Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Rentals - Need Assistance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
LAX Rentals - Need Assistance

Thanks FTers.. I've learned lots and hopefully have contributed positively..

I'm having a bit of challenge booking a rental vehicle out of LAX as everything seems exhorbitant..

I've tried many angles.. and seems that I'm on the cusp of the breakthrough.. but am a little bit discouraged trying to rent a minivan out of LAX as everything seems to be a $100 per day and up..

I've tried the Costco Executive Membership quotes, signed up for Hertz #1 gold (with American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum card), phoned up Alamo who I usually have success with, phoned up Budget.. Tried hotwire..

and seems everything is still $1,300 to rent for 11 nights..

Dates I'm interested in is July 27th to August 7th returning around noon..

I'm asking FT experts to crack this nut open.. and hoping for a minivan after the nut is cracked!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Take a cab to the Avis off-airport at 5560 W. Manchester (Avis location QL9)

Reserve online using AWD A0748000

Total for a Dodge Caravan Minivan $608.21
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Take a cab to the Avis off-airport at 5560 W. Manchester (Avis location QL9)

Reserve online using AWD A0748000

Total for a Dodge Caravan Minivan $608.21
Awesome.. looked it up and made the reservation.. thanks Cblaisd

How long of a cab ride to the Avis off airport location? I have my 5 year old son, 1 year old son, and probably 11 pieces of luggages, car seats etc.

A $100 or $150 more I would consider getting a van directly at LAX for the convenience.. dragging the entire family in a cab might be a bit of a drag.. I guess I could leave and come back and pick them up at the airport?

How's your experience with kids and all.. going offsite for rental vehicles?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Yes, that's a hassle. But at LAX you're going to have a hassle no matter what, since it's a rental car van ride to the "on-airport" [sic] facilities.

If I were doing this trip, I'd be tempted to spend the first day/night at the Holiday Inn Express (which gets good reviews) a few blocks down the street. Take their shuttle to the hotel, then walk and pick up the van.

The savings are often very dramatic using an off-airport venue instead of on-.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes, that's a hassle. But at LAX you're going to have a hassle no matter what, since it's a rental car van ride to the "on-airport" [sic] facilities. Iirc, the W. Manchester Avis agency is actually closer to LAX than the "airport" facility itself (LA residents will correct me )

If I were doing this trip, I'd be tempted to spend the first day/night at the Holiday Inn Express (which gets good reviews) a few blocks down the street. Take their shuttle to the hotel, then walk and pick up the van.
Double awesome again.. you mean that there is a van shuttle to the offsite facility..

I'm starting to like this secret..

Do you just call them up and they pick you up.. or do they have a stop outside one of the many terminals.. Great Business Plan Avis.^

I've got lined up 5 free Fairmont Hotel nights out of the 11 we're staying around SoCal..

Stayed in HIX 4 free nights in HOU using Priority Club Points Breaks.. this past spring break.. got a suite category too complimentary.. So HIX has been tried by our family..
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:51 am

Many, though not all, off-airport locations (often franchises, I think) of various rental car companies (not just Avis) will pick you up within a certain range (e.g., 5 miles), but normally NOT from an airport (violates the company's agreement with the airport rental facility). The rental conmpany vans that regularly go by the terminals are for the airport rental facilities. So if you want to use that off-airport rental facility, you'll likely need to take a taxi or at least first go to an off-airport location. Call the rental facility to confirm their rules. Google Maps shows the distance from the airport to the rental place as just under 3 miles. http://la.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en estimates the taxi fare at $12.86, including the airport surcharge. I doubt you'd fit a family and 11 pieces of luggage in a regular taxi, so you may have to use one of the larger vehicles (e.g., station wagon) or use two taxis or you could go get the car and then pick up your family and bags back at the airport.

I've used off-airport rentals at times; sometimes they save you money and sometimes they don't. Some have limitations on one-way rentals and even locations to which you can go (in terms of states). And once I had an off-airport franchise of Budget insist I go to a car wash or pay them $25 to clean the car since if the car were dirty it violated the terms of bringing the car back in its original condition (pure b.s., but I didn't have time to dispute it).

Off-airport rental facilities are normally much smaller than those at the airport, and will have a smaller selection of vehicles, but if you can live with that, they can work out well. You are, of course, likely not guaranteed a particular make or model of vehicle (usually says "or equivalent"), so you may or may not get a Caravan, but that also applies to on-airport locations.

Just for future reference: I've used discount codes from AARP and several airline frequent flyer programs (never been asked to produce proof of membership in a ff program, but was once asked to show my AARP card). One friend said he got a super rate for a San Jose-San Diego rental by using Southwest Airlines's car rental feature. And both Priceline and Hotwire have car rental features. On Priceline you can even bid.

Last edited by SoCal; Jun 13, 2011 at 8:03 am
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:58 pm

If I were you ...

Given the amount of luggage you have, I would call PrimeTime Shuttle and see if they will give you some kind of deal just to run all of you and the luggage over to the rental place. They have vans just sitting in a holding lot at LAX waiting for passengers. My guess is that they would be happy for the business and the van would have plenty of room for the luggage. They are at http://primetimeshuttle.com or 1-800-RED-VANS
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up guys..

Talking to my wife.. she's considering getting off of the .. I really want my minivan.. scenario..

We have early flight out when we leave SoCal.. calling a cab 4 am in the morning to get a ride to the airport, even if I drop them off at the airport first.. just doesn't sound right with a young family.. even if I end up saving mucho denaro..

Any ideas of family of 4 with 11 pieces of luggage.. rental vehicles out of LAX?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:19 pm

You're still going to have the huge hassle of moving that many people and baggage via the "on-airport" [sic] rental van -- which will also likely be very crowded.

I don't get why you're insisting on an "on-airport" rental when there really is no such thing at LAX. Spring $20 for a mini-van taxi (or use the excellent Shuttle idea above) and go in much more comfort to a rental facility that's not that much more distant than the one the on-airport [sic] crowded van would take you to.

Turn the car in the night before and get the cab or hotel shuttle to the airport upon departure.

So much less hassle istm.

If you're insistent, I've often found that renting the car from an off-airport franchise and returning it to the on-airport one doesn't cost any extra -- and that way you can schlep your family and luggage from the car rental facility, onto the van, and to the terminal. Why is that somehow more "right" than calling a cab?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You're still going to have the huge hassle of moving that many people and baggage via the "on-airport" [sic] rental van -- which will also likely be very crowded.

I don't get why you're insisting on an "on-airport" rental when there really is no such thing at LAX. Spring $20 for a mini-van taxi (or use the excellent Shuttle idea above) and go in much more comfort to a rental facility that's not that much more distant than the one the on-airport [sic] crowded van would take you to.

Turn the car in the night before and get the cab or hotel shuttle to the airport upon departure.

So much less hassle istm.

If you're insistent, I've often found that renting the car from an off-airport franchise and returning it to the on-airport one doesn't cost any extra -- and that way you can schlep your family and luggage from the car rental facility, onto the van, and to the terminal. Why is that somehow more "right" than calling a cab?
Definitely thinking long and hard about it..

We'll be returning 4 am in the morning.. So that's the barrier I'm coming up against..

$600 for the van rental.. if that gets us into a good deal at LAX.. and then my wife left it at that..

I mentioned I can go get the rental vehicle and pick them up at the terminal.. and drop them off at the terminal, return the vehicle and get a cab back..

Not use to riding in cabs.. but definitely open to the idea..
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:09 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Definitely thinking long and hard about it..

We'll be returning 4 am in the morning.. So that's the barrier I'm coming up against....
Only the on-airport location is open 24 hours at LAX. All the off-airport locations are considered to be "neighbourhood" and have daytime only hours (typically 7am to 6pm at best). So you'll have to return the day before, by closing time, or rent on-airport (and pay an extra $500 or so for the rental). The Avis Manchester location suggested has hours as I described http://www.avis.com/car-rental/locat...CATIONCODE=Q9L

Presumably your reservation with them reflects those hours
If you really need a car until 4am, you could do a 2nd rental, returning the previous day at any location, and 2nd rental for 1 day dropping at LAX. Will cost maybe $100 more but gives you that capability. Taxi would be cheaper, most likely.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:45 am

Sounds like your options are a) rent off-airport and return on-airport (check with the rental company to see if you can); b) rent on-airport. Not sure if there's a minimum charge for renting an entire shuttle van. While they may be glad for the business, sometimes options are built-in and getting a cheap price for a short haul may not be one of them. Worth a shot.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Only the on-airport location is open 24 hours at LAX. All the off-airport locations are considered to be "neighbourhood" and have daytime only hours (typically 7am to 6pm at best).
While, of course, very true, most of the Avis "neighborhood locations" do allow un-attended drop-offs; this one says to call (which in my experience means that they will allow it but will put you on notice that rental period doesn't actually end until they check the car in). So, it's possible that the OP could indeed return there.

But I'm still not understand the op's aversion to cabs. Given the massive savings involved (not to mention the convenience!) even paying for 3 or 4 $20 cab rides would be well worth it.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:44 am

How much do you think you can end up saving from all this shuffling to off-airport rentals? If it's only $100, it may not be worth the hassle. If it were me alone with a backpack, sure. Family of 4 with 11 pieces of luggage? Maybe you're better off making your trip easier for the whole family.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:06 am

Per the op's cost of an "on-airport" rental, the cost difference is $5-700.

And re "shuffling," given that the on-airport rental places aren't on-airport and involve a van/bus ride, "shuffling" is inevitable. Particularly given the op's load of people and their stuff, having a cab help shuffle and take door-to-door would be very helpful.

If the car rentals were a walk across the street, it might be different, but I continue to think the best plan might be a) take family and luggage via cab to the Avis off-airport outlet; b) the night before the flight, take family to hotel and check-in, c) take care back to LAX (assuming no drop-charge), d) take Avis van back to airport (or to hotel - I know that Hertz has a shuttle both to the airport and to the near-airport hotels), e) take hotel shuttle back to hotel, f) have cab take family and stuff to airport on day of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.