The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2006 -2012) [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Newer posts have been relocated to the current thread:
The information contained in this wiki post is accurate as of September 2, 2015.

See LAWA website for fare info and purchase tickets: http://www.lawa.org/flyaway/default.aspx#FFares

A few important notes for visitors:

1. Unlike many similar services in other international airports, there are no FlyAway ticket vending machines or ticket counters at LAX. For Hollywood, Santa Monica, and Westwood, you can purchase tickets on the bus with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express credit or debit card. For Union Station and Van Nuys, purchase tickets at the kiosk located when the bus discharges you, also with a valid credit card. Union Station customers may additionally purchase FlyAway tickets via Metrolink ticket machines, which are located on the floor below the FlyAway stop. These ticket machines accept US currency (except pennies) in addition to credit and debit cards. Select a "LAX to LA Union Station" trip, and ask one of the attendants for help if you can't figure out the machine.

2. Tickets are good for 30 days so you can purchase them well in advance of your trip to and from LAX. The bus driver will scan your ticket or mobile device as you board.

3. If you have no ticket (and going to Union Station), the driver will tag your luggage to "hold". When you arrive at Union Station, you will be directed to purchase a ticket at the vending machine. Once you show the proof of fare, you will be allowed to claim your luggage.

4. Catch the bus at the Arrival Level (lower level) roadway center island. Look for GREEN sign that states FLYAWAY, BUSES, LONG DISTANCE VANS.

Some tips:

1. The FlyAway departure schedule from LAX is the times the buses are scheduled to leave Terminal 1 Arrival Level. It typically takes at least 30 minutes for the bus to complete the pickup from Terminal 1 all the way to Terminal 7. If you are at the north side terminals (T1, T2, T3) and just missed a FlyAway bus, you can beat it to the other side of the airport by walking across LAX using ground level crosswalk and sidewalk, and catching the same bus at the south side terminals (T4, T5, T6). Walk across the airport will take about 10~15 minutes depending on your exact locations.

2. If you are connecting to Amtrak, Metro, Metrolink, and Megabus services at Union Station - Consult this map for locations of various service: http://media.metro.net/projects_stud...hure_v7_rb.pdf

And some useful info here: http://www.metro.net/about/union-station/

3. Make sure you get on the right bus. The destination sign is displayed in front of the bus.

The Union Station and Van Nuys service utilize fullsize Van Hool buses. These buses are white with light blue FlyAway logo - see here

The Hollywood/Expo Line, Westwood, and Santa Monica service utilize midsize Ford cutaway buses. These buses are white with dark blue FlyAway logo - see here
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard

Starting March 15 there will be a "FlyAway" express bus running every half-hour 5A-1A (and hourly 1A-5A) between Union (Amtrak) Station in Downtown LA and LAX Airport. The fare is $3 for adults, and for the first two weeks it's free if you connect using public transportation (e.g. Metro Rail terminating at Union Station). See the announcement. The bus is said to use express lanes and is said to take 45 minutes.

Remember dude, you need a car in L.A. The only people to whom I would recommend this service are 1) people who happen to live near a Red Line Metro station, or near Union Station (like if you just got out of the L.A. county jail and you need to catch a plane); and 2) travelers who would connect from LAX to/from Amtrak (a great way to get to/from San Diego). I grudgingly admit that this route might also be a possibility for 3) business travelers who need to visit a hotel, courthouse, or other downtown L.A. location.

For you LAX layoverers, Union Station is near Olvera Street, the faux-Mexican tourist attraction, and also Chinatown.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA
Wow, that sounds pretty cool. I was just booking a flight out of LAX today and wondering how I might coerce my son into driving me there from SAN If this seems to work well, I could just get on the train instead.

If anyone uses this, please stop back here to say how it went!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well for those who take SuperShuttle to downtown hotels this would be a good addition to their options. And a few times I've thought of taking Amtrak, but the hassle of getting from the LAX area to Union Station always put me off it.

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Nice!

Thanks for the post, OP! ^

I've always been trying to get around without the car, via Blue/Green Line, Route 483 Commuter Express, Super Shuttles, cabs, etc.

This sounds like the ride I'm looking for!
Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
ACES! I am flying into LAX April 28th and heading to Palm Springs from there via train. If someone doesn't report how the service is I'll be sure to throw my half cents worth. ^
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:38 pm

Received this in an email today...might have been in the link above, but saves a step.

Board your next flight at Union Station
• Travel time: 45 minutes or less
• Non-stop service utilizing carpool lanes
• Service to each airline terminal
• Cushioned seats
• Luggage loaded and unloaded by a baggage handler
• Park at Patsaouras/Gateway Plaza at Union Station for $6 a day (entrance on Vignes St.)

Departure locations and times:

Departs Union Station at Patsaouras/Gateway Bus Plaza,East side, Berth 9.
5am-1am, every half hour (5am, 5:30am, etc.)
1am-5am, every hour on the hour

Departs LAX and picks up at every terminal under green “FlyAway, Buses and Long Distance Vans” signs.
5am-1am, every half hour (5am, 5:30am, etc.)
1am-5am, every hour on the hour

The Union Station FlyAway.
It’s the smart and inexpensive way to get to LAX.

Adults: $3 one way; $6 round trip
Children under 2 ride free
Children 2 to 12: $2 one way; $4 round trip

www.LAWA.org • 1-866-IFLYLAX 1-866-435-9529 • A service of Los Angeles World Airports
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Adults: $3 one way; $6 round trip
Children under 2 ride free
Children 2 to 12: $2 one way; $4 round trip
Note also that payment is CASH only.

Also for the period from March 15th - 31st 2006:

"travelers taking public transportation such as Metro Rail, Metrolink and Amtrak trains; DASH; municipal buses; and taxis TO Union Station can ride the FlyAway bus roundtrip for free. Travelers should show tickets or receipts from public transit services to the FlyAway ticket kiosk staff for a free roundtrip ticket."
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:07 am

They are really pushing this. I was at Union Station today and there were people handing out pamphlets advertising the new FlyAway service. L.A. is finally taking public trandsit seriously.

Now, when they finally put in the Purple Line to Santa Monica...
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I used to take the Van Nuys Flyaway bus to LAX

When I lived in Northridge & Quartz Hill (Lancaster/Palmdale area), I would drive down to the Van Nuys flyaway station & take the bus to LAX. If I was running late(or my flight got in after 10PM), I would drive down to one of the LAX area parking lots & go from there to the airport.

I would say that the Union station bus would be handy for people in the downtown area or someone taking the train into Union Station.

Now that I live close to the airport, I could taxi, park by LAX/shuttle, or MTA bus #232 gets me to the airport.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Exp
The bus is great for people who live in LA. But if you fly in, reluctantly (becasue you really want public transport to be the urban answer), can I advise you to get a car. There really is no way to properly get around this region without one. And seeing LA is better when you have a car.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:31 am

Folks, I think we've gotten across that for a great deal of LA you would need a car.

But for those who are going downtown on bizness only, this offers an additional option in addition to cab, Super Shuttle, & the metro line. Also, for those who want an easy way to get to Union Station to catch Amtrak.

If someone is doing work only in downtown LA, I would not advise them to get a car because car rental + hefty hotel parking fees adds up.

The point of the thread was to let people know they now have one more option for travel to downtown LA.

If someone hasn't reported before then, look forward to fly4funsea 's report.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:30 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels Platinum
LAX Flyaway

I have used this service twice in the past couple of weeks and I must say that it is quite good. One of the trips took 45 minutes to LAX, but that was due to an accident on the freeway (a truck had overturned so a 15 minute delay was not bad under the circumstances). My second trip took half an hour and the driver and I had a very fun and lively chat, which always makes the time just fly by. As mentioned before, the bus gets to use carpool lanes, and I think for a portion of the trip it uses a dedicated bus lane as well. My accommodation was near the Hollywood Vine Metro station, so it was extremely convenient to just hop on the red line and head to Union Station. In addition, the trip cost me $1.25 due to the Flyaway portion being free until the end of March if you use public transportation to get to Union Station, which is a lot cheaper than using a shuttle service or taxi.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:47 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
I know that many American are car only poled - anything to do with public transportation seems like madness.

But consider this:
It will take me a lot of money to get my international drivers licence. Also I am not very keen to get a car at an airport, care about when I will start or not, drive around in a city like LA when all I want to do is get downtown and get on a train the next day.

I had a friend of mine who was so kind to pick me up and drive me downtown, for going back from San Diego I flew back to LAX because I did not know how to deal with my luggage and get from downtown back to the airport.

I therefor spend about 10 hours on both airports waiting, just to make sure I get to the place I was supposed to be. Driving from SAN to LAX costs money to, and while this may be a nice way to drive for somebody who is home there, it is not so much for a tourist.

Getting from LAX to Union station at that moment was taking all three metro lines - an insanity from my point of view.

Therefor having a bus which can take me to Union Station without the cost and hazzle of a rented car or taxe on a regular schedule is great. You should have more of those btw.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by nixande
Getting from LAX to Union station at that moment was taking all three metro lines - an insanity from my point of view.

Therefor having a bus which can take me to Union Station without the cost and hazzle of a rented car or taxe on a regular schedule is great. You should have more of those btw.
Getting from LAX to Union Station requires taking the shuttle to the Green Line station and then taking the Green Line to the Blue Line, if I recall correctly. Shady transfer from the Green Line to the Blue Line, though... I try to stay far away from those areas.

With the uprising we're having about bus lanes on Wilshire and the light rail on the old Exposition right of way (Is this still even in the picture???), I don't see public transport making much headway in this city. To be truthful, it's probably for the better; this city is too large and developed to implement something that could at all be functional anyways.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:51 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by fly4funsea
ACES! I am flying into LAX April 28th and heading to Palm Springs from there via train. If someone doesn't report how the service is I'll be sure to throw my half cents worth. ^

i guess the extortionate fares to PSP got to you but from what i've heard that Amtrak train is frequently delayed and by many hours but it sounds like it might be fun nonetheless. I'm guessing that you're going back directly from PSP as to my knowledge there is no return from PS on Amtrak.
Have fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.