FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   LHR to LAX-GUA - able to explore LAX during stopover? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1718432-lhr-lax-gua-able-explore-lax-during-stopover.html)

AManInEivissa Oct 21, 2015 1:43 am

LHR to LAX-GUA - able to explore LAX during stopover?

Good Morning everyone (GMT),

As some of you can see i'm quite new here so have been soaking up all the knowledge that members have been writing over the past couple of weeks and its been very interesting. I've got a 'layover' related question that both Delta at Virgin can't seem to answer :confused:...here seems the best place to get some advice.

I'm flying LHR-LAX on VS23 20th November, its a Delta flight but co-shared with Virgin. Then hoping down to GUA 8.5 hours later. Is it possible for me to leave the airport and have a quick explore? I'll be checked in for both legs of the flight and my bags should be put straight through transit so wont have to worry about them.

Is it plausible to clear customs, have an explore of Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach and come back to the airport in that time frame? As much as I love lounges I'd rather stretch my legs!

Thanks in advance ^

nux Oct 21, 2015 1:53 am

Yes you can leave the airport and return to catch your onward flight.

Originally Posted by AManInEivissa (Post 25594439)
I'm flying LHR-LAX on VS23 20th November, its a Delta flight but co-shared with Virgin.

Actually it is the other way around - VS23 is a Virgin aircraft operated by Virgin but perhaps you have booked it as a Delta codeshare. You would need to checkin with Virgin not Delta.

LondonElite Oct 21, 2015 1:54 am

Welcome to FT, AManInEivissa!

Yes, of course you can get out of the airport and explore, this really has nothing to do with the airline(s) you are flying. In fact, anything longer than four hours is usually the rule of thumb where lounges just don't cut it and fresh air, a change of scenery, and a brisk walk after/before a long flight become necessary. I'd second the idea of Santa Monica. Have a walk and a nice meal before heading back.

One thing to note on your luggage; whilst it will be through-checked to GUA, as LAX is your first port of entry to the US, you'll have to clear immigration, then pick up your bags from the carousel, then immediately redeposit them on the re-check belt (they'll already be tagged to GUA), then pass through customs (handing them your slip). Then you can leave the airport.

guv1976 Oct 21, 2015 1:55 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Certainly. You will have been "admitted" to the U.S., so you are free to leave the airport.

Are you planning to rent a car?

AManInEivissa Oct 21, 2015 2:00 am

Thanks for the quick responses guys,

On the point below, I assume its a easy process - I recall doing something similar when travelling to MIA on route to BOG but this was a little while back.

you'll have to clear immigration, then pick up your bags from the carousel, then immediately redeposit them on the re-check belt (they'll already be tagged to GUA), then pass through customs (handing them your slip).
Nux - flights were all booked through Delta for this but received an email a month or so ago saying it was being operated by Virgin. The joys of American airlines.

guv1976 - I doubt it. I was debating on getting an Uber straight to the beach - having a nice walk and then finding a spot for a bite to eat. Renting a car may take up a bit too much time in that 8 or so hour window?

LondonElite Oct 21, 2015 2:06 am

Originally Posted by AManInEivissa (Post 25594470)
I assume its a easy process

Dead easy and almost 100% idiot-proof.

AManInEivissa Oct 21, 2015 2:09 am

almost 100% idiot-proof
Well then Santa Monica here I come. Thanks for speedy response. ^

LondonElite Oct 21, 2015 2:12 am

And, whilst I can speak competently about neither airline's economy product, a switch to VS is probably a god-send. Their FAs are far more attractive and fun.

AManInEivissa Oct 21, 2015 2:17 am

Never flown Delta before (shock horror), and although I find Virgin's Premium and Upper product lacking in comparison to other airlines - the change from Delta to Virgin I've heard is no bad thing. Plus the Virgin Club House experience at T3 it pretty slick.

mikeycanuk Oct 21, 2015 9:19 am

Unless things have changed an Uber pickup requires getting out of the geozone blocking on LAX property.

We used the Avis shuttle, walked off the Avis lot and requested a car. Easy.

guv1976 Oct 21, 2015 9:34 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Less expensive -- but more time-consuming -- ground transportation options here:

http://www.socaltransport.org/

Palal Oct 21, 2015 9:36 am

Be aware -- all of the above advise is subject to one caveat: even if you were to not leave the airport, you must be admissible to the US: either you must not need a visa to enter the US, or must have one. If you're British, you'll need an ESTA.

Originally Posted by AManInEivissa (Post 25594470)

Nux - flights were all booked through Delta for this but received an email a month or so ago saying it was being operated by Virgin. The joys of American airlines.

What does this have to do with US-based airlines (not to be confused with American Airlines)

guv1976 - I doubt it. I was debating on getting an Uber straight to the beach - having a nice walk and then finding a spot for a bite to eat. Renting a car may take up a bit too much time in that 8 or so hour window?
Renting/returning a car shouldn't take more than 15-20 mins on either end, depending on time of day and provider of course. Parking in Santa Monica may be another matter altogether.

Getting to Santa Monica - if you want to save money, Big Blue Bus route 3 goes where you want to go, though it'll take about an hour each way.

Enjoy!

jacknyoc Oct 21, 2015 11:52 am

LHR to LAX-GUA - able to explore LAX during stopover?

Uber and Lyft have been approved to operate at LAX. It should start anytime now. Check on status before your trip.

ajGoes Oct 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Palal (Post 25595921)
Renting/returning a car shouldn't take more than 15-20 mins on either end, depending on time of day and provider of course. Parking in Santa Monica may be another matter altogether.

Who do you rent from at LAX? I've had bad-to-rotten experiences at every one of the many agencies I've tried. Returns have all been smooth enough, but the pickup side routinely takes well over an hour from when I walk out of the terminal. The shuttle trip alone, not counting the wait for one to show up, is always at least fifteen minutes.

LondonElite Oct 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Renting a car would be mental, in my opinion. Get a cab to Santa Monica, have a few beers, don't worry about parking or the wait of renting/returning, and get a cab back to LAX.