The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2006 -2012) [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Newer posts have been relocated to the current thread:
The information contained in this wiki post is accurate as of September 2, 2015.

See LAWA website for fare info and purchase tickets: http://www.lawa.org/flyaway/default.aspx#FFares

A few important notes for visitors:

1. Unlike many similar services in other international airports, there are no FlyAway ticket vending machines or ticket counters at LAX. For Hollywood, Santa Monica, and Westwood, you can purchase tickets on the bus with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express credit or debit card. For Union Station and Van Nuys, purchase tickets at the kiosk located when the bus discharges you, also with a valid credit card. Union Station customers may additionally purchase FlyAway tickets via Metrolink ticket machines, which are located on the floor below the FlyAway stop. These ticket machines accept US currency (except pennies) in addition to credit and debit cards. Select a "LAX to LA Union Station" trip, and ask one of the attendants for help if you can't figure out the machine.

2. Tickets are good for 30 days so you can purchase them well in advance of your trip to and from LAX. The bus driver will scan your ticket or mobile device as you board.

3. If you have no ticket (and going to Union Station), the driver will tag your luggage to "hold". When you arrive at Union Station, you will be directed to purchase a ticket at the vending machine. Once you show the proof of fare, you will be allowed to claim your luggage.

4. Catch the bus at the Arrival Level (lower level) roadway center island. Look for GREEN sign that states FLYAWAY, BUSES, LONG DISTANCE VANS.

Some tips:

1. The FlyAway departure schedule from LAX is the times the buses are scheduled to leave Terminal 1 Arrival Level. It typically takes at least 30 minutes for the bus to complete the pickup from Terminal 1 all the way to Terminal 7. If you are at the north side terminals (T1, T2, T3) and just missed a FlyAway bus, you can beat it to the other side of the airport by walking across LAX using ground level crosswalk and sidewalk, and catching the same bus at the south side terminals (T4, T5, T6). Walk across the airport will take about 10~15 minutes depending on your exact locations.

2. If you are connecting to Amtrak, Metro, Metrolink, and Megabus services at Union Station - Consult this map for locations of various service: http://media.metro.net/projects_stud...hure_v7_rb.pdf

And some useful info here: http://www.metro.net/about/union-station/

3. Make sure you get on the right bus. The destination sign is displayed in front of the bus.

The Union Station and Van Nuys service utilize fullsize Van Hool buses. These buses are white with light blue FlyAway logo - see here

The Hollywood/Expo Line, Westwood, and Santa Monica service utilize midsize Ford cutaway buses. These buses are white with dark blue FlyAway logo - see here
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2006 -2012) [Archived]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2007, 12:47 am

Safety is pretty good. I would not worry about that unless you are schlepping 100k worth of diamonds or something. Normal precautions are advisable but you should not be overly concerned.

Definitely take the flyaway to Union station and the Red Line to Universal. The Red Line station is at the bottom of the hill that the hotel is on. Either take the shuttle or walk up. Either way will have you there in just a few minutes after exiting the station.
Old May 28, 2007, 1:14 am

Programs: TK, SQ, TG, NW, PCR, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by kef0913
Safety is pretty good. I would not worry about that unless you are schlepping 100k worth of diamonds or something. Normal precautions are advisable but you should not be overly concerned.

Definitely take the flyaway to Union station and the Red Line to Universal. The Red Line station is at the bottom of the hill that the hotel is on. Either take the shuttle or walk up. Either way will have you there in just a few minutes after exiting the station.
Thanks for your assurance. BTW, is the walk up on stairs or on a slope? I will be having a roller trolley and I hope I don't have to hand-lift it up a hill for 5 mins.

Thanks.

Last edited by aerosmith; May 28, 2007 at 2:48 am
Old May 28, 2007, 12:04 pm

It is an incline that is fairly steep. I don't know that the tram would accommodate your bringing any equipment. Baggage would be tight enough. You may have to hoof it. As long as you don't have any physical issues you should be fine, though you will get your workout if you are pushing something heavy.

P.S. - I should have been clear in the previous post, the tram that runs up the hill is an open air affair designed to get visitors to Universal Studios up to the top of the hill so they can visit the theme park. It is not a shuttle bus like you would expect at an airport to take you to your car.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
So, who will be the first FTer to take this service? (Today is Day 2)
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
So, who will be the first FTer to take this service? (Today is Day 2)
It won't be you, IceTrojan? Could the Trojan in you bear the indignity?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by iapetus
It won't be you, IceTrojan? Could the Trojan in you bear the indignity?
*sniff* But of course not! I thought it was obvious why LAWA chose Westwood for this new service and not USC
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
*sniff* But of course not! I thought it was obvious why LAWA chose Westwood for this new service and not USC
Ah, point well taken. It's the same reason (as I understand it) why so many of y'all just shoot up Highway 110 into Pasadena, California, to party.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:02 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by aerosmith
That was my initial plan. According to the hotel, it's a 5 mins walk from the metro station to the hotel.

And now a question which I hope will not get too much flames, is the Metro Red Line and its surroundings safe for an independent single traveller before midnight? Thanks.
The shuttle from ACROSS THE STREET (a 5 minute walk from the train) from the Red Line station to Universal Studios/Universal City Walk only runs during Universal Studios operating hours. You mention before Midnight. It better be WAY before that time if you plan on using the shuttle which will not take you to the Sheraton Universal. They only go back and forth from the bottom of the hill next to the NBC Universal office tower to Universal City Walk.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Parking during the limited hours that it is available (Friday at 3 PM to Monday at 7 AM) is $6 per day.

I live only a mile from this location and dropped by yesterday. The bus that I saw only had a few passengers on it.

Once the carpool lane extention is completed (more than a year away) from Wilshire Blvd. (southbound) to the 90 Freeway this is going to wizz you to LAX.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:27 pm

Van Nuys FlyAway Bus to LAX

Anyone uses it regularly? What are the travel times? I understand it depends on traffic conditions but what is the average at lets say 8 - 10 AM, mid-day, and after 3 PM? How far is the parking from the bus stop walking?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by trupper999
Anyone uses it regularly? What are the travel times? I understand it depends on traffic conditions but what is the average at lets say 8 - 10 AM, mid-day, and after 3 PM? How far is the parking from the bus stop walking?

I've used it dozens of times. Assuming you are talking about weekdays, drive time can range from 30 to 90 minutes. While YMMV, here would be my estimates:

8am - 75 to 90 minutes
9am - 60 to 75 minutes
10am - 35 to 55 minutes
Noon - 30 to 45 minutes
3:30pm - 50 to 70 minutes
5pm - 60-80 minutes
6:30pm - 50 to 70 minutes

Assuming its not a holiday period, parking to the bus gate is a five minute walk. If the garage is very full, add five minutes for the surface lot.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:02 pm

Thanks! That was helpful. What about departures? Is it exactly every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour or few minutes before and after?

Was there ever a time when the bus is full and you had to wait for the next bus?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by trupper999
Thanks! That was helpful. What about departures? Is it exactly every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour or few minutes before and after?

Was there ever a time when the bus is full and you had to wait for the next bus?
They tend to have a very precise schedule at VNY. If the bus is a 3:00pm, it is going to be pretty close to what is published. If I recall correctly, they cut off sales about five minutes before the scheduled time.

I've never seen a full bus originating at VNY. But from LAX back, its not unknown to have a full load by the time they hit terminal 6.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
I've used the Flyaway from downtown's Union Station, and it was super! No muss, no fuss! On return I walked 2 blocks to Phillippe's for a French Dipped sandwich, where my ride picked me up! http://www.philippes.com/

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:58 am

Here is an update if anyone is interested:
I have been using the service and it is very convenient getting to LAX from Van Nuys. Craig6z estimated times are accurate and the parking is very close to the bus stop. Most of the time I would get to the parking lot 5-7 minutes before scheduled departure (which was always on time) and had enough time to walk (not run) and make the bus.
Getting back from LAX however is a little off since there is set departure time and you have to wait on the stop until your bus arrives (make sure you get on the right bus too, there are also FlyAway buses stop there for Union Station). And here is a trick that worked for me when I just missed a bus at T4 run to the next terminal and chances are you will make it since the driver is out and loading the luggage, so you will have a few minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.