The Proud Bird Restaurant has Reopened as a Food Bazaar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
The Proud Bird Is a High-Flying Food Hall With Aviation Views

The Proud Bird is back and brighter than ever, featuring an airy new setup complete with floating planes overhead, a casual food lineup, and lots of room to watch the comings and goings of the airport nearby.

<snip>

Bellwether chef Ted Hopson and business partner Ann-Marie Verdi consulted on the menu, which is offered out to the public via a series of six small stations. There’s one for rotating Asian food, another for Italian, a third for standard American fare, and so on — plus a stop at Bludso’s BBQ, a stand all its own, serving barbecue now that the Compton location has closed up shop. Diners pay a la carte for their meals during lunch and dinner, but weekend brunch means all-you-can-eat fare at $30 a head.

<snip>
Print Wikipost

The Proud Bird Restaurant has Reopened as a Food Bazaar

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Hadn't seen this until now, will be relaxing there for brunch in a few weeks!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:59 pm

Proud Bird restaurant near LAX

I have a trip to LAX in two weeks and just learned of the Proud Bird restaurant. What are peoples experiences and thoughts on this place. I am told its great for watching planes. is there a better time of day to see big aircraft landing?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:30 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to Flyer Talk's dedicated forum on Los Angeles for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by gubulldogfan
I have a trip to LAX in two weeks and just learned of the Proud Bird restaurant. What are peoples experiences and thoughts on this place. I am told its great for watching planes. is there a better time of day to see big aircraft landing?
My view is you go there for the plane watching and cocktails. The place is a bit dowdy and the food mediocre.

As to the big aircraft, anecdotally it seems to me the largest planes tend to land on the northern runway complex more often (the restaurant sits on the southern runway path). But you will see plenty of action no matter what time of the day you are there.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:05 am

There's a sunset special between 430pm and 6pm - or something like that. It includes a good cut of prime rib, veggies, salad and dessert for something like $21. You can't beat it.

Sit by the giant floor-to-ceiling windows and put on the headsets and listen to the tower as you watch the planes land on the southern runway.

Browse the hundreds and hundreds of photos, old newspaper articles, and artifacts from the earlier days of aviation in the hallways and function rooms.

We were there two months ago, and saw everything from props landing to a lumbering A-380 in the distance on its glide path to the northern runway.

The place may have seen better days, but it is a wonderful resource and a great experience for those who still harbor the romance of flight. Check it out.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
LA Times - L.A.'s next big food hall is being built right next to LAX
Excerpts

The Proud Bird, the aviation-themed restaurant with a view of the LAX runways, is about to transform into Los Angeles' next big food hall. The restaurant, which has been open since 1967, will start 10 months of renovations on Feb. 1.

The 50,000-square-foot space will include a variety of food and beverage kiosks, in addition to an area devoted to food from the Proud Bird.

<snip>

Those who loved watching the planes take off and land while they ate at that restaurant will be happy to learn the new food hall will feature floor-to-ceiling windows that offer a panoramic view of the runways.

<snip>
Los Angeles Magazine - LAX-Adjacent Restaurant The Proud Bird Is Turning into a Food Hall
Excerpt

While vendors have yet to be named, according to the press release, the plan is to feature “diverse artisanal cuisine, paying homage to the cultural melting pot that is Los Angeles.” The Proud Bird’s food will still be served, so the menu—and, fingers crossed, the restaurant’s famous Sunday Brunch—will live on. There will also be a bar.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
On encountering this article in latimes.com, I thought, "Outstanding fit for travelers!" But see that it's not that convenient, even to us who stay at the airport, to walk. But after picking up or before dropping off the rental car on the way in and out ... Hmmm. How do those familiar think the parking will be? I realize that a lot goes into such speculation. Thank you.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Firewind
On encountering this article in latimes.com, I thought, "Outstanding fit for travelers!" But see that it's not that convenient, even to us who stay at the airport, to walk. But after picking up or before dropping off the rental car on the way in and out ... Hmmm. How do those familiar think the parking will be? I realize that a lot goes into such speculation. Thank you.
Decent amount of parking now, but hard to say with expansion. Of course I enjoy the walk under the final approach
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you, kirkwoodj. I walk up to the Taco Bell from the Hyatt and the Sheraton to get the cobwebs out, but this looks a good bit further. Maybe not that far at all from the Westin? Hard to tell on the map. No need for an answer. A worthy quest.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Firewind
Thank you, kirkwoodj. I walk up to the Taco Bell from the Hyatt and the Sheraton to get the cobwebs out, but this looks a good bit further. Maybe not that far at all from the Westin? Hard to tell on the map. No need for an answer. A worthy quest.
The Proud Bird is just under a mile's walk from both the Westin and the Hilton. AFAIK, it's frequented mostly by locals.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:08 pm

Thank you, TWA884.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
The Proud Bird is just under a mile's walk from both the Westin and the Hilton. AFAIK, it's frequented mostly by locals.
It's that far and it's not on streets designed for pedestrian traffic.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
It's that far and it's not on streets designed for pedestrian traffic.
Yes. The sidewalk isn't paved, but dirt, so dragging a rollaboard carryon may not be so fun, but if you're carrying a backpack, it's probably not too bad.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:05 am

Thanks. So...

1) Rental car. 2) Walk unencumbered. 3) If that's not reasonable, back to the Taco Bell or one of the store-front places across Century from it. For now, it's all good. But once it returns to glory, then the quest becomes earnest.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Proud Bird to Become a Food Hall; Closing Feb 1 for 10 mos of renovations

How timely, I came to this forum to start a new thread, but I suppose this is a good a spot as any...

http://laist.com/2016/01/15/proud_bird_lax_remodel.php

A huge food hall with panoramic views of the LAX runways will take over a historic restaurant next year.

The Proud Bird, the aviation-themed restaurant by the airport, will transform over the coming year into a massive hall with food vendors, bars and more, according to a release from the restaurant. In addition to a variety of food and beverage kiosks, the 50,000-square-foot space will also include a spot dedicated to the historic restaurant, which has operated there since 1967.
Wiki added; could use help filling out other info (like lease arrangement, etc.)
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.