FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for 5 nights in LA (previously: SFO or LAX in Nov/Dec?)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:57 pm
DELee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
The 405 is how you get to the Getty.

(And other places as well.)

P.S.: That traffic jam looks beautiful. From the air, at least.
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
+1 and underlining: from the air, yes, not so much from the ground.

It would be far too much of an unauthentic local experience, if one couldn't curse the traffic like a local. But yeah, joking aside, it's just a waste of time to sit in a traffic jam. At least I'll be driving a convertible, so I maybe feel less crammed in the jam.
While I did post the link to the video of traffic on the 405 as half tongue in cheek, it is/was from a prior Thanksgiving - which is in November, around the time you indicated you'd be coming to the Los Angeles area. So taking a reference from a thread years back, traffic in Los Angeles tends to go pear shaped.

But I do highlight that one of the unfortunate realities of life in Southern California is the ubiquity of traffic - even outside of what are named "rush hour" periods (7 am - 9 am and 3 pm to 7 pm - and these are potentially too narrow windows).

In our defense, at least we have many freeways in gridlock at the same time. Our Northern California bretheren and sisteren have to deal with a handful of key bridges as well as a part of their traffic flow challenge.

David