LA to Anaheim for a hockey game

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LA to Anaheim for a hockey game

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

I'm not so much worried about the cost of getting to / from Anaheim. Just the most convenient way.

I will enjoy a beer at the game and that alone rules out renting a vehicle.

We may take a taxi earlier in the afternoon, try to avoid the worst of the traffic and just spend a bit more pre-game time in Anaheim.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If staying near LAX, it doesn't have to be a horrible, 2-hour drive.

With 4 people, the OP has access to HOV lanes on the 105, 605, and 91 freeways (I'd avoid the 405/22 or 105/605/5 options).

For a 7pm puck drop, perhaps leaving mid-afternoon and heading out towards Anaheim is not a bad idea. Time for leisurely dinner without the traffic stress might be OK.

After the game, it'll be late enough that there shouldn't be any traffic back to the LAX area.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
For pre-game food and drink, I give a big ^ to JT Schmid's. It's basically across the street from the Honda Center.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:52 am

Train

For the love of god, take the train to the game. You don't want to be driving from LA to Anaheim on a Friday afternoon. (http://ducks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=57735)

Take the train to the game. If you get out early enough, you can take the train back. If not, you can take a cab back. Either way, you don't want to take a car to the game, even if you aren't the one driving.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sk8uno
Take the train to the game. If you get out early enough, you can take the train back. If not, you can take a cab back. Either way, you don't want to take a car to the game, even if you aren't the one driving.
if he ends up staying near downtown, this makes the most sense.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Seems like the consensus is train to the game and cab back.

Cheers
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SurveyHand
Seems like the consensus is train to the game and cab back.
in theory anyway. does anyone know if cabs are available outside the stadium after a game? i don't recall ever seeing any, but i'm never looking for one.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Generally there are. Of course going back to Los Angeles in a cab will cost a pretty penny. However the last northbound train is around 11, so it shouldn't be a problem. Allow about 20-30 minutes for the walk.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Would it not be easier to arrange a driver to take us back to LA after the game so we know he will be waiting. Or for that matter, arrange a driver to take us there and then pick us up after the game.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
It could be costly, but you could try an Uber or Lyft for the trip and save something. You're looking at about $80 for UberX (independent contractor vehicles) or $120 for regular Uber (the black car service which uses licensed car services). Split amongst four people it may not be so bad.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Calwatch, that's sounds like it would be ideal, and split 4 ways wouldn't be too bad at all price-wise.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Splitting a taxi or private car service among 4 makes it a lot more tolerable.
I don't think the train would be a problem - a 7 pm game would rarely run later than 10, even with OT and a shootout. Many 7 pm games will end by 9:35 or 9:40 pm.

You might even call a limo service in the LA area and lay out your plans and get a quote. Many such services do things well beyond the typical airport pick up or drop off and are more than willing to be waiting for you when the game ends. You might even arrange for them to drive you around Friday to see some things not convenient to your hotel, then take you to the game and return when it ends.

I love trains and transit, but with several people the equation changes greatly.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Makfan, that's what we figured.

Good suggestion about maybe taking a personal ride around before the game as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.