Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to buy a ticket and change it later, or wait for airport to reopen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth it to buy a ticket and change it later, or wait for airport to reopen?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2024, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I need to buy a round trip ticket to POA from the United States for November. POA airport is closed for the time being due to the floods they had recently, and initial estimates say that it may be reopened in September - but maybe even later. There is a lot of uncertainty and the airport is really damaged.

So I was thinking in buying through a nearby airport - maybe FLN or even GRU (since the longer I wait to buy the tickets, the higher they are) and maybe change it later when POA reopens.

Is this a good idea or it doesn't matter? Will they reticket the whole itinerary or just the FLN leg (assuming I get a trip back through GRU or GIG).

Last edited by pampa; May 16, 2024 at 1:52 pm
Old May 16, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pampa
I need to buy a round trip ticket to POA from the United States for November. POA airport is closed for the time being due to the floods they had recently, and initial estimates say that it may be reopened in September - but maybe even later. There are a lot of uncertainty and the airport is really damaged.

So I was thinking in buying through a nearby airport - maybe FLN or even GRU (since the longer I wait to buy the tickets, the higher they are) and maybe change it later when POA reopens.

Is this a good idea or it doesn't matter? Will they reticket the whole itinerary or just the FLN leg (assuming I get a trip back through GRU or GIG).
Check the ticket conditions if you buy a ticket to FLN or GRU to see a change to a different airport makes sense from a cost standpoint. Obviously no one knows when POA will re open. So if you must get there get a flight to FLN or GRU with the expectation you wont be able to change it. If it turns out you can change it later then thats a bonus.
Old May 16, 2024, 10:20 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
LATAM is offering protections free of penalties and fare differences to a nearby airport (currently CXJ/PFB/JJG/FLN/NVT)

For the moment the policy is until the end of July, but if the airport is not open when you fly, I’m sure you will get a similar offering

See https://www.latamtrade.com/en_us/new...Alegre_POA_ENG
Old May 16, 2024, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Semphyra
LATAM is offering protections free of penalties and fare differences to a nearby airport (currently CXJ/PFB/JJG/FLN/NVT)

For the moment the policy is until the end of July, but if the airport is not open when you fly, Im sure you will get a similar offering

See https://www.latamtrade.com/en_us/new...Alegre_POA_ENG
I think that's the opposite of what I need. Those are for people who already bought flights to or from POA. In my case, I can't buy a flight to POA and have to buy to FLN or GRU, and then ask them to change it later when the airport reopens and flights are back.
Old May 16, 2024, 10:41 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by pampa
I think that's the opposite of what I need. Those are for people who already bought flights to or from POA. In my case, I can't buy a flight to POA and have to buy to FLN or GRU, and then ask them to change it later when the airport reopens and flights are back.
Oh sorry, I didn’t realize they zeroed the availability up to 2025

In that case I would buy the international sector to GRU and buy the domestic segment when the situation is more clear. If you change the airport of your ticket, the whole trip is going to be repriced anyways.

Just make sure to plan for a buffer for the connections since they will be on separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.