Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with 340K GP miles?????

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2003, 3:52 pm
BJJ
Original Poster

What to do with 340K GP miles?????

OK folks. I know you guys have researched this intensely. I've not been around this board much since my LP run. Of course, we've lost TWA and US Air. I've read efforts at getting KLM flights are pretty unsuccessful. Should I move these miles to Hilton? and then to AA? Can I get hotel nights with my HH points and get better value from them? I will get busy searching the posts, but would like to hear the very latest thinking on how to come out of this with SOMETHING. Any news on Alaska Airlines as a partner? I couldn't even find a partner list on the GP website. One piece of good news is that I was able to get 4 US Air tickets on the LAST day they participated with GP. Can't believe it!
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:54 pm
Original Member

Well, your profile does not show where you are from, so it's a little difficult to determine whether you are close enough to a GP airline gateway city to use GP airlines to Central or South America.

We are using some miles over Easter to visit Costa Rica, which we loved when we were on our LP run. Taking the kids, and hoping to have a great time.

I too have heard that getting KLM seats is difficult (I think because you are competing with all those CO and NW ticket holders for the few FF seats acrosss the Atlantic). Inter-Europe seats on KLM I hear are somewhat easier.

As to who still participates, you can go to GP home, then About GlobalPass, then Participating Programs to get some info., albeit somewhat sketchy. You can also log-on online, and then put in city pairs for awards you are seeking, which lets you know if a GP airline serves the route you wish to take. Kind of a backward way of figuring things out, though.

Then there's always dumping to HiltonHHonors. But, of course, HHonors is being devalued.

Or you can wait for new participants in GP.

Djlawman
Old Feb 19, 2003, 7:41 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Lets see - 340K. Thats a trip to South America Business class every year for the next 6 years. Sounds good to me. Rio anyone?

Old Feb 20, 2003, 9:05 pm
Original Member

Well, we just got confirmation of our 4 tikets to travel to San Jose, Costa Rica over Easter. Decided to travel in Clase Ejecutiva, since we have the miles and want a comfortable vacation. That will burn some extra miles, and we're looking forward to a great vacation there.

Djlawman
Old Feb 23, 2003, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been fairly successful at getting some C-class EU - Asia flights on KL - if that might be of any help for you.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 6:56 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
What were the mileage redemption levels for KLM Asia?

Dave - Japan
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:54 pm
BJJ
Original Poster

I'm in Alabama - that's not too close to any LP Airlines. If I wanted to go for a KLM flight, I might drive the 5 hours to Memphis. Otherwise, I've got to get to Miami, or Houston. I've moved my first set of miles to Hilton, and reserved a couple of hotel rooms.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:50 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
TACA flies out of New Orleans, for what it's worth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.