Visiting in LAX

Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
American operates out of Terminals 4 and 5. That makes the walk to the Hyatt up to 0.85 of a mile (1.36km).
<snipped>
So, like 17 minutes at 3 MPH?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
Lol. Yes, I know its far but also B11 to B90 at DEN Terminal B is much further (admittedly there are moving sidewalks). It is much easier however to stay on the north side of the airport (T1/T2/T3) lower level and just walk past the Uber pick up lot.

And can be much quicker than waiting on the shuttle bus/sitting in traffic.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mvoight
Or take the LAX-it shuttle to the ride-share/taxi lot, cross Sepulveda Blvd. and you're there.
dlaue and S80 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by dlaue
As mentioned above walking on the Strand, which fronts both Manhattan and Hermosa Beach, is a mellow way to pass the time.

Check out virtualglobetrotting.com to see who lives in our communities. Pick out the house you would like to live in and be gobsmacked that the rents on oceanfront properties range from $14,000 to $50,000/month.

It's ~ a 20-25 minute drive between Hermosa and LAX, except during the worst times of rush hour.

If you have a whole lot of layover time, be aware that there is bus service to Manhattan/Hermosa and it's free until the end of 2021.

However, ride share and taxi service has been spotty since the economy opened up.
Any recommendations for grabbing a few beers at Manhattan/Hermosa for someone who is alone?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 11:00 am

If you have a whole lot of layover time, be aware that there is bus service to Manhattan/Hermosa and it's free until the end of 2021.
I couldn't find any information on this. Is it the regular metro bus or a different one?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mileshound
Any recommendations for grabbing a few beers at Manhattan/Hermosa for someone who is alone?
Are you looking for a dive? Shellback in MB if you are...on Manhattan Beach Blvd at the very end before the pier. In Hermosa go to Hennessey's and sit upstairs if you can...amazing views of the whole beach. Lots of beers on tap and great burgers.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Not Manhattan/Hermosa, but I often visit El Segundo brewery while on a LAX layover (usually by myself). Good beer, friendly brewery staff.
https://www.elsegundobrewing.com/
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by corky
Are you looking for a dive? Shellback in MB if you are...on Manhattan Beach Blvd at the very end before the pier. In Hermosa go to Hennessey's and sit upstairs if you can...amazing views of the whole beach. Lots of beers on tap and great burgers.
Shellback looks like the perfect place!!!!!
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Shellback looks like the perfect place!!!!!
I also like The Strand House in Manhattan Beach
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I couldn't find any information on this. Is it the regular metro bus or a different one?
There are two bus lines, LA Metro and Beach Cities Transit, serving the beach towns.

Use Google Maps to plot your course and select the "Transit" option.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:45 pm

I realize this was an issue a year prior, is this still an issue?

I used to spend a great time in Manhattan and Hermosa Beach many years priorThese are the best beaches for walking. plan accordingly
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by corky
I agree on Hennessey's.
If you are single and young, Baha Sharkeez on Pier Avenue in Hermosa Beach (about 3/4 block from the pier) is known as one of the best "meet markets" in LA.
Tower 12 restaurant/bar across from Sharkeez is also a hangout for boys and girls to mingle.
Unfortunately, the pandemic defeated our only beachfront dive bar, The Deck (renamed from The Poop Deck to comport to 21st century tastes).. It's undergoing transformation into a franchised bodega, which we don't need in Hermosa.
corky likes this.

Last edited by dlaue; Feb 28, 2022 at 10:20 am
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I agree on Hennessey's.
If you are single and young, Baha Sharkeez on Pier Avenue in Hermosa Beach (about 3/4 block from the pier) is known as one of the best "meet markets" in LA.
Tower 12 restaurant/bar across from Sharkeez is also a hangout for boys and girls to mingle.
Unfortunately, the pandemic defeated our only beachfront dive bar, The Deck (renamed from The Poop Deck to comport to 21st century tastes).. It's undergoing transformation into a franchised bodega, which we don't need in Hermosa.
I lived at two blocks from Hermosa Beach pier for 15 years. Hennessey's, Baha Sharkeez were my usual hangout with F.F.F.F. which is no longer. The entire Hermosa Beach pier area is a hopping place and enjoyed living at the neighborhood but never thought as "meet markets." I liked Hermosa Beach because it is a less known area for outsiders.
corky likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I lived at two blocks from Hermosa Beach pier for 15 years. Hennessey's, Baha Sharkeez were my usual hangout with F.F.F.F. which is no longer. The entire Hermosa Beach pier area is a hopping place and enjoyed living at the neighborhood but never thought as "meet markets." I liked Hermosa Beach because it is a less known area for outsiders.
If you are shopping in a supermarket and stay in the produce aisle, you'll never know what's going on by the butcher Yet, you're in the same market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.