Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Advice for 5 nights in LA (previously: SFO or LAX in Nov/Dec?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for 5 nights in LA (previously: SFO or LAX in Nov/Dec?)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
It depends on the day and my mood how much fine art I can digest. Also it depends very much on what's on display. Modern art? Well, you can count my attention span in minutes. Old photography? Sure, perhaps an hour, depending on the theme and mood. Yeah, I'm not exactly an art junkie, hence I don't despise it either.
The Getty Villa's art collection is composed of Greek and Roman antiquities and art. The Getty Center's collection is composed of European and American art from medieval times to the present.

At least I'll be driving a convertible, so I maybe feel less crammed in the jam.
I was going to write that the end of November may not necessarily be convertible friendly weather in Southern California, but then I noticed your home airport.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by TWA884
I was going to write that the end of November may not necessarily be convertible friendly weather in Southern California, but then I noticed your home airport.
Yeah, the weather here at that time of the year is more like Maine or Vermont. So Cali is definetly suitable for topless driving (the car, not me) on my scale that time of the year. But I have a hardtop booking as well and will follow how the weather forecasts look like closer to my arrival. I'll then cancel the one that's less suitable.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
So Cali is...
Cali is a city in Colombia.
Flying Yazata and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Cali is a city in Colombia.
Humbug. Yeah, well, I just stop saying Cali as well then. I already stopped saying Frisco.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:31 pm

November has been very bad for fires the past couple of years so I would be careful about booking anything too far in advance, there are plenty of rooms available that time of year so you will have no problems finding something. If I were looking for one place to stay for 5 nights I would pick Santa Monica but I have spent 3 one week vacations there in the past 4 years and not once did I stay in Santa Monica. I tend to pick two or three nights in a location then move somewhere else.
The beaches are excellent and all completely different, the hiking is excellent, the art is world class. Everyone mentioned the Getty which is fabulous but Norton Simon in Pasadena is great also, and LACMA is not far behind. The Reagan library is excellent. There is so much to see and do in LA and while the traffic is awful as a tourist you can pick your times to avoid the worst of it. Waze is really good at finding quick routes there.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
For a uniquely eccentric experience, don't miss the Museum of Jurassic Technology. Note that it's only open four days a week.
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:37 pm

I should have added also that there are so many wonderful parks and gardens in and around LA. Griffith Park, the Huntington, LA County Arboretum, Descanso Gardens, the Krishna shrine and many more. Also Venice Beach canals, particularly if Christmas lights are up.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

My tentative plan is now two nights (Fri-Sun) in Santa Monica or Hollywood (somewhere in the West anyway), then stay Sun-Mon in Santa Monica and then return to LA for two nights SE or E of town.

Originally Posted by ajGoes
For a uniquely eccentric experience, don't miss the Museum of Jurassic Technology. Note that it's only open four days a week.
Noted. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
November has been very bad for fires the past couple of years so I would be careful about booking anything too far in advance, there are plenty of rooms available that time of year so you will have no problems finding something. If I were looking for one place to stay for 5 nights I would pick Santa Monica but I have spent 3 one week vacations there in the past 4 years and not once did I stay in Santa Monica. I tend to pick two or three nights in a location then move somewhere else.
The beaches are excellent and all completely different, the hiking is excellent, the art is world class. Everyone mentioned the Getty which is fabulous but Norton Simon in Pasadena is great also, and LACMA is not far behind. The Reagan library is excellent. There is so much to see and do in LA and while the traffic is awful as a tourist you can pick your times to avoid the worst of it. Waze is really good at finding quick routes there.
I'm making fully refundable bookings (and what's not possible to cancel for free, my travel insurance covers it, if there's something like a natural disaster) so that I can guarantee a good early rate, but I can still jump at some last minute savings or change my plans all together. Yes, I've indeed looked at Santa Monica for a few nights as it's supposed to be a nicer area. I was also thinking of something like San Bernardino, but that'll end up quite East. Will have to ponder my options, but indeed, I'm certainly not too late to book and can get back to the drawing board later on.

As for forrest fires: have no fear - you have a Finn en route there, so it means your raking savior will be in town. (Claiming anything else is fake news. )

ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:22 pm

Personally I would recommend Beverly Hills as a place to stay over Hollywood. Beverley Hills is a very nice area, Hollywood is a place to go see rather than a place to stay but that’s just my opinion.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
Personally I would recommend Beverly Hills as a place to stay over Hollywood. Beverley Hills is a very nice area, Hollywood is a place to go see rather than a place to stay but that’s just my opinion.
Sure, Beverly Hills is fine by me as well, but there's less suitable lodging for my needs. I'm not looking for a splurge now, because overall my trip is already loaded with quite some hotel stays elsewhere (for instance TWA884's nickname reminds me that I have TWA Hotel coming up in NYC after departing LAX). Quite possible that I might consider Airbnb, hence I just like how convenient it's with a hotel.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
The 405 is how you get to the Getty.

(And other places as well.)

P.S.: That traffic jam looks beautiful. From the air, at least.
+1 and underlining: from the air, yes, not so much from the ground.

It would be far too much of an unauthentic local experience, if one couldn't curse the traffic like a local. But yeah, joking aside, it's just a waste of time to sit in a traffic jam. At least I'll be driving a convertible, so I maybe feel less crammed in the jam.
While I did post the link to the video of traffic on the 405 as half tongue in cheek, it is/was from a prior Thanksgiving - which is in November, around the time you indicated you'd be coming to the Los Angeles area. So taking a reference from a thread years back, traffic in Los Angeles tends to go pear shaped.

But I do highlight that one of the unfortunate realities of life in Southern California is the ubiquity of traffic - even outside of what are named "rush hour" periods (7 am - 9 am and 3 pm to 7 pm - and these are potentially too narrow windows).

In our defense, at least we have many freeways in gridlock at the same time. Our Northern California bretheren and sisteren have to deal with a handful of key bridges as well as a part of their traffic flow challenge.

David
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
While I did post the link to the video of traffic on the 405 as half tongue in cheek, it is/was from a prior Thanksgiving - which is in November, around the time you indicated you'd be coming to the Los Angeles area. So taking a reference from a thread years back, traffic in Los Angeles tends to go pear shaped.

But I do highlight that one of the unfortunate realities of life in Southern California is the ubiquity of traffic - even outside of what are named "rush hour" periods (7 am - 9 am and 3 pm to 7 pm - and these are potentially too narrow windows).

In our defense, at least we have many freeways in gridlock at the same time. Our Northern California bretheren and sisteren have to deal with a handful of key bridges as well as a part of their traffic flow challenge.
Yes, I did get the drift with your video. It does indeed make one smirk at the least, but being in that congestion is of course something one would like to avoid. But I'm aware of traffic being the main variable for my visit and I don't expect to see "everything" and visit loads of places. I anyway need to just relax a bit as well, because I've been on tour for a few weeks at that point and there's a few weeks until I'm back home. So not in a mad rush and sitting in traffic is a nuisance I can take. There's no personal LA bucket list I wish to empty. However Santa Barbara and the presidential libraries will be nice add-ons and I've planned accordingly now, besides the obvious sights from downtown LA and the touristy stuff in Hollywood.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Just spent last week in LA and Anaheim (Disney). I loved eating at The Grove and Grand Central Market. Also had great brunches at Jon & Vinny’s and Tavern. Anaheim Packing District also had great food!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Just spent last week in LA and Anaheim (Disney). I loved eating at The Grove and Grand Central Market. Also had great brunches at Jon & Vinny’s and Tavern. Anaheim Packing District also had great food!
Both good choices. I love a salad at Jon & Vinny's although they are known for their pizza. I don't know anything about the Anaheim Packing District--will check it out.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Will arrive in a few days in CA and it's going to be interesting to see how the advice I received here works out. Will of course briefly sum up in this thread how well the advice given were in terms of executing them.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.