Search

New Terminal for BUR!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
New Terminal for BUR!

This was the first I've heard of this project.

I will miss the old terminal, a of fond memories there esp. as it was the terminus of my very first airline flight (PSA)...

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...l-18636193.php

excerpted:

Burbank Airport breaks ground on a long-awaited new terminal

With its small size and close proximity to both Hollywood and downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood Burbank Airport has a devoted following among Southern California flyers. Even the aging terminal, lacking in the sleek amenities business travelers love, is far more user-friendly than the sprawling mass of Los Angeles International.

On Thursday, though, the airport finally
broke ground on giving the cramped facility a sparkling new replacement after decades of false starts. The $1.25 billionElevate BUR project promises more than just a more modern passenger experience, it also aims to make the airport more compliant with current Federal Aviation Administration safety standards...

The new terminal will have the same number of gates, but will expand to 355,000 square feet,
giving it more room for passenger processing facilities, seating areas, baggage claims and shopping and dining options. The airport also says the winning design, which was chosen in April above two other concepts, will meet current earthquake design and ADA accessibility standards....

With construction now underway, the project
is expected to be completed in October 2026. Afterward, the present terminal faces demolition.
SPN Lifer and N830MH like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yay more construction
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fortunately the construction will be completely away from the existing terminal, so it should have really minimal effect on getting in and out of the terminal.

Something the article didn't mention is that part of the reason for it was that the setback of the old terminal from the runway is too close for modern standards (but sure is nice for that 15 second taxi to the gate on arrival).

The only real down side I see is that the walk from Lot C and the strip mall on the corner will be farther.

The real question is whether the LAX people mover will open before the new BUR terminal.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137

The real question is whether the LAX people mover will open before the new BUR terminal.
my money is on high speed rail to SF.. umm scratch that.. rail to vegas all in!...
Old Feb 2, 2024, 2:16 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Hollywood (did I miss anything?) Airport

I used it last week arriving on a United Express service. Not only is it convenient but they seem to employ some of the nicest people there.
I took a pic as I waited on my Uber ride.

Last edited by CHCflyer; Feb 2, 2024 at 2:17 pm Reason: Omission
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Hollywood (did I miss anything?) Airport
If you are asking about the name of the airport, it reverted to Hollywood Burbank Airport back in 2017.

Why the Bob Hope Airport name is changing
Last May, the operators of Bob Hope Airport changed its name to the Hollywood Burbank Airport. This summer they are finally going to make it stick and are already using it on the airport’s website.

This is not a new name, by the way. It was Hollywood-Burbank Airport from 1967 to 1978, when it became the Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport.

That name lasted until 2003, when it became Bob Hope Airport.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:28 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I used to fly BUR frequently decades ago. A few memories:

-a quick walk from the plane to baggage claim (no moving belts) to rental cars.
-boarding front and back of aircraft
-seeing a PSA smiling face secretly painted on a US Air BAE-146 aircraft by someone as a joke (or tribute) shortly after the takeover
-being able to sit in the bar and watch passengers get screened in the hallway to the gates
-seeing actors/actresses in makeup catching a flight after a shoot
-seeing "working girls" waiting for Friday flights to Las Vegas
-seeing George Burns in a wheelchair being greeted by many passengers upon arrival from Vegas.
-browsing Fry's store across the street to kill time before a flight

I hope they don't mess up this gem of an airport.
-
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
If you are asking about the name of the airport, it reverted to Hollywood Burbank Airport back in 2017.
I only know the names because they are still stamped on the concrete seats in the Uber waiting area. - and they were at variance from what was plastered on the side of the control tower. So many places for one airport.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.