2023 - 2024 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

Resources

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.

All terminals at LAX are connected airside (above ground hallways between terminals 1 and T4, and T6, T7 and T8, and tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American Eagle). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.
LAX also now has an interactive map that will give detailed instructions between any two name-able points in the terminals (e.g. gates, restaurants, lounges, etc): Interactive Map

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from T1 to T2, T3, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2018 - 2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2022/23 updates are in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by terryshen
where is the baggage recheck?
When you exit the customs hall, go to the right; the baggage drop off desks are right there. There should be a "connections/transfers" sign directing you there. Going to the left will take you to the street.

after recheck, do I need to walk outside to T3 and go through security check again?
Yes. It is quite close, less than a five-minute walk. Every arriving international passenger must clear TSA security before going back airside.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
after recheck, do I need to walk outside to T3 and go through security check again?
After dropping off checked bags, you can choose to use the TBIT lower level TSA checkpoint dedicated to international arrival connecting passengers, or TBIT TSA upstairs, walk to T3 to go through TSA there, or any other TSA checkpoint in LAX.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There's also the Delta One check-in and security checkpoint if you qualify.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/airports...ub-airport-map
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
There's also the Delta One check-in and security checkpoint if you qualify.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/airports...ub-airport-map
lower level, strangely not mentioned anywhere
Old Dec 6, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
TBIT to domestic connections - security

I have a (relatively) tight connection at LAX next month - departing T6 on Alaska. I have read about the 'secret' security checkpoint on the right of the arrivals hall at TBIT, but last time I did that route a year ago that whole area was walled off for construction. Is this still the case or is this back open? Feels like it would shave off potentially valuable minutes...

Also, any recent experiences of immigration times at TBIT - midweek, early afternoon. This has been a good time to arrive in the past - after the early Asian rush and before most of the Euro arrivals.

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
TBIT arrival level TSA is open, although hours can be erratic, probably because of staffing issues. Just check before you leave TBIT.

Immigration time at TBIT vary significantly by nationality and enrollment in global entry. US passport holders with global entry will take on average maybe 1 minute to clear immigration (I'm not exaggerating... it is that fast, especially if you download the app you don't even need to scan the passport at the machines). Visitors without global entry should expect anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes to clear immigration formalities.

If you have checked luggage, that could take 30 minutes to come out. But custom clearance is based entirely on self-reporting (and random checks) so most people just walk right out once you have retrieved your checked luggage.
Professor Yaffle likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:11 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
US passport holders with global entry will take on average maybe 1 minute to clear immigration (I'm not exaggerating... it is that fast, especially if you download the app you don't even need to scan the passport at the machines).
Even when using the Global Entry kiosk, it's done by facial recognition; there is no need to scan or show your passport. It took me less than a minute to clear passport controls at LAX in mid November. My picture was taken, an hour glass spun for a few seconds and then I got the message on the screen that I was good to proceed. It took under ten minutes from plane, parked at the low 130's gates, to curb.
OskiBear and bzcat like this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:44 am

Arriving in LAX Terminal B at 755pm, next flight on AS at Terminal 6 at 11.39pm, leaving me around 3h44mins transfer time if there are no delays.
It's not a single ticket, no check-through luggage. Don't have global entry, though I can apply for mobile passport as a Singaporean. Will have 1 checked bag, how safe/dangerous am I with catching my flight?

To clarify - I will need to go through customs at Terminal B, collect my baggage and then find my way to terminal 6 to check in.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 11, 2023, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by nuggetmag
Arriving in LAX Terminal B at 755pm, next flight on AS at Terminal 6 at 11.39pm, leaving me around 3h44mins transfer time if there are no delays.
It's not a single ticket, no check-through luggage. Don't have global entry, though I can apply for mobile passport as a Singaporean. Will have 1 checked bag, how safe/dangerous am I with catching my flight?
Welcome to FlyerTalk nuggetmag!

If your flight arrives on time at LAX, you should be OK.

I have a couple of comments, though.

Keep in mind that Alaska Airlines bag check-in cut-off time at LAX is 40 minutes prior to departure. That gives you just over three hours to drop your bag off in T6.

I am not sure whether Visa Waiver Program travelers are eligible to use the Mobile Passport Control app the first time that they visit the US, they are fine when returning on subsequent visits; however, that is a discussion for the following thread in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum:
Old Dec 11, 2023, 11:04 am

thanks for your advice. it's not my first time in the US, however first time i've read about the MPC app, and with the tight schedule, gonna try it out.
Just wondering if it's better to clear TSA at terminal B or to get to T6?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat

To clarify - I will need to go through customs at Terminal B, collect my baggage and then find my way to terminal 6 to check in.

Thanks in advance!
I assume you are on SQ38 based on the arrival time. SQ and AS have interline agreementso you may want to call SQ and confirm you can check-thru the luggage. You still have to claim your luggage and clear custom at LAX but you can drop off the checked luggage at recheck area before exiting Terminal B. It will make the transfer to AS a bit easier.

SQ may also be able to check you in to the AS flight based on my past experience. Since SQ and AS have interline and codeshare, their systems can communicate - chances are pretty good wherever you are going on AS is already on the SQ codeshare list, which means they can do a lot more than just tag your luggage. It's worth asking when you check in at SIN if they can also check you all the way thru (not just tag luggage). Checking in all the way thru will let AS know you are on your way if there is a slight delay. It won't help you if you are really late and miss the connection because they are separate tickets but it is better than nothing.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 6:20 pm

Just wondering if it's better to clear TSA at terminal B or to get to T6?
This only applies if you are unable to check your luggage to your final destination as suggested above by bzcat.

If you have to check a bag at LAX for your AS flight, you will have to take it to T6. Unless it meets the FAA carry-on dimensions restrictions (22" x 14" x 9") and has no forbidden items in it, liquids, sharp items, etc., you will not be able to take it through a TSA security checkpoint at TBIT or any other terminal at LAX.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:30 am

Thanks for the advice - quick update, I asked the counter and yes, I was able to get my itinerary put together and have my luggage checked through as welll as getting my boarding pass for the next flight, which would save me a bunch of time. However I got the dreaded SSSS 🤢… not sure what to feel about that bleah
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:29 pm

For those of you out of SMF with experience on repositioning flights, how much room (time) do you usually give yourself to reposition at LAX? I'm trying to book for family for SMF-LAX with a LAX-EU flight at 1:30pm. Do you think 3hrs is enough to connect (arriving at LAX at 10:30AM)? It would be DL at T3 so not too far to TBIT. What about a WN flight into LAX at T1? Or would you rather do the first flight of the morning arriving at LAX at 7:45AM? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by buildingcredit
For those of you out of SMF with experience on repositioning flights, how much room (time) do you usually give yourself to reposition at LAX? I'm trying to book for family for SMF-LAX with a LAX-EU flight at 1:30pm. Do you think 3hrs is enough to connect (arriving at LAX at 10:30AM)? It would be DL at T3 so not too far to TBIT. What about a WN flight into LAX at T1? Or would you rather do the first flight of the morning arriving at LAX at 7:45AM? Thanks in advance.
Since no one has shared their experiences, let me share my thoughts.

LAX is my home airport; I have never connected or repositioned here.

This appears to be a trip on separate tickets or PNRs. I assume that for a family trip to Europe, you will be checking bags. Keep in mind that at LAX, it often takes as long as half an hour for checked bags to show up on the luggage carousels.

Once you have your bags, it will take you 5-10 minutes to get from T3 (DL) or 15-20 minutes to get from T1 (WN) to the check-in counters at TBIT. While you did not identify the airline that you are flying to Europe, just about every airline has a 60 minutes cutoff for checking bags for international flights.

You didn't write whether you and your family have TSA PreCheck. Figure on 5-15 to clear security with PreCheck and up to 20-30 minutes without; however, that can be done in the time between checking your bags for the international flight and the start of boarding time, generally 30-40 minutes prior to departure time.

Should your flight depart from the West Gates concourse (200's) add 15-20 minutes to get there. That cuts your self-transfer time to approximately a hour or less. You will have no margin for error in case that your flight from Sacramento is delayed. I would not feel comfortable with only three hours for a self-transfer to an international flight at LAX.
chrisl137 and buildingcredit like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.