Visiting in LAX

Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Visiting in LAX

Two related questions.

I am flying Flagship First into LAX on Sept. 26. I arrive LAX around 3:30PM and depart around 8:15. There is an earlier connection I can probably change to.

Question 1: Is there anything in LAX worth doing; i.e. a lounge worth the time to visit that I'll have access to based on a Flagship First ticket.
Question 2: If I want to meet up with a friend, which will presumably have to be outside security, any particular advice? Anything more complicated than just going to the curb and having them pick me up, then have them drop me back at least an hour before my connection (I'll obviously have to go back through security)?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by redtop43
Two related questions.

I am flying Flagship First into LAX on Sept. 26. I arrive LAX around 3:30PM and depart around 8:15. There is an earlier connection I can probably change to.

Question 1: Is there anything in LAX worth doing; i.e. a lounge worth the time to visit that I'll have access to based on a Flagship First ticket.
Question 2: If I want to meet up with a friend, which will presumably have to be outside security, any particular advice? Anything more complicated than just going to the curb and having them pick me up, then have them drop me back at least an hour before my connection (I'll obviously have to go back through security)?
1. Both Flagship First and Business get access to the AC Club at LAX but note that the Flagship section of the lounge remains closed. I wouldn't say this lounge is worth visiting but it sure is better than the regular gate areas.
2. You and your friend can consider going to a restaurant or bar in one of the hotels that are right next to LAX (Hilton, Sheraton, Westin, etc.) to ensure you are back on time.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

When I have had a longish layover at LAX I have gone down to Manhattan beach and walked along the pier and the boarwalk looking at the houses and beach and grabbed a coffee.

I would check the traffic conditions around LAX and allow for any traffic delays on return. Otherwise a hotel bar/restaurant ( if open) is a good option also.

Regards

TBS
jamabam, dw, corky and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 5:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

When I have had a longish layover at LAX I have gone down to Manhattan beach and walked along the pier and the boarwalk looking at the houses and beach and grabbed a coffee.

I would check the traffic conditions around LAX and allow for any traffic delays on return. Otherwise a hotel bar/restaurant ( if open) is a good option also.

Regards

TBS
hyatt regency is the most walkable option from the terminals
Old Sep 5, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Hi,

Regards

TBS
Walking in Manhattan Beach area is a great idea!
pfreet likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:17 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Hi,

Regards

TBS
I’d second that (or Hermosa Beach if you have a bit more time). You won’t have to take the freeway back so unexpected traffic shouldn’t be to much of an issue (of course check real time conditions while you’re there to make sure you aren’t delayed getting back).
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
We love airplanes.

With a longish layover at LAX, we go to the In-N-Out burger on S. Sepulveda Blvd. It's only about 200' offset from the centerline of 24R and next to the airport fence line.

Great place for a burger and a shake, with lots of big aircraft flying overhead.

All the best, James
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, DL Silver, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Avis PC
Be aware that Uber and Lyft at LAX is a disaster. You have to take a shuttle to a remote site and the delay to get a car can be upwards of an hour and the price can be through the roof. Getting back to the airport is usually better but not reliably so.
corky, LovePrunes and dlaue like this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
As mentioned above walking on the Strand, which fronts both Manhattan and Hermosa Beach, is a mellow way to pass the time.

Check out virtualglobetrotting.com to see who lives in our communities. Pick out the house you would like to live in and be gobsmacked that the rents on oceanfront properties range from $14,000 to $50,000/month.

It's ~ a 20-25 minute drive between Hermosa and LAX, except during the worst times of rush hour.

If you have a whole lot of layover time, be aware that there is bus service to Manhattan/Hermosa and it's free until the end of 2021.

However, ride share and taxi service has been spotty since the economy opened up.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
hyatt regency is the most walkable option from the terminals
American operates out of Terminals 4 and 5. That makes the walk to the Hyatt up to 0.85 of a mile (1.36km).

Map Source (switch to aerial view to see the walking path and crosswalks): https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=28436...=2&form=S00027

For the record, I'm not disagreeing with you. It certainly is walkable. I'm only mentioning the distance so anyone walking is aware of the length/time it will take.

Originally Posted by redtop43
Anything more complicated than just going to the curb and having them pick me up, then have them drop me back at least an hour before my connection (I'll obviously have to go back through security)?
Be aware that traffic within the terminal area at LAX can be brutal. I've had times where it's taken 30+ minutes just to get from the airport entrance to one of the furthest terminals.

The airport does provide live traffic on their website. Although, I can't tell you how accurate it is:
https://www.flylax.com/lax-traffic-a...nstruction-map
Old Sep 5, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Yes to Manhattan Beach.
Lots of places to eat.
Relatively close to the airport.
Clean and pleasant.
The sepulveda tunnel can get really backed up on the way back and it can be nerve wracking if you head back too close to your flight time.
Plan accordingly.

I eat In&Out all the time but for a LAX layover? It is not for everybody.
This is it.
Circled in red are the tables you'd be sitting at (also the ones on the left with the umbrellas). BTW those outside tables are never cleaned by staff unless you ask. Not rare to see ketchup spills, trash, etc. from previous patron.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by only1percent
Be aware that Uber and Lyft at LAX is a disaster. You have to take a shuttle to a remote site and the delay to get a car can be upwards of an hour and the price can be through the roof. Getting back to the airport is usually better but not reliably so.
I know this was a problem a year ago, is this still an issue?

BTW, love the Manhattan Beach idea, seems like just enough time if getting a Lyft at the airport isn't too brutal.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DFW_CK
Walking in Manhattan Beach area is a great idea!
Yep, did that before our trip to OGG after having COVID tests next to T6 parking.
I used to spend a lot of time in Manhattan and Hermosa Beach decades ago
Old Sep 5, 2021, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
DC9 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Thanks for the advice. However I'm not going to go to the beach, tempting though it is. My original inbound flight was cancelled and I was rebooked on a flight 3 hours earlier, but I haven't changed my connection yet. It's not worth staying in the airport just to visit the AC (I have an Amex Plat so I'm a regular at the Centurion Lounge where they exist) so if my friend isn't available for lunch, I'll just catch an earlier connection out of LAX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.