Reload this Page >

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:33 am

Grab a cab to In-N-Out ,eat and watch planes fly over your head.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:55 am
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by PropClear
I second this.
I would agree.

You'll be getting out of the airport at rush hour. It is a nightmare in LA so it will take longer to get to downtown LA or Hollywood than you expect.

The trip to Manhattan Beach is easy, you'll find some good restaurants to enjoy a relaxing meal. You will likely be able to enjoy sunset at the beach before heading back to the airport for your red-eye.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by sb3
You'll be getting out of the airport at rush hour. It is a nightmare in LA so it will take longer to get to downtown LA or Hollywood than you expect.
Yup, exactly. West Hollywood / Santa Monica / etc. is nice but potentially a long laborious trip in both directions on the 405 or Lincoln. OP doesn't want to get stuck out of position when he needs to return to airport. Manhattan Beach virtually risk-free in that respect.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by United_727
Grab a cab to In-N-Out ,eat and watch planes fly over your head.
No need to take a cab-just take the Parking Spot shuttle
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:59 am
Suspended

I third this... It's even more fun if ur single.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If you are too intimated by LA traffic, you can venture into the International Terminal to kill your time in *A lounge (tell TSA that you want to sample some restaurants there). The foods and the atmosphere are very nice. Happy travels.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by happytobeme
I have a six hour layover after a BusinessFirst TPAC at LAX Thursday followed by a red-eye east. I land in LA at 5PM, depart at 11PM.

Is it worth it to leave the airport and explore or just wait it out? Any suggestions on what to do? If I stay at the airport, any lounge option better than another?

FWIW, I have never been to Los Angeles, so the city would be new to me! Thanks in advance for your advice!

Happytobeme
If your arriving plane's gate will be at TBIT, no question about it: Go directly to the Star Alliance lounge there, shower and change, and have a drink and a snack. If you like it, stick around; if you want a change of pace, you'll still have time to take the Parking Spot shuttle to In-N-Out or cab it over to Manhattan Beach, as others have suggested.

In any of these cases, remember to get to your departing terminal before they close the Pre checkpoints, which can be as soon as 10:15 p.m. in my sample-size-of-one experience.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: miles and more
11 hour layover connecting to Air Tahiti Nui at Los Angeles Airport

I am planning a trip from Italy to Papeete with a 11 hours stop over in Los Angeles Airpot (arriving 1pm leaving at midnight

Need few tips
Is it true I have to collect my registered luggage at Los Angeles Airport and check in it again( I fly Air Tahiti nui). Should I have to keep my registered luggage all the time with me or I can check in it immediately?

Due to the long wait , do you recommend to go downtown or is it better to remain at the airport due to the long time for immigration formalities out and in, and for transport time consuming?

I thank you for your kind help.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:41 pm

You will have to collect your luggage upon arrival in the United States (which I presume is at LAX).

You have not specified on what airline you are arriving into LAX, but if the airline you are flying in on has an interline baggage agreement with TN (Air Tahiti Nui) then you should have the bag tagged at your origin to your final destination. If the bag is so tagged, after clearing through immigration and customs, simply represent the bag as connecting baggage. If, however, your arrival airline does not have an interline baggage agreement with TN, you bag cannot not be checked through; you will have to take the bag to TN yourself and re-check it.

Contact your origin airline to ensure that it has an interline baggage agreement with TN; this list may be dated or incomplete: http://uk.airtahitinui.com/air-tahit...-partners.html

11 hours is a long time to spend in an airport unless you, like me, enjoy planespotting. Public transport from LAX to Downtown LA is about 75 minutes. Take the free "G" bus from the terminal to the nearby stop on the Greenline Metro.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=LA...m&z=12&start=1

Best to know where in LA you want to visit. Downtown in the United States is not like Center city in Europe.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"due to the long time for immigration formalities out and in"

There are no out-migration formalities when departing from the United States. Just check with TN to know what their cut-off time is for checking in for the LAX-PPT.

If your originating airline cannot check your bag through to PPT, then you should Google "LAX baggage storage" to see if there are any such facilities at LAX.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...d-threads.html
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by rudy51
I am planning a trip from Italy to Papeete with a 11 hours stop over in Los Angeles Airpot (arriving 1pm leaving at midnight

Need few tips
Is it true I have to collect my registered luggage at Los Angeles Airport and check in it again( I fly Air Tahiti nui). Should I have to keep my registered luggage all the time with me or I can check in it immediately?

Due to the long wait , do you recommend to go downtown or is it better to remain at the airport due to the long time for immigration formalities out and in, and for transport time consuming?

I thank you for your kind help.
I've moved your post over to the Los Angeles destination forum, where folks are more likely to know specifics about the LAX airport and procedures there as well as things to see and do near the airport on your long layover.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've merged your query into the the existing thread.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

TN opens for check-in three hours prior to departure.

Hopefully, you'll be on a through ticket or your arriving airline has an interline agreement with TN and you can recheck just after Customs. Otherwise you'll have to find a place to check your baggage.

"Luggage Storage

While there are no luggage lockers or storage facilities at the airport, LAX Luggage Storage is a company which provides an off-site luggage storage service by collecting and delivering your items directly to your terminal at a pre-arranged time.

Rates: Prices start at $5 per day for a small bag such as a briefcase to $12 per day for a bicycle, snowboard or similar bulky item.

LAX Luggage Storage - LAXLuggageStorage.com
8911 Bellanca Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90045
Phone number: (310) 670-4186"

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 1, 2015 at 4:26 pm
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
You have to collect your luggage at customs after you clear immigration.

If the luggage is tagged to PPT already, you can check it at the re-check station before exiting the secured area. Then I would recommend you spending some time in Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach. Don't bother going to "Downtown". It is too far and not much to see.

If the luggage is not tagged to PPT, you need to take it upstairs to the TN counter and check in with them.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bzcat
You have to collect your luggage at customs after you clear immigration.

If the luggage is tagged to PPT already, you can check it at the re-check station before exiting the secured area. Then I would recommend you spending some time in Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach. Don't bother going to "Downtown". It is too far and not much to see.

If the luggage is not tagged to PPT, you need to take it upstairs to the TN counter and check in with them.
The problem being TN opens its counters three hours prior to departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.