Help with Staples Hours and transit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA / TAM / Multiplus / Smiles / Hertz Gold
Help with Staples Hours and transit

Hi guys,

I need a little help !

We booked a Basketball game at Staples Center (Clippers x Orlando) in December 03th (we arrive in LA from Brazil this day).

The game begins 07:30 PM and our Hotel is Residence Inn LA Redondo Beach - 2420 Marine Ave.

The questions:

- What hours we have to arrive at Staples ? 7PM is a good hour ?

- What time we have to leave the hotel and don't get stuck at traffic ? (I think this is the most important thing)

- Car or public transportation from our hotel ? And if is car, I think it's better buy the parking tickets in advance, I'm right ?

Thank you so much !!

Flavio
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
I would plan on leaving between 5 and 5:30 from the hotel. If you arrive a little early in downtown, there's plenty to walk around and kill time at near Staples. If you're renting a car as part of your visit, then drive, I wouldn't rely on a taxi or car service at that hour of the afternoon/early evening.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by flaviocc
- What time we have to leave the hotel and don't get stuck at traffic ? (I think this is the most important thing)
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
I would plan on leaving between 5 and 5:30 from the hotel. If you arrive a little early in downtown, there's plenty to walk around and kill time at near Staples. If you're renting a car as part of your visit, then drive, I wouldn't rely on a taxi or car service at that hour of the afternoon/early evening.
OP, just to clarify, you will certainly be stuck in heavy, stop-and-go traffic during this drive. Google says it would take 21 minutes without traffic (a condition that almost never exists). Leaving at 5 PM will give you ample time to crawl towards downtown LA on your choice of thoroughly clogged freeways. If you have a traffic-aware GPS, you should check current conditions to pick the less bad of the two logical routes.

On the bright side, you'll be going the opposite direction of the heaviest traffic. This route will be busy your way, too, but probably less than the other way.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys.

Yes, we'll rent a car (big road trip).

ok - car is the best option.

Before the game begins, which usually happens on stadium? Pre warming for the game ?

We'll use the GPS (waze or co-pilot) to choose the best route.

Thank you for the Google Maps.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:11 am

And if is car, I think it's better buy the parking tickets in advance, I'm right ?
No, don't get parking in advance. There is plenty of parking outside of Staples Center. It is usually only around $20 right across the street. You could find cheaper ones further away if you are willing to walk. But beware of the ones that tried to scam newbies. They will be like $35 and really far away... the guy in front will have signs saying event parking and with a flag waving you in like you are supposed to obey him.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:37 am
Original Poster

@Need,

thank you ! In advance (via AXS site) is U$ 25,00....if I find cheaper it's better.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ajGoes
OP, just to clarify, you will certainly be stuck in heavy, stop-and-go traffic during this drive. Google says it would take 21 minutes without traffic (a condition that almost never exists). Leaving at 5 PM will give you ample time to crawl towards downtown LA on your choice of thoroughly clogged freeways. If you have a traffic-aware GPS, you should check current conditions to pick the less bad of the two logical routes.

On the bright side, you'll be going the opposite direction of the heaviest traffic. This route will be busy your way, too, but probably less than the other way.

Additional info...

If you are renting a car for your visit, make sure it has a Fastrak transponder. If you rent from a major company (e.g. Hertz, Avis, Enterprise etc) your rental car probably has the transponder. But make sure it is there on the windshield before you drive off.

From Redondo Beach, you can use the Express toll lane and reach Downtown LA in about 35 minutes in rush hour. If you use the regular lanes on the 105 and 110 freeway, it will take you at least 90 minutes.

https://www.metroexpresslanes.net/en/home/index.shtml
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
Additional info...

If you are renting a car for your visit, make sure it has a Fastrak transponder. If you rent from a major company (e.g. Hertz, Avis, Enterprise etc) your rental car probably has the transponder. But make sure it is there on the windshield before you drive off.

From Redondo Beach, you can use the Express toll lane and reach Downtown LA in about 35 minutes in rush hour. If you use the regular lanes on the 105 and 110 freeway, it will take you at least 90 minutes.

Ah, that's information I might have shared with OP had I known about it! I guess that explains the mysterious glowing thing mounted to the windshield of the last car I rented at LAX.

How do car rental companies generally charge for this? My guess is "ginormous markup", but I could be wrong.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Ah, that's information I might have shared with OP had I known about it! I guess that explains the mysterious glowing thing mounted to the windshield of the last car I rented at LAX.

How do car rental companies generally charge for this? My guess is "ginormous markup", but I could be wrong.
It shows up on the credit card you used to rent the car a month later. Although if you are 3 people in the car, the charge is usually $0.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Additional info...

Thank you so much for that info.

The company is Hertz. And if the car miss the transponder ? Just ask to give me one ?

Thank you, very useful information.^
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:19 pm

Thank you so much for that info.

The company is Hertz. And if the car miss the transponder ? Just ask to give me one ?

Thank you, very useful information.^
All the cars based at Hertz LAX should have the transponder already but someone may have done a one-way rental and return a non-LAX car (e.g. from Las Vegas), which will not have the transponder. If you get one without transponder, just ask them to switch the car for you.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

All the cars based at Hertz LAX should have the transponder already but someone may have done a one-way rental and return a non-LAX car (e.g. from Las Vegas), which will not have the transponder. If you get one without transponder, just ask them to switch the car for you.
^

Thanks.

One more noob question....LOL....the exit is the same for entry: the ------- line ?

EDIT: whe are 3 people (couple + daughter)

AND OT: this is a good match ? Clippers x Orlando ....I never saw (only in TV) a NBA game....I think it's a great experience.

Tks.

Last edited by flaviocc; Sep 11, 2014 at 8:40 am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:57 am

^

Thanks.

One more noob question....LOL....the exit is the same for entry: the ------- line ?

EDIT: whe are 3 people (couple + daughter)

AND OT: this is a good match ? Clippers x Orlando ....I never saw (only in TV) a NBA game....I think it's a great experience.

Tks.
Exit? You mean at Staples Center? You can enter and exit any door you want at Staples Center.

3 people = most likely you can use the Express Lane for free (or very cheap like $0.50).

The game will be fun experience for your entire family. Clippers will be a good team this year and you should have a good time.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Exit? You mean at Staples Center? You can enter and exit any door you want at Staples Center.

3 people = most likely you can use the Express Lane for free (or very cheap like $0.50).

The game will be fun experience for your entire family. Clippers will be a good team this year and you should have a good time.
Sorry...

I mean exit from Express Lane is the same dashed line used for entry, correct ?

I remember 2 yrs ago, first time driving in MIA back from Orlando and I didn't know where is permitted to exit the express lane....

Thank you.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:04 pm

Sorry...

I mean exit from Express Lane is the same dashed line used for entry, correct ?

I remember 2 yrs ago, first time driving in MIA back from Orlando and I didn't know where is permitted to exit the express lane....

Thank you.
You aren't allowed to cross solid double lane separator lines. When you can enter and exit the express lane, the solid double line changes to a single, dashed line:

Here's a link to the page from which I copied that image. It explains the whole system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.