Reload this Page >

The Consolidated LAX Parking Thread (2001 - 2021) [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Newer posts on this topic have been relocated to a new thread.The Consolidated LAX Parking Thread (2019 - Date)
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated LAX Parking Thread (2001 - 2021) [Archived]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by azepine00
i recall years ago parking at the old lot led to tickets for missing front license plate - i hope such nonsense will no longer occur...
In like 2004 I got one of those tickets for no front license plate in the old Lot B as my welcome home greeting from a week in Asia. I had been parking there a week out of almost every month. To this day I quite literally have never parked in LAWA parking lot again.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
The new economy lot needs improvement.
— the electric car chargers are not operating. The control boxes are covered with a plastic bag
—- the signage is weak. There should be signs indicating which aisle to take to go to the next highest level
​​​​​​—- the signs to the shuttle bus are labeled “pick up”
—- there is no information on how long the wait is for the next shuttle bus (our wait was ~ 20 minutes this morning)
—- the shuttle bus entry requires lifting bags up and onto the bus. A better design would allow bags to be rolled into the bus

Good stuff——>
—- the address, 6100 W. 94th street, works on GPS to take you right to the parking entrance
​​​​​​—- there’s bathrooms and drinking fountains at the “pick up” spot
—- friendly staff at the entrance and at “pick up” spot
—- the front license plate reader works to open gate when entering

From the time we drove into the structure until we arrived at Terminal 1 this morning was 50 minutes. They “were supposed to have two busses but only on was being operated” said the staff guy. Our bus was packed. But about 1/3 of the bus emptied at T1.

UPDATE: At 6pm on Saturday, 10/30 our wait for a bus from Terminal 1 was ~ 10 minutes (we just missed an earlier bus). Trip to the parking facility was ~ 12-15 minutes. The digital sign on the bus did not indicate economy parking, but there were painted signs on the bus which did. Exiting the parking structure was as challenging as entering. There are almost no "exit" signs and you must rely on your own sense of direction to find the proper aisles for exit. The exit ramp connecting floor 2 to floor 1 presented us with two conflicting signs---(1) an A-frame sandwich board reading "Exit LAX <---" and (2) a permanent overhead sign reading "Exit --->".
Right or left?
You choose!
We picked right to "exit" and were rewarded with the proper path to the exit and a flawless reading of our vehicle's license plate and an open gate.
To this day, I have no idea what "Exit LAX" means. The parking structure is not anywhere near LAX.

Last edited by dlaue; Oct 31, 2021 at 10:01 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlaue
—- there is no information on how long the wait is for the next shuttle bus (our wait was ~ 20 minutes this morning)
There's a real time shuttle tracker - I just added it to the wiki. They may or may not ever add signs telling you how to find the link.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
There's a real time shuttle tracker - I just added it to the wiki. They may or may not ever add signs telling you how to find the link.
The tracker is really cool. Watched it for like 10 min LOL. Looks like the current wait is about 7 min. The shuttles at the Economy parking waited until the other shuttles get to T4 and then they move out.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50 minutes? That makes the CTA worth a decent price premium.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From the November issue of the LAX Modernization Update newsletter:
Sidewalk/Walkway/Parking Structure Restrictions and Closures:
  • Real-Time Parking Updates: Parking structures are quite busy, and can fill up. Guests are encouraged to plan ahead as "Smart Parking" features begin to roll out in the Central Terminal Area. Check the latest information on parking availability by visiting the @FlyLAXstats Twitter feed. Guests can access maps with real-time information on parking availability by visiting https://www.flylax.com/en/parking-at-lax. Parking rates and a calculator to estimate costs can also be found on this webpage.
  • Parking Structure 1: An electronic Smart Parking system that includes the ability to pre-book spaces, intuitive wayfinding, electric vehicle chargers and more, is scheduled to come on line this month. Approximately 20 spaces on each level are reserved for Low-Emission Fuel Efficient Vehicles. Traffic exiting the structure is directed west on Center Way to East Way and World Way South to exit the airport when work takes place at Center and Sky ways.
  • Parking Structures 2a/2b: Parking Structure 2a is temporarily closed during installation of "Smart Parking" features, but scheduled to reopen later this month. The pedestrian bridge from P2a to Terminal 2 has been removed. Guests can reach Terminal 2 from the Lower/Arrivals Level. A temporary exit is available from P2b onto West Way.
  • Tom Bradley International Terminal: The escalators and stairs on the north end of the building are temporarily closed. The staircase on the south end of the building is also closed. A temporary pedestrian walkway has been extended further south on the Upper/Departures Level during work on a new terminal vertical core.
  • Parking Structures 3 and 4: Work to install an electronic Smart Parking system will reduce available spaces this month. The Lower/Arrivals Level entrance to P3 will be closed for work on the APM. Guests can access P3 from the Upper/Departures Level or use P4. Terminal B Pickup on the Lower/Arrivals Level of P3 is temporarily closed, although taxis allowed to use the western-most curb during a pilot.
  • Parking Structures 5 and 6: Work to install an electronic Smart Parking system will reduce available spaces this month. New electric vehicle chargers will be available in P5, replacing those in P6 which will be upgraded. The pedestrian bridge between P5 and P6 and Terminal 6 has been removed. Guests should access Terminals 5 and 6 from the Lower/Arrivals Level. Pedestrians are detoured around a column for a future elevated walkway east of P6. COVID-19 tests are available at the lab adjacent to P6. Click here for more information.
  • Parking Structure 7: Material removal work and pile testing may reduce the number of spaces available on the ground floor. The western portion of the roof is closed for waterproofing ahead of the installation of a Smart Parking system.
  • Center Way: The sidewalk path between Terminal 7 and LAX-it is temporarily altered due to work on the APM at the corner of Center and Circle ways. The new pedestrian route is marked with detour signs.
  • World Way South: The sidewalk on the north side of the roadway past Terminal 7 is temporarily closed. A detour is available for pedestrians walking to Sepulveda Boulevard.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
This. I think LAX/LAWA just shot themselves in the CTA Parking Foot.
Re the cheaper advance parking rates at CTA, I think they are just experimenting with rates, which is smart. When I see those rates, some of the individual garages will say something like "18 spots left at this price", so they aren't selling the whole garage at that price. They will all sorts of data about pricing, utilization, etc and eventually maximize profits, push overflow parking to underutilized garages, etc.

Originally Posted by dlaue
To this day, I have no idea what "Exit LAX" means. The parking structure is not anywhere near LAX.
Exit and drive to/towards the LAX terminals would be my guess.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only prices with limited spots I've seen are at the CTA, and I think that's likely right. Those lots aren't too big and several have been demolished.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Economy Parking Bus:

David
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anybody who's done the reserved parking, either in the CTA or Economy Lot, gotten an email or link to the terms and conditions to see whether there are grace periods for slightly early arrival or late departure from the lot? Ontario has a 6 hour grace period that you can sometimes take advantage of, and I'm about to book my first reserved parking at LAX and could probably take advantage of a 6 hour grace period on that, too, if it existed.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Has anybody who's done the reserved parking, either in the CTA or Economy Lot, gotten an email or link to the terms and conditions to see whether there are grace periods for slightly early arrival or late departure from the lot? Ontario has a 6 hour grace period that you can sometimes take advantage of, and I'm about to book my first reserved parking at LAX and could probably take advantage of a 6 hour grace period on that, too, if it existed.
I just got home after using this on my trip.

Here's the info from the FAQs:
  1. What if I stay longer than expected?
    1. If you stay longer than expected you will be responsible for paying the outstanding charges upon exiting the parking structure.
  2. What if I stay for a shorter duration than expected after entering the parking structure?
    1. We cannot provide refunds if you decide on a shorter stay.
Additionally, this was in the T&C:Extensions to the Reservation Period

Your reservation is not active until 2 hours before your reservation begins. You are not guaranteed a parking spot until the time you have reserved. If you arrive early, a parking spot may not be available.

If your vehicle stays in the parking facility more than 2 hours after the reservation ends, a new parking session will begin at the posted rates. This additional payment will be required to exit the facility. No refunds are provided for parking stays that are shorter than the reservation period.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Have to say, I'm super impressed with the new parking structure. Especially all the EV charging spots they included (although they weren't turned on yet as of 2 weeks ago when I parked there). I prepaid and saved a bit of money, and as you drive in to the structure it read my license plate, so I didn't even have to roll my window down, same on the way out.

One problem I had returning to LAX around 10:30pm, was the bus to bring us back to the economy lot never showed up. After 30 minutes of waiting, and watching bus after bus pass for other lots, and group growing larger, the driver of the shuttle that stops at the city bus transfer lot offered to ferry us to his spot, which was right next to the economy lot. Ended up working out, but quite annoying that the economy bus never came by.

That said, I was told by one of the shuttle drivers that the train between the economy lot and LAX should be opening soon, anyone know when that will be?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seigex
That said, I was told by one of the shuttle drivers that the train between the economy lot and LAX should be opening soon, anyone know when that will be?

New People Mover train coming to LAX expected to revolutionize travel
The Automated People Mover (APM) train at Los Angeles International Airport is over 50%complete and on track to open in 2023. The train will connect travelers directly to airport terminals along with passenger pick-up and drop-off locations outside the central terminal area.

"The Automated People Mover train is something that is going to help us to revolutionize the way people access our Los Angeles World Airport facilities," said Justin Erbacci, chief executive officer of Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA).

Airport officials think the train along with other aspects of the modernization project will have a great impact. The train will also connect with L.A. Metro's Light Rail System and LAX's new rental car facility which will be able to hold 18,000 cars.

Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
wow, further than I thought, but still great news.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I had a similarly positive experience on my recent trip. The bus is less than ideal but the buses have been pretty decent at LAX ever since they moved them to the outer loop away from the rest of the traffic.

I can see myself primarily using the LAX economy lot in the future when the train is open. I used to avoid the long-term lot like the plague but I can see it being very handy with the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.