FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/554820-consolidated-what-do-layover-lax-thread.html)

TWA884 May 15, 2017 11:44 am

Moderator's Action

A recent question and an answer about luggage storage options at/near LAX was moved to the following thread:
TWA884

Stgermainparis Jun 1, 2017 3:54 pm

Need help figuring out a long connection time of 12.5 hours (6:30 AM- 7 PM) after redeye out of OGG on our return home. Had not intended this to be so long that we'd have to collect our bags, etc, but with a schedule change, that is where we are. Traveling with our 3 children (2 of which are big teens). Anyway two questions:

1. What options are there for a hotel stay? These are odd hours outside normal checkin and checkout. I'm gold at SPG/Marriott/Hilton and Explorist at Hyatt, if that helps in terms of checkin/out times. We'd need to check in around 7:30 AM and checkout around 5 PM, I imagine.

2. Since it is unlikely that any of us would sleep anyway (none of us can ever just sleep in situations like this), I've also reserved an 8-seater SUV as a back up plan. My thinking here is that if someone did want to rest, they could curl up in last row. If we were to do this option, need recs for an easy low stress activity. Considered a studio tour, but not sure. Would need to be within say hour of airport b/c we'll be tired and don't want to be driving too much (though we can trade out). Possibly we could go take a nap somewhere at airport hotel/sleep lounge (is there one?) and then get car for a 5-hour excursion somewhere (not beach b/c will have been in Maui for 2 weeks).

On the outbound, we have a 4.5 hour layover 9:30-2. 3/5 of us have AX plat for DL lounge access, but I'm wondering if we can move terminals for PP (my membership allows us all in).

bzcat Jun 1, 2017 5:36 pm

On the outbound, I would try the KE lounge at TBIT which is a PP lounge.

On your return, if you are not going to sleep, I'd suggest a trip Downtown to see the Space Shuttle. You'll need to pick up the rental car (which is a high stress activity at LAX!) and navigate heavy rush hour traffic (!) but your kids will enjoy it and it is definitely not more beach! You have plenty of time to get back to the airport with a 12 hour layover.

Edit: actually, based on your arrival time, you won't get out of rental car lot until about 9 AM. Go get some breakfast nearby before heading out around 10 AM. Traffic will be heavy but won't be really bad.

Reserve your tickets here: https://californiasciencecenter.org/...r-reservations

TWA884 Jun 1, 2017 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 28390017)
1. What options are there for a hotel stay? These are odd hours outside normal checkin and checkout. I'm gold at SPG/Marriott/Hilton and Explorist at Hyatt, if that helps in terms of checkin/out times. We'd need to check in around 7:30 AM and checkout around 5 PM, I imagine.

travelpye Aug 15, 2017 4:50 am

Visiting La Brea Tar Pits on a Layover

La Brea from LAX area hotel?

My sister and I are considering breaking our flight home from Maui next March with one day in LA. With us will be her 12 year grandaughter who would really enjoy seeing La Brea Tar Pits Museum. It looks like there also is an art museum nearby that she also might enjoy.

We do not wish to rent a car for the day.

Is taking a bus the best way to get there?

Are there tours that would visit these attractions plus perhaps other museums or the observatory? I have not found any yet. Main focus of most tours I have found seem to be Hollywood or Disneyland and the other amusement parks.

Thanks!

TWA884 Aug 15, 2017 10:18 am

I moved your post into its own thread since it is more than just a question about getting to or from someplace in Los Angeles and in order that it gets the attention that it deserves.

I am not familiar with any organized bus tours of museums. I checked the LA Metro Trip Planner. It takes two buses and approximately 70 minutes to get from the LAX City Bus Center to Fairfax and Wilshire, near the Tar Pits, the Page Museum, LACMA and the Peterson Automotive Museum. If I were in your situation, I'd take Uber or Lyft.

There are plenty of other interesting museums in the Los Angeles area, however, there is a limit to how much you can see in one day.

Here's an article from our local CBS station: Best Museum Tours In Los Angeles

And a post from the Los Angeles 101: What you must know when visiting LA thread discussing museums.

I'll add The Broad museum to those lists.

If you have the time to get to Griffith Park, I think that your sister's granddaughter will enjoy visiting the Observatory and the Autry Museum of the American West.

bzcat Aug 15, 2017 4:15 pm

It's possible to take the bus from LAX hotel to Wilshire/Fairfax where the museum row starts but it's a long slog.

There are several options but the preferred (most frequent bus service) route is to take Culver City Rapid 6 from LAX City Bus Station to Westwood (Westwood Blvd / Wilshire Blvd), then change to Metro Rapid 720 going East and get off at Fairfax Ave, which is 1/2 block west of La Brea tar pits. LACMA is right next door as you mentioned and you can spend a couple of hours there for sure. Both R6 and 720 runs frequently during most of the day so if you miss one, it won't take long for the next bus to come.

The other option is to take Metro Local 102 from LAX City Bus Station to La Cienega Blvd and change to Metro Local 217, which runs on Fairfax Ave. This route is more direct but 102 runs only once an hour so I do not recommend any tourist use.

But honestly, if there are 3 of you traveling, you may want to consider using Uber or Lyft. You will get there faster and it won't cost that much more than 6 bus fares each way.

Another more pricey option is to take the Hop on Hop off bus... you can see the tar pits and then a bunch of other places (all while stuck in traffic... a real LA experience!)

https://www.starlinetours.com/1h1-ho...tour-24-hours/

https://fh-sites.imgix.net/sites/355...x&w=1903&h=988

OTD Aug 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Echo others' suggestion for Lyft/Uber. I used to take the 720 bus as part of my commute. It isn't anything I'd wish on anyone on vacation. And as previously noted, the Petersen car museum is right across the street from LACMA. And if you're in that neighborhood, you're not far from the Farmer's Market.

Putnik Aug 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Another vote for the Peterson Car museum that's close by.

VickiSoCal Aug 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Peterson is great, but honestly LACMA + the Tar Pits is a long and full day in and of itself.

Uber/Lyft is absolutely your best bet.

chrisl137 Aug 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 28719615)
Peterson is great, but honestly LACMA + the Tar Pits is a long and full day in and of itself.

Tar pits and Page Museum (the stuff from the pits) is a lot less time than trying to include LACMA and would be a reasonable partial day visit. LACMA can be a full day.

I definitely agree on cab/lyft/uber to get there and back.

travelpye Aug 28, 2017 4:33 am

Thank you all for this advice. I apprecaite the information, and we will incorporate these suggestions into our plans.

Bryan Murphy Sep 6, 2018 3:20 am

LAX. What to do for 8 hours.

What to do with an 8 hour layover @ LAX? I don't want to sit in the AA Flag ship lounge for that time.
Thanks
Bryan

Efrem Sep 6, 2018 4:40 am

Welcome to FT!

You might take a look at our California destination forum to see if there are any existing threads on this topic. (I haven't checked, but I know there are lots for places like London so I wouldn't be surprised to find them for Los Angeles as well.) A moderator may move this question to that forum.

writerguyfl Sep 6, 2018 4:46 am

There's a bus service call FlyAway that is operated by the airport. For $8-10 each way, you can easily get to places like Hollywood, Long Beach, or Downtown LA.

https://flylax.com/en/flyaway-bus

Which of those locations is best will depend upon your interests and whether you've visited Southern California in the past. Some folks would probably love to see the ocean. Other people will enjoy Downtown LA more, with it's cultural neighborhoods and museums. Finally, the thought of heading to Hollywood and Vine will excite others. (Keep in mind, the reality of Hollywood is that it's gritty, not pretty.)

You'll probably get better information in the "Los Angeles" sub-forum. That's part of the "Destinations" area found under the "Forum" tab above. I've sent a message to moderators. This thread probably will get moved over to that location. (Don't worry about posting here. Finding your way around FlyerTalk can be daunting for new members.)

Looks like Efrem beat me by a couple minutes with advice about the (future) location of your question.