Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2014 - Date)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
This thread contains posts from 2014 to date. Older messages on this topic may still contain relevant information and have been moved to the archived thread:
The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2006 -2012) [Archived]
LAX FlyAway® buses provide scheduled ground transportation between LAX airport and the following locations:
  • Van Nuys (bus tracker) (bus runs 24/7, only 1 bus/hour in the wee hours)
  • Orange Line Express Bus Stop (on the south side of Victory Blvd., just east of Woodley Ave.) discontinued 1/31/19.
  • Union Station (Downtown Los Angeles) (bus tracker) (last bus leaves T1 at 1:10 am, next bus at 5:40 am)
  • Westwood at UCLA
  • Hollywood (northeast corner of Selma Ave. and Argyle Ave. - one block south of Hollywood Blvd.) (bus tracker) discontinued due to COVID/"labor shortage"
  • Long Beach (at Shelter A in the Long Beach Transit Gallery, on the northwest corner of 1st Street and Long Beach Blvd.) (bus tracker) discontinued due to COVID/"labor shortage"

See LAWA website for fare info and purchase tickets: FlyAway® Fares

A few important notes for visitors:

1. Unlike many similar services in other international airports, there are no FlyAway ticket vending machines or ticket counters at LAX. For Hollywood and Westwood, you can purchase tickets on the bus with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express credit or debit card. For Union Station and Van Nuys, purchase tickets at the kiosk located when the bus discharges you, also with a valid credit card (cash is not accepted). Union Station customers may additionally purchase FlyAway tickets via Metrolink ticket machines, which are located on the floor below the FlyAway stop. These ticket machines accept US currency (except pennies) in addition to credit and debit cards. Select a "LAX to LA Union Station" trip, and ask one of the attendants for help if you can't figure out the machine.

2. Tickets are good for 30 days so you can purchase them well in advance of your trip to and from LAX. The bus driver will scan your ticket or mobile device as you board.

3. If you have no ticket (and going to Union Station), the driver will tag your luggage to "hold". When you arrive at Union Station, you will be directed to purchase a ticket at the vending machine. Once you show the proof of fare, you will be allowed to claim your luggage. You can also buy a ticket online on your mobile device on the bus and have it ready on your device for the driver to scan when picking up your luggage.

4. Catch the bus at the Arrival Level (lower level) curb adjacent to the terminal. Look for GREEN sign that states FLYAWAY, BUSES, LONG DISTANCE VANS.

5. You can track locations of buses at this link. Van Nuys and Union Station routes share one tracker link. Hollywood and Long Beach share a different tracker link.

Some tips:

1. The FlyAway departure schedule from LAX is the times the buses are scheduled to leave Terminal 1 Arrival Level. It typically takes at least 30 minutes for the bus to complete the pickup from Terminal 1 all the way to Terminal 7. If you are at the north side terminals (T1, T2, T3) and just missed a FlyAway bus, you can beat it to the other side of the airport by walking across LAX using ground level crosswalk and sidewalk, and catching the same bus at the south side terminals (T4, T5, T6). Walk across the airport will take about 10~15 minutes depending on your exact locations.

2. If you are connecting to Amtrak, Metro, Metrolink, and Megabus services at Union Station - Consult this map for locations of various service: Union Station Map

And some useful info here: Union Station

3. Make sure you get on the right bus. The destination sign is displayed in front of the bus.

The Union Station and Van Nuys service utilize fullsize Van Hool buses. These buses are white with light blue FlyAway logo - see here

The Hollywood/Expo Line and Westwood service utilize midsize Ford cutaway buses. These buses are white with dark blue FlyAway logo - see here

Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2014 - Date)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
After having taken the Flyaway to Union Station recently, note that they funnel everyone to ONE machine and/or a booth so lines to get tickets are long. The line can be especially busy close to departure as arriving passengers and departing passengers are all buying tickets. For arriving customers, the bags are held with the driver until a fare receipt is shown. To get around this you can buy tickets online or use a Metrolink ticket machine downstairs (purchase a ticket from LA Union Station to LAX). The Metrolink ticket machines can be a bear to use, but even a 10 deep line can be faster than the infrequent travelers waiting for the Flyaway tickets at the booth.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The FlyAway Santa Monica bus pickup/drop off location has been moved closer to Downtown Santa Monica - now outside the Mcdonald's across the street from the Santa Monica Place Mall (also across the street from Wyndham Hotel).

http://www.lawa.org/flyaway/content.aspx?id=10451

Also added the Wiki so all the info is available at the top of the page.

This is what the current Union Station and Van Nuys FlyAway buses look like.

Vanhool Flyaway bus @ Los Angeles International Airport. by Mapag Biyahe, on Flickr

This is what the current Westwood, Hollywood/Expo Line, and Santa Monica FlyAway buses look like:

LAX Flyaway by So Cal Metro, on Flickr

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 2, 2015 at 10:09 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:52 pm

FlyAway adds new Long Beach service: http://www.lawa.aero/newsContent.aspx?ID=2072
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
Trying to time out a trip. Have a Monday 5:30 am flight departing LAX. United, so Terminal 7. Will need to pick up the FlyAway from Union Station, arriving via Amtrak at 2:20 am.
Questions..

1. Is Union Station safe that time of Night/morning?
2. With the later arrival, will the 2:20 am arrival and 3am Flyaway departure get me to LAX on time? Unfortunately I'll probably have to check a bag, so need to account for that on the LAX end.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by mezzowithcorigis
1. Is Union Station safe that time of Night/morning?
The LA Metro website says this:
"Union Station is open to the public daily 4am - 1am. Tenants and retail hours vary. Please contact each business directly for hours.

Between 1am and 4am, ticketed passengers and those persons with lawful transportation purposes will be directed to a designated seating/lounge area. Those persons without authorization or permission to remain in Union Station or on the facility property will be required to leave the premises. (LACMTA Code, Section 6-05-120 369i PC)"
Source: https://www.metro.net/about/union-station/

Based on that, I can't imagine there'd be any significant safety issues. Sounds like the only people in the building will be security and ticketed travelers.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
Originally Posted by writerguyfl

Based on that, I can't imagine there'd be any significant safety issues. Sounds like the only people in the building will be security and ticketed travelers.
Thanks. Now just to work out the timing!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mezzowithcorigis
Thanks. Now just to work out the timing!
Hopefully, someone with more recent experience might comment. But, I have taken the Union Station Flyaway twice later at night, for redeye flights leaving between midnight and 1am. It was just me and the bus driver both times. The website says it takes 35 minute. That sounds about right to me.

Since Terminal 7 is one of the last (or the last) stop at LAX, it might be quicker to get off the bus at Terminal 1 and cross through the parking ramps to get to Terminal 7. Although, at 3:30am, that might not be necessary. I'd ask the bus driver. Unless new to the job, she or he should be able to tell you which option is quickest.

If everything goes right, I think you'll make it. The big unknown would be the train. If you're even a little late, you'll be up a creek without a paddle.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:00 pm

Union station will be pretty deserted at 2AM but it should be safe.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Hopefully, someone with more recent experience might comment. But, I have taken the Union Station Flyaway twice later at night, for redeye flights leaving between midnight and 1am. It was just me and the bus driver both times. The website says it takes 35 minute. That sounds about right to me.

Since Terminal 7 is one of the last (or the last) stop at LAX, it might be quicker to get off the bus at Terminal 1 and cross through the parking ramps to get to Terminal 7. Although, at 3:30am, that might not be necessary. I'd ask the bus driver. Unless new to the job, she or he should be able to tell you which option is quickest.

If everything goes right, I think you'll make it. The big unknown would be the train. If you're even a little late, you'll be up a creek without a paddle.
The failsafe plan should be Uber or Lyft, which should cost around $15 that late at night.

T7 is definitely the last stop. I would ask the driver right before they depart how many terminals will be stopped at, and take that into consideration on whether to stay onboard or get off at T1 to walk through the parking garages to get to T7.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by bzcat
Union station will be pretty deserted at 2AM but it should be safe.
I've arrived on the Amtrak train from Maricopa, and it was later than 2am, but I will warn the person asking the question. It is basically a homeless shelter in the early morning hours. If they're open, be prepared for the bathrooms to be occupied by transients, showering in the sinks, shaving, dressing, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
T7 is definitely the last stop. I would ask the driver right before they depart how many terminals will be stopped at, and take that into consideration on whether to stay onboard or get off at T1 to walk through the parking garages to get to T7.
It's usually easy to tell without even having to ask, since the bus only does dropoffs and then goes around again for pickups. If the bus is full, it's going to stop at most terminals and it will take time to get all the luggage out from underneath at each one. If there are only a few people the driver will ask people which terminal and you'll know how many pretty quick. If you're in a big hurry, keep all your luggage with you in the bus so you don't have to wait to have it unloaded.

The walk across from 1 to 7 isn't bad, and I've done it at both ground level and over the garages. If you take the "elevated" route you don't have to wait for any traffic to clear, but do have to go up and down stairs or use elevators.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
I've arrived on the Amtrak train from Maricopa, and it was later than 2am, but I will warn the person asking the question. It is basically a homeless shelter in the early morning hours. If they're open, be prepared for the bathrooms to be occupied by transients, showering in the sinks, shaving, dressing, etc.
Security has been kicking homeless people out of the building unless the evening is unusually cold. Unfortunately, the Flyaway stop is outside in the bus plaza.

Also, as an update, parking at Union Station went up to $8 a day late last year. For times when I arrive at Union Station early in the morning or after 5 pm there is free, untimed parking alongside Piper Technical Center, east of the Denny's a block or two away from the east bus plaza. Piper Tech is basically the crime lab for the LAPD, so it's similar to parking next to a police station, but as always YMMV.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Seen on Facebook:

Sunday, June 30, FlyAway service between Westwood and LAX will end due to low ridership of just 3 people per trip. Its last route will be LAX->Westwood at 8 p.m. that day. For more information about the FlyAway service, visit www.lawa.org/FlyAway
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:13 pm

Question re. Flyaway Bus from LAX to Downtown Long Beach

I'm flying SFO to LAX on a Sunday afternoon 2:00 to 3:40 pm ticket.

I have a ticket for the Catalina Express departing from the Port of Long Beach at 5:45 pm and arriving in Avalon at roughly 6:45 pm the same day.

I understand the Flyaway between LAX and Long Beach is roughly one hour long, which cuts pretty close.

They also depart every hour with the earliest (for my schedule) being 4:30 pm from Terminal 1... not sure exactly what time it reaches Terminal 6 but I'd estimate about 4:45 pm, give or take a couple minutes. I recently watched some lady ranting on youtube about how the Flyaways arriving at Terminals 2-6 are always at maxed out capacity and people are often unable to board them, each time resulting in a full hours delay. She strongly advised catching the bus at T1. I'm arriving via Alaska at Terminal 6 and can't afford to miss the 4:30-4:45 bus to Long Beach.

Question No. 1:
Given my flight's scheduled arrival time of 3:40 pm does the Flyaway bus even make sense? I was trying to save money ($9 vs $35-45 Uber) but not at the expense of missing my ferry. The bus probably only saves about 15 minutes of driving time but if I can leave directly from T6 at 4pm-ish instead of trying to catch a later bus, I'm probably not going to miss my boat.

Question No. 2:
If I decide to take the Flyaway, what's the quickest way to get from T6 to T1 at LAX -- (run, shuttle, taxi, shortcuts??)
Does anyone have experience with the Long Beach Flyaway and is it necessary to catch at T1 or do you think it's safe to try boarding at T6?

As I type this all out I'm realizing that it's probably too tight a squeeze to try and catch the Flyaway to LB given my scheduled LAX arrival and boarding time for the ferry. I just hope that there's no delays on the runway and that I'm able to deplane and collect my bag within 25 minutes of landing. I also hope there's not too much traffic on the 405!

EDIT:
From Catalina Express Ticket Info -
"CHECK-IN at the ticket window at least one hour prior to departure. Passengers must be checked in, with tickets in hand, ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to departure. If you are not checked in 15 minutes prior to departure, your seats will be forfeited and your credit card will be charged for the full amount fare."

I think I better catch an Uber/Lyft!

Last edited by OliverB; Jul 24, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by OliverB
I'm flying SFO to LAX on a Sunday afternoon 2:00 to 3:40 pm ticket.

I have a ticket for the Catalina Express departing from the Port of Long Beach at 5:45 pm and arriving in Avalon at roughly 6:45 pm the same day.

I understand the Flyaway between LAX and Long Beach is roughly one hour long, which cuts pretty close.

They also depart every hour with the earliest (for my schedule) being 4:30 pm from Terminal 1... not sure exactly what time it reaches Terminal 6 but I'd estimate about 4:45 pm, give or take a couple minutes. I recently watched some lady ranting on youtube about how the Flyaways arriving at Terminals 2-6 are always at maxed out capacity and people are often unable to board them, each time resulting in a full hours delay. She strongly advised catching the bus at T1. I'm arriving via Alaska at Terminal 6 and can't afford to miss the 4:30-4:45 bus to Long Beach.

Question No. 1:
Given my flight's scheduled arrival time of 3:40 pm does the Flyaway bus even make sense? I was trying to save money ($9 vs $35-45 Uber) but not at the expense of missing my ferry. The bus probably only saves about 15 minutes of driving time but if I can leave directly from T6 at 4pm-ish instead of trying to catch a later bus, I'm probably not going to miss my boat.

Question No. 2:
If I decide to take the Flyaway, what's the quickest way to get from T6 to T1 at LAX -- (run, shuttle, taxi, shortcuts??)
Does anyone have experience with the Long Beach Flyaway and is it necessary to catch at T1 or do you think it's safe to try boarding at T6?

As I type this all out I'm realizing that it's probably too tight a squeeze to try and catch the Flyaway to LB given my scheduled LAX arrival and boarding time for the ferry. I just hope that there's no delays on the runway and that I'm able to deplane and collect my bag within 25 minutes of landing. I also hope there's not too much traffic on the 405!
Sunday afternoon SB on the 405 should be not terrible...unless there's an accident (or two or three). But it should certainly be better than trying this connection during a weekday afternoon.

Just have your favorite map/path planning app open and let it tell you whether there's any traffic issues between LAX and LB harbor.

Good luck!

David
OliverB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.