Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Accommodations for Asian Festival, Traditional Chinese Shopping and Best Chinese Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accommodations for Asian Festival, Traditional Chinese Shopping and Best Chinese Food

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by corky
They ate at Nobu and Din Tai Dung.....neither of those are anywhere in the the neighborhood of SGV prices.
Nobu would be about $100+ per person but not at Din Tai Fung. I would say it is probably closer to $25-$30 per person. But there is also no dim sum at Din Tai Fung which is known for its northern cuisine like dumplings/XLB/Dan Dan noodle, and dim sum is southern cuisine. Nobu is Japanese and I can't think of any "Chinese" food that would be $100 per person here in LA. The X Pot at Las Vegas would be around $100 per person. Maybe OP just meant Asian food in general.
corky and chrisl137 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Need
I can't think of any "Chinese" food that would be $100 per person here in LA.
Mr. Chow in Beverly Hills could certainly meet that requirement, or any place where you could order live king crab, but yeah, I’d be hard pressed to get anywhere near that otherwise.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Need
The X Pot at Las Vegas would be around $100 per person. Maybe OP just meant Asian food in general.
X Pot has a location in the Los Angeles area, Wagyu House by The X Pot.

According to Eater LA and Michelin, Bistro Na's is an opulent special occasion restaurant where the cuisine mimics the decor.
Bistro Na’s is the U.S. branch of the Beijing-based Na Jia Xiao Guan and is the only Michelin-starred restaurant in the San Gabriel Valley.
The restaurant’s decor mimics a traditional Chinese courtyard from the Qing Dynasty. Diners feel like royalty once they walk into the dining room, with its carved wood paneling, jade, and traditional musical instruments displayed like an art exhibit. Even the physical menu is luxurious — it’s bound with a soft cloth cover and is known as “the heaven menu.”
... the expansive interior, splashed with red, gold and blue, is as comfortable as it is eye-catching. The culinary offerings are no less opulent, deriving from royal Manchu cuisine, first established in the imperial courts of the Qing dynasty, and boasting no shortage of luxury ingredients.
Michelin lists the price per person as $50 - $300.

I have not dined there, so I can't opine whether the high end of the price range is worth it.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
One other point to be made - folks have been posting on what might be costs of the meals. Nothing has been said on the costs of drinks.

David
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by DELee
One other point to be made - folks have been posting on what might be costs of the meals. Nothing has been said on the costs of drinks.
Members are responding to his comparison of a Chinese dinner in Cincinati for which he paid $76 to meals that they had in Los Angeles and cost him in the $300 to $400 range.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Understood. But a lot of the comments are focused on the possible dine locations that could/could not drive the $300-$400 bill - e.g. dim sum, super sushi, etc.. There's probably the cost of drinks in the Greater LA Area that can add up and add significantly to a bill.

David
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Understood. But a lot of the comments are focused on the possible dine locations that could/could not drive the $300-$400 bill - e.g. dim sum, super sushi, etc.. There's probably the cost of drinks in the Greater LA Area that can add up and add significantly to a bill.

David
Even with drinks $100pp would probably be pretty tough in any SGV chinese restaurant. They really tend to cater to families and not have fancy drink menus - just a few kinds of beer. If you have four or more people you can generally get a standard 10 course "banquet" for not a lot per person, and a la carte you can eat yourself into a stupor for a lot less. Looking at a couple menus, Hunan Chili King you could get 3 entrees and 2 vegetables to split 4 ways and not hit $60. Shaanxi Garden is on the spendier side, but one Chef's special, a couple noodle dishes, and a couple vegetables and you're still well under $100. HCK doesn't list drink prices, but SG is $4 for a beer (just listed as "beer" on the menu), and I'd be surprised if HCK were more than that. And those are the online ordering prices - they may be cheaper if you show up and eat in or order at the counter to go.

I haven't been to the Arcadia Din Tai Fung since they moved to the mall in Arcadia, but the Arcadia restaurant was always very reasonably priced and competitive with the neighborhood (if at the high end). 101 Noodle Express across the street on Baldwin was always comparable in price and is $12-$15 per 10 dumplings, and almost everything else is $12-15/entree. I can eat a lot and I couldn't eat $100 there in two meals. DTF in Beverly Hills is probably more expensive, but probably not expensive for the area.

Now you've made me hungry and 101 is closed on wednesdays.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Even with drinks $100pp would probably be pretty tough in any SGV chinese restaurant. They really tend to cater to families and not have fancy drink menus - just a few kinds of beer. If you have four or more people you can generally get a standard 10 course "banquet" for not a lot per person, and a la carte you can eat yourself into a stupor for a lot less. Looking at a couple menus, Hunan Chili King you could get 3 entrees and 2 vegetables to split 4 ways and not hit $60. Shaanxi Garden is on the spendier side, but one Chef's special, a couple noodle dishes, and a couple vegetables and you're still well under $100. HCK doesn't list drink prices, but SG is $4 for a beer (just listed as "beer" on the menu), and I'd be surprised if HCK were more than that. And those are the online ordering prices - they may be cheaper if you show up and eat in or order at the counter to go.

I haven't been to the Arcadia Din Tai Fung since they moved to the mall in Arcadia, but the Arcadia restaurant was always very reasonably priced and competitive with the neighborhood (if at the high end). 101 Noodle Express across the street on Baldwin was always comparable in price and is $12-$15 per 10 dumplings, and almost everything else is $12-15/entree. I can eat a lot and I couldn't eat $100 there in two meals. DTF in Beverly Hills is probably more expensive, but probably not expensive for the area.

Now you've made me hungry and 101 is closed on wednesdays.
Again, many of us from the LA region focus on where most of us go and what we'd order (and not order). Without the OP letting us know if they picked some really different dishes and/or non-standard drinks (e.g. how much tea can one drink or even novel boba drinks should the restaurant have served such) or higher end drinks (VSOP or other kinds of firewater), we're left guessing again. As we did in puzzling over the "Vernon" Airbnb.

David
Need likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, many of us from the LA region focus on where most of us go and what we'd order (and not order). Without the OP letting us know if they picked some really different dishes and/or non-standard drinks (e.g. how much tea can one drink or even novel boba drinks should the restaurant have served such) or higher end drinks (VSOP or other kinds of firewater), we're left guessing again. As we did in puzzling over the "Vernon" Airbnb.

David
Yeah, I'm just focusing on where one goes for good Chinese food in LA, which is old Jonathan Gold territory, rather than BH. There aren't even expensive dishes to pick at most places. Tea and rice are generally bottomless, and SGV Chinese restaurants are definitely not expensive frou-frou drink spots. And to top it off, they're more likely to downsell you than upsell you. I used to go out a lot with a skinny girl who has a hollow leg and speaks chinese, and I can't tell you the number of times there were exchanges that got relayed to me as "She's telling us that's too much food, two people can't eat that much, so I had to explain..."
corky, Need and TWA884 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.