Wiki Posts
Search

One Night in LA with Wife

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott, Amex
One Night in LA with Wife

Will be in LA with my wife on a Sunday night and all day Monday. First instinct is to stay in Beverly Hills within walking distance of Rodeo Drive. Aside from obvious shopping options, plenty of great restaurants in area as well.

Is this the best choice for one night? What other areas should we consider?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd stay near the beach, personally, but if the Rodeo experience is something your wife wants....

I'd consider places like Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach, maybe even Santa Monica or even Ventura. Consider visiting the Getty Museum in Malibu.

I used to live in LA, and BevHills/Rodeo don't even rate in my top ten places to visit in LA.

There is great dining all over the LA area.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by DTWNate
Is this the best choice for one night? What other areas should we consider?
Recommendations are going to vary based upon your interests, the type of shopping that are you planning to do and the kind of food that you like.

The shops on Rodeo Drive are dominated by very expensive high end designer boutiques.

Are you going to have a car?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
I'll second Doc Savage and add areas like Hermosa or Redondo Beach also in the South Bay. What time of year are you going to visit? Monday will be a work day for many so areas like Beverly Hills are going to be a bit busier with regular folks while areas like the beach will be relatively much more quiet. Especially if you have a car, I'd stay somewhere down by the beach, wake up in the morning, find a nice beach cafe or local restaurant, have a walk, then drive up into Beverly Hills if that's what you want to do.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'd stay near the beach, personally, but if the Rodeo experience is something your wife wants....

I'd consider places like Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach, maybe even Santa Monica or even Ventura. Consider visiting the Getty Museum in Malibu.

I used to live in LA, and BevHills/Rodeo don't even rate in my top ten places to visit in LA.

There is great dining all over the LA area.
This is the intel I was hoping for. Thanks for the +1 SWCPHX. I don't want to be the chump who saw Pretty Woman and figured he had to stay at the Beverly Wilshire...which is exactly the direction I was going. We do have a car (can't imagine not having one in LA) and like the beach idea. Water front hotel suggestions? Don't mind high end, but appreciate a good value as well. The closer proximity to South Gate...the better. I have a quick meeting there Monday morning. Your input is appreciated.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The closer proximity to South Gate...the better. I have a quick meeting there Monday morning. Your input is appreciated.
Nothing is close to South Gate.

Seriously, South Gate is not too far from the 105 Freeway; staying in Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach or Redondo Beach, will be most convenient and much more convenient to get to South Gate than from Beverly Hills.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Here is a listing of hotels near the beach in Santa Monica:

http://www.santamonica.com/where-to-stay/stay-pier/
http://www.santamonica.com/where-to-stay/stay-downtown/

In Manhattan Beach:

http://www.ci.manhattan-beach.ca.us/...anhattan-beach

Most of the larger hotels in Manhattan Beach are not right next to the ocean like Santa Monica so if you want to hear/see the ocean, you should stay at Santa Monica. But Manhattan Beach is a lot closer to South Gate for your business meeting.

I would not recommend staying further south than Manhattan Beach (e.g. Redondo Beach) because driving time to some tourist destinations (e.g. Rodeo Drive) becomes an issue. You only have 1 day so stay somewhere central.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shade Hotel in Manhattan Beach. ...hip hotel. ..tons of wonderful restaurants in walking distancE plus great shopping. The hotel is not on the beach however.
Have dinner at the Strand House...request view table and be sure to make reservations. I can't think of the name but there is a nice hotel on the beach in Hermosa if you want to walk out the door and be on the sand. Good restaurants in Hermosa too but way better in Manhattan and no shopping in Hermosa.
hotel in Hermosa is called the Beach House.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This is the intel I was hoping for. Thanks for the +1 SWCPHX. I don't want to be the chump who saw Pretty Woman and figured he had to stay at the Beverly Wilshire...which is exactly the direction I was going. We do have a car (can't imagine not having one in LA) and like the beach idea. Water front hotel suggestions? Don't mind high end, but appreciate a good value as well. The closer proximity to South Gate...the better. I have a quick meeting there Monday morning. Your input is appreciated.
What will your wife be doing while you're at your meeting? Is she going to stay at the hotel and unwind/spa? Or will she accompany you?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
What time are you flying out of LAX? If I'm leaving anytime near rush hour, I try to spend the late afternoon in Santa Monica or Venice Beach and take surface streets back to the airport to avoid the parking lot called the 405 freeway (or the 10, for that matter).

Venice Beach is fun as the ultimate example of LA craziness. Think of the scene in "LA Story" when Steve Martin is with his young GF and they get the "colon cleansing" at "Muscle Beach."

Grab some beach food there before your flight.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What time are you flying out of LAX? If I'm leaving anytime near rush hour, I try to spend the late afternoon in Santa Monica or Venice Beach and take surface streets back to the airport to avoid the parking lot called the 405 freeway (or the 10, for that matter).

Venice Beach is fun as the ultimate example of LA craziness. Think of the scene in "LA Story" when Steve Martin is with his young GF and they get the "colon cleansing" at "Muscle Beach."

Grab some beach food there before your flight.
Venice isn't what it was in LA Story. It's mostly pot "medical clinics" to get a script for weed.
And even surface streets from SM to LAX are a hot mess these days. Traffic wise he is better off coming from south of the airport...MB is a short commute.
He's from polar vortex Detroit---any place will seem like heaven.
But I do think MB has it all---tons of really good places to eat, boutiques and a few designer stores sprinkled in, the pier, the beach and can walk everywhere even at night. Could also drive up to Terreanea in Palos Verdes for some awesome views.

Hotel in Hermosa:
http://www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach/
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by corky
He's from polar vortex Detroit---any place will seem like heaven.

http://www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach/
Not South Gate, well warmer than Detroit but certainly not heaven, maybe just a warmer version of home.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Not South Gate, well warmer than Detroit but certainly not heaven, maybe just a warmer version of home.
Haha. ..perfect. south gate is Detroit west.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It seems like people here have got you pointed in the right direction already but I'll throw one more vote onto the pile for going with the beaches. When I needed to "sell" my wife on moving to LA several years ago I spent a whole day with her along the beach. Money was tight so we didn't need to stay in a hotel at the beach; we stayed by LAX where we P/Led a 4-star hotel for cheap and drove to the beach. She liked it, I took the job, and we moved. If I'd planned the weekend as the typical Hollywood-Beverly Hills scene you see in all the movies, she almost certainly would have refused. But it helps to know one's wife.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what the OP ended up doing but on behalf of LA, I feel an apology is warranted for the rain. It was lovely today although not beach weather but this downpour tonight sucks for you. I hope you are at the hotel in Hermosa with a fire in the fireplace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.