice small riot yesterday in the park".
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

You want to have a good time. Fly into SNA. LAX is mess. Avoid !!!
Stay in Anaheim or Costa Mesa and do Disneyland. Rent a car and drive to your LA convention. Go to Newport and Laguna Beach.

But for gods sakes. AVOID DOWNTOWN LA with a 10 year old.

Other LA Downtown sights to enjoy.
Beside Chinatown you can show him how the LAPD has cleaned up
Skid Row. And then go look at the new jail over by the old train station.

Last edited by bltserv; May 2, 2007 at 2:46 pm
Old May 2, 2007, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bltserv
"I spent 30 years before I moved to Orange county".

And when was the last time you spent a significant amount of time in DTLA? And do you like OC?

Unscientific survey: People who like OC tend to not like LA.
Old May 2, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: America Worst
LA vs OC

Hi Ice Trojan

Your right.
I like not living in a crime infested homeless zone.

When was the last time you did a trip advisor on your booked
hotel room to see. "Gunshots outside the window" ??????
Good Job Craig6z for the link.

1. Mom still lives in Culver City. So I go about once a month.
Its great to see my old neighborhood getting very violent and dangerous.
Moms been mugged 3 times in last couple years.

2. Just did "Wicked" and enjoyed all the pan handlers on Hollywood Blvd.
I enjoyed the security guards keeping the homeless off the Kodak
Center grounds. Its like Iraq. The Green Zone.

3. Went to Staples for Barbera Streisand. Almost got Carjacked.

To the OP. DTLA has its beauty. But dont bring a 10 year old from the midwest for an overnight stay.

Last edited by bltserv; May 2, 2007 at 4:48 pm
Old May 2, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Dearest Bltserve,Downtown LA is not for everybody.just as Orange County is not for everybody(put me in that camp)but I have spent a lot of time in downtown LA-includung a lot of weekend nights walking around various hotels.I have never been mugged(ps-just FYI culver city-downtown LA-two different places)carjacked,heard gunshots,nor been bored.

There are homeless folks in OC also btw.They just keep out of the way of the peroxide blonds in their Hummers(men or women take your choice)who have no respect for pedestrians-too busy on their cell phones.

If you do not like real cities-please stay away.Lots of folks just like you in OC.
PS-little known fact-Santa Ana,Fullerton,and north Anahiem are in OC also.But Maybe you do not spend too much time there either?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.