Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gsch
I'm planning on landing in LAX from IAH (UA) at 7:56.

I would like to fly to SFO directly (change of plans) on a separate PNR. There's a UA flight at 8:55.

Is it feasible? What would happen in case of delays on IAH-LAX?
If you're anywhere near on time (even a little late), you'd be fine. Even a worst case connection between UA metal flights at LAX shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

If you're sufficiently late that you miss the connection, that depends on UA policies.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Separate tickets means UA is not obligated to do anything if you didn't show up for boarding of the 8:55 flight. But they will probably rebook you on a later LAX-SFO flight since there are plenty of seats between the two airports.

That being said, I don't think you will have any problem making this connection. You can probably get boarding pass for both flights at IAH. Transferring between UA flights at LAX is all within TSA security so it's fairly simple.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
LAX: Transfer from Terminal 8 to TBIT

I'd like to find out how long it takes to transfer from T8 (UA) to Tom Bradley International Terminal (Lufthansa).

Is it best to walk or to take the bus?

Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by JohnRain
I'd like to find out how long it takes to transfer from T8 (UA) to Tom Bradley International Terminal (Lufthansa).

Is it best to walk or to take the bus?

Thanks
You'll actually exit out of T7, and at that point it may be a wash.

If you have time and need to stretch your legs, you can walk, it'll probably take 10-15 minutes.

If you just want to get there, the shuttle should take 7-10 minutes.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:20 pm

If it's hot outside and you're walking, you can stay inside the air conditioned terminal building a couple minutes longer by follows the signs for the terminal 6 gates (60-69), then exit security there at terminal 6.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
If it's hot outside and you're walking, you can stay inside the air conditioned terminal building a couple minutes longer by follows the signs for the terminal 6 gates (60-69), then exit security there at terminal 6.
Or find the tunnel and exit T5
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
T7 to TBIT is a toss up between shuttle and walk. It will take about the same amount of time (20 minutes or so if you walk slow and leisurely).

Shuttle will take about 10-15 minutes actual transit time depending on traffic but you should factor in about a 5 minutes wait.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Thanks for all your replies guys. I ended up walking the distance as I had plenty of time and it was a glorious day in LA.

Moderator note: I have merged this thread into the master LA connection archive for housekeeping reasons.

Last edited by Moderator2; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:26 am
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:59 pm

Hi all

I will be transiting through LAX this coming Thursday. I will be arriving at T2 with AC (from YYZ), and my connecting flight is in T4 with AA (to SMF). I have 1:55 to make this connection.

From my understanding the best way to get from T2 to T4 would be to go up to the departures level at T2, walk outside via "West Way" and then enter T4; is this correct?

On my return journey, Saturday, my LAX inbound flight from SMF arrives in T8 with UA/UX at 7:48am. My then connecting flight is from T2 with AC to YYZ at 10:00am. However, almost always, the UA flight is early, in fact today it arrived 26 minutes ahead of schedule. With that said, there is an earlier flight to YYZ and it leaves at 8:45am. I know the MCT for domestic to domestic flights is 70 minutes, but how long would it take to get to T2 from T8? Furthermore, what is the quickest route to go between those two terminals?

Oh yeah, I will only have carry-on.

Many thanks to you all for your help.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
Hi all

I will be transiting through LAX this coming Thursday. I will be arriving at T2 with AC (from YYZ), and my connecting flight is in T4 with AA (to SMF). I have 1:55 to make this connection.

From my understanding the best way to get from T2 to T4 would be to go up to the departures level at T2, walk outside via "West Way" and then enter T4; is this correct?

On my return journey, Saturday, my LAX inbound flight from SMF arrives in T8 with UA/UX at 7:48am. My then connecting flight is from T2 with AC to YYZ at 10:00am. However, almost always, the UA flight is early, in fact today it arrived 26 minutes ahead of schedule. With that said, there is an earlier flight to YYZ and it leaves at 8:45am. I know the MCT for domestic to domestic flights is 70 minutes, but how long would it take to get to T2 from T8? Furthermore, what is the quickest route to go between those two terminals?

Actually your best bet T2>T4 may be to go downstairs and hop ANY LAX shuttle (A, B, C, or G), as they all have to stop at all the terminals anyway. If you wanted to walk, easiest way may be to just walk the loop (either upstairs or downstairs) to T4. Cutting across won't save that much time (since T4 is diagonally SW from T2), and can only be done downstairs.

Going from T7/T8 to T2, you'll have to board the specific LAX A shuttle for airline connections, as that will loop back into the terminal area (T7 is the last stop, and the others will leave LAX at that point). If you wanted to walk, you'll definitely want to walk downstairs and cut through via the UFO-looking restaurant. Honestly, I would just take the shuttle, it'll take 7-10 minutes to get over to T2 that way.

70 minutes is mighty close to make that connection. If you're a gambler, book the earlier flight and if you miss it, you can always fall back to the later flight (with the chance of a crappy seat assignment). If you're risk averse, then book the later connection, and standby for the earlier flight.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
Hi all

You're OK coming inbound and transferring AC to AA. You can walk to the West way by turning right after leaving T2, or use the east way which will be to your left. In both cases, you walk along next to the parking garages. Just pay attention to the crosswalk signs, otherwise you'll be run over. The walk is not very pleasant as the lower level fills with fumes / smoke -- but it is OK. You could walk all the way around the horseshoe (upper level), or take the shuttle (lower level). Timing is a toss up, the full walk around the horseshoe will take the longest, but the shuttle or east/west way will take probably the same amount of time.

I wouldn't chance the 8:45 connection on the outbound. From T8 to T2 you'd take the "East Way" between T6/T7 and T1/T2. It's a good solid 15 minute walk at a normal pace. Then you have to reclear TSA which will be busy in the AM. If there were a 9:15 option that might be doable, but I wouldn't chance the 8:45.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:23 pm

Hi all...I have a 40 minute connection and need to get from Terminal 8 to Terminal 6 at LAX. Does anyone know if that's enough time to get from gate to gate and if I will need to pass through security at any point?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by smathison
Hi all...I have a 40 minute connection and need to get from Terminal 8 to Terminal 6 at LAX. Does anyone know if that's enough time to get from gate to gate and if I will need to pass through security at any point?
Ouch... I wouldn't delay, that's for sure.

No need to reclear security, T6 and T8 are connected airside.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by smathison
T6/T7/T8 are all connected, you do not need to reclear security. you are OK provided there is no delay. The walk will take about 10 minutes.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:35 am

Thank you both for your responses.

Today I will be doing the AC T2 to AA T4 connection. Because everything was on one ticket, I've got all my boarding passes.

Yeah, on Saturday I am booked for the 10am flight, thought I'd just ask in the event the stars should align in my favour and we arrive (much) earlier than scheduled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.