Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Proud Bird Restaurant has Reopened as a Food Bazaar

Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
The Proud Bird Is a High-Flying Food Hall With Aviation Views

The Proud Bird is back and brighter than ever, featuring an airy new setup complete with floating planes overhead, a casual food lineup, and lots of room to watch the comings and goings of the airport nearby.

<snip>

Bellwether chef Ted Hopson and business partner Ann-Marie Verdi consulted on the menu, which is offered out to the public via a series of six small stations. There’s one for rotating Asian food, another for Italian, a third for standard American fare, and so on — plus a stop at Bludso’s BBQ, a stand all its own, serving barbecue now that the Compton location has closed up shop. Diners pay a la carte for their meals during lunch and dinner, but weekend brunch means all-you-can-eat fare at $30 a head.

<snip>
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold

Not sure if the AA forum is the best place for this - but since many a AA travelers are fond of the Proud Bird Restaurant, I thought i'd post it here -

Announced today - The Proud Bird at LAX is closing - Many, if not most of us have flown right over it while landing at LAX.....

http://www.dailynews.com/business/20...plans-to-close

It's a sad day....
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by jcooper90
Not sure if the AA forum is the best place for this - but since many a AA travelers are fond of the Proud Bird Restaurant, I thought i'd post it here -

Announced today - The Proud Bird at LAX is closing - Many, if not most of us have flown right over it while landing at LAX.....

http://www.dailynews.com/business/20...plans-to-close

It's a sad day....
Rent issues...
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold
Apparently no discount for being directly under the flight path.......
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
A sad day, indeed.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jcooper90
Apparently no discount for being directly under the flight path.......
Was the bird too proud to negotiate?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moved to the Los Angeles Forum for broader exposure and discussion, with a permanent redirect for those searching the American AAdvantage Forum for the Proud Bird Restaurant.

JDiver
senior moderator

LAWA is raising the rent to "market rate" and the owner has decided they can't afford that. After 48 years of life, RIP. Same as 94th Aero Squadron at SJC (though one of these remains on Balboa Ave. in San Diego).

http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-n...plans-to-close

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 9, 2019 at 6:06 pm Reason: Update 94th Aero Squadron info
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bummer. need to stop by one last time before they close...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Very sad day, as a pilot I love this place. I'll have to get back there before they close.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:09 pm
Suspended

This is horrible news and I won't be in LA in November. What will happen to the planes?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:11 pm
Suspended

We should protest by bringing dry ice......
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
The planes will go to museums.
more details on the closing here: Proud-bird-parent-company-president-details-demise-of-the-iconic-restaurant

I guess my upcoming visit there on the 13th will be my last.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
WOW...headed here tomorrow (11/18) and will be sad to have it be the "last supper" at this iconic location...
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:47 am

Some photos http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-p...#axzz2kzsBwg7s
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Was the bird too proud to negotiate?
Articles say they wanted to continue their current $200,000 yearly lease, but that the airport authority, citing law requiring them to charge market price, said the new lease would have to be $500,000.

Has it been doing good business in the last few years? Not the best location to attract customers driving by. Most LAX passengers probably don't know it exists. To get there from the terminals, you'd need to take a taxi or bus or a really long walk.

Hope the photos and texts on the walls can somehow be saved. I don't know what other business would go there. Mainly industrial. Guess we'll have to stick to the Encounter inside LAX.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by SoCal
Articles say they wanted to continue their current $200,000 yearly lease, but that the airport authority, citing law requiring them to charge market price, said the new lease would have to be $500,000.

Has it been doing good business in the last few years? Not the best location to attract customers driving by. Most LAX passengers probably don't know it exists. To get there from the terminals, you'd need to take a taxi or bus or a really long walk.

Hope the photos and texts on the walls can somehow be saved. I don't know what other business would go there. Mainly industrial. Guess we'll have to stick to the Encounter inside LAX.
That's too bad. $200k to $500k is a very big jump.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.