FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/554820-consolidated-what-do-layover-lax-thread.html)

Points4Fun Nov 27, 2023 6:38 am

bzcat Wow! Thank you so much. Can't wait to try out these roads!

shuuy Dec 3, 2023 8:40 pm

I've got a 6.5 hour layover with two kids under 3. Arriving internationally from Australia. (6am landing, 1pm departure). Bags thru tagged

The kids' body clock (on landing) will say it's 1am.
Feels like too short a time to get a day hotel (after luggage and the shuttle with kids in tow). Rental car feels challenging logistically with two kids.
Don't think I have lounge access in T2 (flying WS - ugh).
Not really comfortable putting kids in a taxi without a car seat.

So I guess I'm a mega-whinger... and out of ideas.

Any other thoughts?

corky Dec 3, 2023 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy (Post 35793397)
I've got a 6.5 hour layover with two kids under 3. Arriving internationally from Australia. (6am landing, 1pm departure). Bags thru tagged

The kids' body clock (on landing) will say it's 1am.
Feels like too short a time to get a day hotel (after luggage and the shuttle with kids in tow). Rental car feels challenging logistically with two kids.
Don't think I have lounge access in T2 (flying WS - ugh).
Not really comfortable putting kids in a taxi without a car seat.

So I guess I'm a mega-whinger... and out of ideas.

Any other thoughts?

My sympathies!
Are there any lounges where you could pay a day rate and find a quiet corner for the kids to sleep?

chrisl137 Dec 4, 2023 2:36 am

Originally Posted by corky (Post 35793555)
My sympathies!
Are there any lounges where you could pay a day rate and find a quiet corner for the kids to sleep?

The quietest place in the airport is probably the hallway between 6 and 7 on the departures level. It's a pretty popular place for people to sleep and I think it's one of the few carpeted walkways in the airport, but it's on the wrong side of the U.

Second choice of someplace quiet to sit, but outside security, is the flagpole park just west of Sepulveda in the middle of the U. Not exactly the LA Arboretum, it's a little patch of green and flowers and nobody really goes there.

HkCaGu Dec 4, 2023 6:54 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137 (Post 35793851)
Second choice of someplace quiet to sit, but outside security, is the flagpole park just west of Sepulveda in the middle of the U. Not exactly the LA Arboretum, it's a little patch of green and flowers and nobody really goes there.

Last time I walked past that 9-11 memorial by the old tower, there were signs of "undesirables" leaving behind trash, despite that area being within the no-trespassing zone (but the most easily penetrated and least noticeable part). Adding to the weather elements, it is a good place to play but not to nap.

Beside the 6-7 corridor, I'm betting that Bradley West should still be underutilized enough to have quiet areas. Armed with a map of the (200s) gates and looking at the departure monitors, one can easily figure out which area will be quiet for which time period.

shuuy Dec 4, 2023 3:22 pm

Thanks all - I get a feeling that a hotel room for ~3 hours may be our best bet... (showers, pool, food).

TWA884 Dec 4, 2023 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy (Post 35795651)
Thanks all - I get a feeling that a hotel room for ~3 hours may be our best bet... (showers, pool, food).

Several LAX area hotels, including Courtyard, Residence Inn and Hyatt Regency, offer day use rates.

bzcat Dec 4, 2023 7:00 pm

Kids may surprise you... when I flew with my son at that age, the body clock doesn't really catch up until about 36 hours after they last woke up from bed at home. Meaning they may be ok at the LAX transit but they will a wreck on your WS flight... So tire them out while you are on the ground at LAX. Day rate at a hotel may be a good idea - let them loose at the pool.

econ Dec 9, 2023 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 35794319)
Last time I walked past that 9-11 memorial by the old tower, there were signs of "undesirables" leaving behind trash, despite that area being within the no-trespassing zone (but the most easily penetrated and least noticeable part). Adding to the weather elements, it is a good place to play but not to nap.

Have walked by there a few times in past couple weeks going between T7 and the Hyatt. Seemed pretty clean around the memorial. I did notice a lot more trash on the sidewalk along Sepulveda.

Points4Fun Jan 30, 2024 4:11 am

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 35770117)
Topanga is ok... its full of commuters and not the greatest road to drive for fun.

You have the Mustang rental for 1 day so you got precious few hours to get as many of our world class canyon roads in as possible.

I live near LAX and work in Westlake Village so I take the canyons multiple times a week... I will give you a route to follow.

Start at Hertz lot, program your GPS with these way points:
1. Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice Beach (this will take you towards PCH instead of freeway)
2. Las Flores Canyon Road 34.053, -118.640
3. Piuma Road 34.073, -118.683
4. Paramount Ranch, Agoura Hills
5. 2362 Sierra Creek Road, Agoura Hills
6. 1959 Latigo Canyon Rd, Malibu
7. Pacific Coast Highway 34.030, -118.754

This is what I like to call the SoCal canyon starter pack... you cover some of the easier to get to roads. If you are doing this on saturday, this route will take you about 2 hours non-stop. But you would want to stop along the way to take photos so it could easily be 3 hours. There are some good hiking and view points near Paramount ranch.

Once you get back to PCH, you can either turn East (left) to go back towards Malibu or turn West (right) toward Zuma Beach. There are a bunch more canyon roads you can drive.

If you want to turn back towards Malibu, follow these way points
1. Tropicals Freshfruit, 3824+2M, Malibu 34.050, -118.693
2. Mulholland Corridor Overlook, Mulholland Hwy, Calabasas
3. Topanga Lookout Trailhead, Saddle Peak Rd, Malibu
4. Tuna Canyon Trail Head, 2802 Tuna Canyon Rd, Topanga
5. Tuna Canyon, Malibu
6. Malibu Country Mart, 3835 Cross Creek Rd, Malibu

This will complete a loop of Malibu Canyon's finest roads in another hour of non-stop driving. But more like 2 hours if you stop along the way to take in the views.

All of the way points I mentioned above will work with Google Map.

Take a look at this website: https://www.thebackrd.com/

Just wanted to let you know that the routes were excellent! Spent most of Saturday in these canyons. Tuna Canyon was one of the best. Interesting also to see the combination of road cyclists and a number of Porsches and Ferraris at high speed thru some of the blind turns. I hope they're all ok.

Thanks again:)

bzcat Jan 30, 2024 9:54 am

Tuna Canyon is my favorite too :)

peagreenid Feb 4, 2024 8:53 pm

We have a 10 hour layover at LAX on a flight on Delta to Sydney. We are flying D1 so we have lounge access, but we are thinking about going to one of the airport hotels and getting lunch before checking into the lounge. I know that I can go to a lot of places in LA in that time frame, but I'm going to have a backpack and carry on bag with me that I would prefer not to check.

Suggestions for an LAX hotel with a good restaurant. Also, would it be an issue for us to use the hotel shuttle from/to the airport?

bzcat Feb 5, 2024 11:45 am

You can try Hyatt across the street which is walking distance to T2.

But a number of hotels in the area have day-use rates so just call and ask. No problem using the shuttle if you have reservation since you will have reservation.

NZJuniorDoc Feb 6, 2024 1:52 am

~ 17 hour layover

Looking from some suggestions from the FT hive mind.

Have a ~ 17 hour layover in LAX due to some ‘wonderful’ QF flight schedules. Flying SYD-LAX-JFK. Since I loathe red eyes, I’ve ended up with a long layover instead as the QF flight arrives LAX now at 1420.

So I land 1420 on a wednesday, then depart thursday morning 0800 to JFK.

Only travelling with a carry-on roller. Have been to LA a few times before. Tossing between just picking an airport hotel (all look a little bit meh) or considering trekking further, but the 0800 departure from LAX makes me a little cautious to even head into downtown.

Any thoughts or suggestions? IHG Diamond (the IHG options look pretty average at LAX), Hilton & Marriott Gold for what it’s worth

dlaue Feb 6, 2024 7:57 am

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 35972658)
You can try Hyatt across the street which is walking distance to T2.

But a number of hotels in the area have day-use rates so just call and ask. No problem using the shuttle if you have reservation since you will have reservation.

Just a heads up---> unless it has been resolved in the last 5 days, there is a deliberately noisy labor demonstration/picket line outside the Hyatt.