Biking to LAX?

Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Biking to LAX?

This weekend I'll be taking a quick trip with no more than a small backpack, and am thinking about heading to the airport by bicycle (starting from the Pasadena area). Has anyone else done this? Can you just approach via Century Blvd, head up the ramp to the departures loop, and lock the bike up somewhere in the parking garage? I'll be leaving from Terminal 4.

Unfortunately a Google search didn't turn up much info, just a couple pages from a few years ago without many specifics.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I have biked to LAX many times. I usually approach from the beach area: Ballona Creek bike path to the beach, then up Westchester Parkway to In-N-Out Burgers, and then Sepulveda to 96th Street (the continuation of Century Blvd on the lower level entrance). There is a bike rack right outside the arrival level of Terminal 1. Security doesn't seem to be an issue as there are plenty of bikes parked there every time I go; and of course the Airport Police stands right there by the vehicle entrace. It does appears that many other people do the same... bike to LAX for quick short trips without luggage.

I have no idea what kind of bicyclists you are but I will assume you are moderately intrepid... meaning you can confidently negotiate shared lane on less busy streets and have no problem riding on busy roads with marked bike lane. If you are starting from Pasadena, I suggest the following routing:

Take the Gold line from Old Town (you can bring your bike on Metro on weekends) to Downtown LA Union Station

From Union Station, take Broadway or Spring St to Venice

Take Venice (which has a bike lane) to Overland

Take Overland to Ballona Creek bike path

Take Ballona Creek bike path to Lincoln Blvd near Playa Vista

Take Lincoln (which has a bike lane, although be aware of steep grade) to Layola Blvd and then onto Westchester (which has a bike lane)

Eat something at In-N-Out for making it all the way there

Take Sepulveda to 96th lower level approach to Terminal 1 (don't go up the departure ramp)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=15&lci=bike

Edit: Note that some mapping service will tell you to take Ballona Creek bike path from Downtown Culver City instead from Overland. Don't do that... the Ballona Creek bike path near Downtown Culver City is closed right now due to Expo line construction. Follow the route I highlighted for you and it will be open 100% all the way this weekend.

Last edited by bzcat; Jan 24, 2011 at 7:05 pm
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Great response, thanks! ^

My flight is actually Friday morning (around 10:30) so the Gold Line may be off limits to bikes when I leave; however the ride from my house to downtown is fairly short (and mostly downhill).

Now to figure out how to take a shower at LAX so I don't stink up the plane
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'd probably enter the garage at the arrivals (lower) level, rather than going up the ramp.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
If you go all the way to Lincoln are you going to far ?

can you get off the bike path at Sepulveda and head to the Airport thru Downtown Westchester , and still end up at In and Out ?

Lincoln is 2-3 miles farther down the creek , but also longer back up to the In and Out intersection,

Rally

who has only driven to the Airport .....
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:50 pm

Sepulveda has no bike lane in Culver City and cars move a lot faster so safety becomes an issue. You also have to deal with the underpass to 405 freeway. But it is shorter distance wise and probably only suitable for people who are fearless about negotiating the same traffic lane as crazy drivers.

Lincoln has bike lane from the creek to Manchester. And Westchester Parkway has practically no traffic. It's a safer route for bicyclists of moderate ability.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:08 am
Original Poster

When my alarm went off at 5:30 this morning I thought "this is stupid, no way am I cycling all the way to LAX at this ungodly hour." But after another half hour or so I reconsidered. Door-to-In'n'Out time was 1 hour 40 minutes. Not bad at all for a rush-hour trip from south Pasadena to LAX. Biking around the Arrivals loop (which I've only driven before, dozens of times) felt surreal and fun. Paid $50 for an Admirals Club day pass in order to take a shower - didn't really seem necessary, but since you can't always smell your own B.O. I figured it's best to play it safe. Bike is locked to a railing in the T4 garage; hopefully it'll still be there Monday.

Thanks again for the route bzcat, it worked out really well! A couple notes - the Ballona Creek trail at Overland is now CLOSED. There's a "bike detour" sign indicating a right turn on Ocean, but no follow-up signs to show you how to get back on the trail. Hate it when they do that. I ended up cutting over to Jefferson and taking that to Lincoln instead; it was a little scary at the 405 interchange, but otherwise not too bad. Would've preferred the creek though.

Venice between downtown and San Vicente was a little dicey in spots (no bike lane, narrow with a few patches of really bad pavement). Might try Pico or Olympic for that part on the way back. West of San Vicente (where the bike lane started) it was great. Worst part was having to stop at EVERY BLOODY TRAFFIC LIGHT on Broadway through downtown. I think they must time them to frustrate bicyclists. Since I didn't make use of the Gold Line anyway, maybe routing through Silverlake and coming down on Vermont would be a bit quicker.

Last edited by rjw242; Jan 28, 2011 at 10:21 am
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:08 pm

Wow, that's really good time you made. 1:40 from Pasadena is just about the same time as driving ^

The temporary Overland entrance to Ballona Creek bike path is actually in the Faragut Elementary school right there behind the library. I forgot to mention that to you... you have to cut across the school yard. Maybe the gate was closed during school hours. Who knows. You should be alright going back that way from the bike path.

Yes, part of Venice is a little bit dicey but I think keeping it straight on Venice was better than switching to Pico and back. Pico does not have bike lane either so it's a toss up.

I'm catching the 4:50 pm AA flight to Vegas today... getting on my bike in about 30 minutes. Good day for a leisurely ride to LAX.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:49 pm

I take it you guys have road bikes? because I cannot imagine being on a mountain bike for that long.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:25 pm

I don't know about rjw but I just have an around town hybrid bike (Electra Townie 21D to be exact) that I ride to LAX. But I also live only 3 miles away so it's not problem for me.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Wow! Can't believe that I only just found this thread. (Then again, I haven't been on FT much lately. )

rjw, I am very impressed with your time down to LAX! ^ Then again, when I ride from Pasadena, California, out to the West Side,Mulholland Drive is a large part of the journey. I've thought about taking Mulholland west and then coming back on Venice, but I've never bothered to figure out how to negotiate downtown back to Pasadena.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Bike was still locked in the T4 garage, untouched, when I arrived back this morning. ^ Rode home uneventfully (and managed to take the Ballona Creek path this time)

Originally Posted by bzcat
I don't know about rjw but I just have an around town hybrid bike (Electra Townie 21D to be exact) that I ride to LAX.
I've got an old road bike, but am considering something a little sturdier for LA's deteriorating streets (seems like nowadays I get flats or broken spokes every other week).

Originally Posted by iapetus
rjw, I am very impressed with your time down to LAX! ^ Then again, when I ride from Pasadena, California, out to the West Side,Mulholland Drive is a large part of the journey.
My time to the west side would be pretty dismal if I had to go on Mulholland. At least the route to LAX is flat almost all the way
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:02 pm

The ride from Pasadena to LAX will become even easier next year when the Expo line bike path opens (tentatively around August 2011). There will be a continous bike lane or path basically from Downtown LA all the way to LAX.

Downtown to USC via Hoover (marked bike lane).
USC to Culver City via Expo line (sparated bike path)
Culvery City to Lincoln Blvd via Ballona Creek (separate bike path)
Lincoln Blvd to In-N-Out via Lincoln and Westchester (marked bike lane)
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:49 am

Great exercise, but with the $50 for the Admirals Club, did it really save much time over a shuttle? I know a taxi would have been more. The exercise value is priceless, of course.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skoenig
Great exercise, but with the $50 for the Admirals Club, did it really save much time over a shuttle? I know a taxi would have been more. The exercise value is priceless, of course.
Nope, taking a shuttle or even parking in Lot C would've been cheaper and a bit faster. I mostly wanted to see if it could be done. It'd be nice if there were a way to get a cheaper shower though; then I'd be inclined to do this more often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.