Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Downgraded and battling LATAM - what to do next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2024, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,
I have been battling with LATAM and wondering if anybody has any advice on what I should do next.
I had fully refundable, premium economy tickets for two people travelling from Goiana to Rio de Janeiro via Sao Paulo Congonhas.
I needed to change dates which I was able to do in five minutes on the LATAM website (at a cost of GBP 5 per passenger). So far so good.
Once the confirmation arrived, however, we had without explanation been downgraded to economy. To top it all, my tickets were now apparently non-refundable! LATAM had no explanation for why when I called the telephone centre, and said my only recourse was to raise a ticket. I asked for them to apply the upgrade, as per my original booking, or give me a full refund, but the agent said there was nothing they could do.
Soon after, I received a response to my ticket advising there was nothing LATAM could do, seeing as the new terms were stated on the website, and I agreed to them. This is NOT the case. If the website had informed me I would be downgraded, and would lose the flexibility to cancel, I would not have completed the date change (instead I would have simply cancelled and rebooked for my new date).
I replied to the message, stating the above, but have had no response after 24 hours.
I am wondering what the collective wisdom advises for my next move? I am sure Amex will refund the charges if I dispute the transaction now, but I am worried that if I buy new tickets, Amex will later charge me again for the first lot, should LATAM try and claim I was aware. Should I just hold my nerve and hope LATAM reply with something sensible? Thank you.
Old May 11, 2024, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked for them to apply the upgrade, as per my original booking,
Did you pay for PE with cash? Or an upgrade from paid economy to PE?
Asking for an "upgrade" may be part of the problem. I would have asked to be seated in the class as originally purchased.
Old May 11, 2024, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Did you pay for PE with cash? Or an upgrade from paid economy to PE?
Asking for an "upgrade" may be part of the problem. I would have asked to be seated in the class as originally purchased.
It was a cash booking. I didn't ask them for "an upgrade" - I asked them to upgrade me so that I had the same class as my original booking! The flights were exactly the same time/ routing, just 24 hours different and aside from charging 10, the website gave no indication I would be changing class or conditions.
Old May 11, 2024, 5:25 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
I am afraid there wasn’t favorable outcomes in the past LATAM DOWNGRADE - What to do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.