Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Construction of an airside multilevel connector AA Terminal 4 <----> Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) is underway. According to the schedule, completion is targeted for early 2016.

Key components of the project include:
  • A new, behind-the-scene, In-Line Checked-Baggage-Inspection System facility to house new explosive- detection systems. This will enhance security and free up lobby space in T-4 to reduce passenger congestion in the ticketing lobby.

• Secure Passenger Connector between T-4 and TBIT allowing screened domestic passengers to transition between both buildings in both directions without the need for rescreening. (Sic)

• Additional Security Screening Checkpoints for arriving international travelers, who have cleared federal immigration and customs inspection and need to catch connecting flights at Terminals 4, 5 6, 7, and 8 on the south side of the LAX Central Terminal Area.

• A new South Terminals Passenger Bus Port for travel between TBIT and Terminals 5 through 8.

• Upper Level World Way Plaza with open and landscaped areas and public seating will replace the open plaza currently on the Lower/ Arrivals Level between TBIT and T-4. Part of the new facility also will be built in this area.

• A temporary South Interline Baggage Transfer Facility to facilitate checked-bags between TBIT and Terminals 4 through 8 during construction of the new connector building.
LAWA news release 18 Mar 2013
Currently the only airside T-4 - TBIT connection is an afternoon airside shuttle bus from T-4 taking only departing Qantas passengers to their flights at TBIT. A boarding pass for one of those Qantas flights is required to board the shuttle bus; operating hours are 1600 and 2330.
American Airlines will get preferential access to four TBIT gates for international operations.

Related:

Link to LAWA / LAX airport official website

Link to LAWA newsletter re: connector and new TBIT gates

Link to LAWA project description downloadable PDF

See FT AA thread How/Where to get Short Connection Special Treatment at LAX TBIT?

Print Wikipost

TBIT-T4 connector

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:32 am

Also just to be clear the new connector is only between TBIT and T4, the connectors between T4 through to T8 are the existing underground tunnels.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Also just to be clear the new connector is only between TBIT and T4, the connectors between T4 through to T8 are the existing underground tunnels.
Underground tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and departure level passageways between terminals 6 and 7. What used to be called Terminal 8 is now a concourse of Terminal 7.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:45 am

Can anyone verify that the TBIT to T7 connectors are all currently open? Flying out of TBIT, but only open *A lounge is in T7.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by downinit
Can anyone verify that the TBIT to T7 connectors are all currently open? Flying out of TBIT, but only open *A lounge is in T7.
Last time I was there was about 6 weeks ago and the T6 tunnel out to baggage claim & the curb was closed, probably to reduce the number of TSA guarding the exits, but IIRC, the tunnel to T5 was open. If nobody with more detailed information posts, you could try messaging LAX on their facebook page - you're probably not the only person with that question. The upper level airside route T6 to T7 is open
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Given how light person traffic is at LAX, it might be easier to simply exit security and either walk the half horseshoe to T7 or grab the connector bus. You'll have already cleared customs so going out to unsterile won't affect you and you'll actually get outside at LAX, which usually is fine.

David
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Given how light person traffic is at LAX, it might be easier to simply exit security and either walk the half horseshoe to T7 or grab the connector bus. You'll have already cleared customs so going out to unsterile won't affect you and you'll actually get outside at LAX, which usually is fine.
David
I am definitely planning on going from TBIT to T7 on the sidewalk, after checking in for my flight (travel starts at LAX). However, I would prefer to stay airside after clearing security at T7. I will only have a light carry-on and I don't mind taking the winding route if it means less hassle. I have always avoided security at TBIT due to the lack of Clear and until recently, lack of pre-check.

According to the LAWA Twitter team, the connectors are all open.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always avoided security at TBIT due to the lack of Clear and until recently, lack of pre-check.
Clear and Pre-check are definitely worth it right now, especially if you're already planning to go to T7. I've found the airport reasonable for maintaining separation once you're airside, but at least at T6, the way they combined the pre-check and regular lines before the ID check the last time I was there tends to push people close together.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:02 pm

Just to confirm, no issues taking the airside connectors. LAX was completely dead...I think half the people in the entire airport were on my flight to IST. The UA lounge was also dead, with two other customers and one bartender, doing double duty as cleaner. Definitely worth the journey to T7 for some apertif...I barely remember most of the flight, but I slept really well
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Just to confirm, no issues taking the airside connectors. LAX was completely dead...I think half the people in the entire airport were on my flight to IST. The UA lounge was also dead, with two other customers and one bartender, doing double duty as cleaner. Definitely worth the journey to T7 for some apertif...I barely remember most of the flight, but I slept really well
Glad it worked. Did you happen to see how busy the TBIT security area was? (i.e. Would it have taken long to go through security there as well?)

David
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Another report: on August 22, I checked in for my QR flight at TBIT, then walked outside and cleared security at T4 -- the escalator to the pre-check area was blocked off, but once upstairs at the main security area I was able to walk over to the pre-check area, which was operating normally. Once at T4 I was able to access the AC and then use the airside connection to TBIT when it was time to board my flight.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Glad it worked. Did you happen to see how busy the TBIT security area was? (i.e. Would it have taken long to go through security there as well?)

David
I did not notice anyone at all waiting in line at TBIT when I passed, but I was not really paying attention. It seemed like my flight was the only one with a large number of people, but they all would have cleared security much earlier since I was going to the gate from the lounge right before boarding. The entire departure hall was a ghost town, as was most of TBIT.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I did not notice anyone at all waiting in line at TBIT when I passed, but I was not really paying attention. It seemed like my flight was the only one with a large number of people, but they all would have cleared security much earlier since I was going to the gate from the lounge right before boarding. The entire departure hall was a ghost town, as was most of TBIT.
Consistent with my experience as well. While I did not observe the situation at TBIT security, the terminal was dead when I walked through to board my flight. Note, however, that checking in can take much longer than normal, depending on airline and destination, of course. The agents need to carefully check to confirm that each passenger is eligible to fly to their final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.