Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LHR to LAX-GUA - able to explore LAX during stopover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to LAX-GUA - able to explore LAX during stopover?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I'm having flashbacks to a traffic jam in one of the Santa Monica garages where it took me over an hour to exit the facility. I'm not making this up. Cab or Uber.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, EasyJet Plus, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Presidents Club
I think the sound of a few beers has sold me so an Uber / Cab it is - or the bus route that has been recommended. The onward flights to GUA isn't particularly long but fresh air and a stretch of the leg sounds more appealing than sitting in the lounge.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Renting a car would be mental, in my opinion. Get a cab to Santa Monica, have a few beers, don't worry about parking or the wait of renting/returning, and get a cab back to LAX.
Totally agree. Don't bother renting a car for only a 8.5 hour layover.

Just hope into a cab and head to Santa Monica. Tell them to take you to the Third Street Promenade which has alot of stores, restaurants, bars, etc. You can shop and eat there and then go for a stroll on the Santa Monica Pier before heading back to the airport.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Who do you rent from at LAX? I've had bad-to-rotten experiences at every one of the many agencies I've tried. Returns have all been smooth enough, but the pickup side routinely takes well over an hour from when I walk out of the terminal. The shuttle trip alone, not counting the wait for one to show up, is always at least fifteen minutes.
I spent an hour picking up a rental car from Budget last time I was at LAX. The shuttle wait was 15 minutes and the lineup inside the facility was horrendous. Budget is on my lifetime ban list.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:38 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Let's move this over to the LAX forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
Uber and Lyft have been approved to operate at LAX. It should start anytime now. Check on status before your trip.
The start-up date for in terminal pick-ups has been delayed again, and there is no way to determine if they will be operating by November 20. From the article, Lyft might get the green light first:

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...021-story.html
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Renting a car would be mental, in my opinion. Get a cab to Santa Monica, have a few beers, don't worry about parking or the wait of renting/returning, and get a cab back to LAX.
Another vote for this option unless Uber turns out to be easier.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Like others have suggested, take a cab.

VS23 arrives around 5PM during winter schedule so that's in the middle of rush hour. Expect lots of traffic both within LAX and on the way to Santa Monica.

Taking the cab from LAX to Santa Monica is a maximum rate ($30 to the pier, $35 to 3rd street promenade) - Note that this is not a "flat rate". Taxi drivers are allowed to use the meter but they are supposed to cap the fare at $35. Not all taxi drivers will give you the maximum rate (they pretend they don't know) so make sure the taxi guide tell the driver flat rate before the driver pulls away. Using the meter during rush hour could easily get up to $50.

http://www.smgov.net/Departments/PCD...and-Operators/

DL1393 departs at 1 AM so you need to be back at LAX no later than 11:30 PM to be safe. Taxi maybe hard to find at that late hour depending on your exact where abouts. You can't just flag one down in Santa Monica... you need to go to the taxi stand. The main one is on Broadway and 2nd street in front of the Santa Monica Place Mall. You can also find taxi queued up in front of some hotels (same maximum rate applies going back to airport). You can also use Uber to get back to LAX but you will likely have to pay surge pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.