Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Incident onboard LA800, SYD-AKL, 11 March 2024 -50 injured, several taken to hospital

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident onboard LA800, SYD-AKL, 11 March 2024 -50 injured, several taken to hospital

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by jimmyah
A sudden movement of the seat forward, pitching the pilot into the yoke, which would be a sudden command for nose down...I can see how it might happen.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Except that plane had a side stick, and Boeings have yokes. So it wouldn't be quite the same as the RAF incident.
well I said similar, not the same.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The aircraft in question, CC-BGG, has just flown directly over and past SCL airport while operating flight LA9600 to get the aircraft back to home base

EDIT: Touched down at 1135UTC
Attached Images  
Semphyra likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 14, 2024 at 5:36 am
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DK_JungleBeat
well I said similar, not the same.
Similar in that both were planes, perhaps.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:04 am

Similar in that both were planes, perhaps.
didn’t they both experience a sudden nosedive which lasted for a a short period of time?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DK_JungleBeat
didn’t they both experience a sudden nosedive which lasted for a a short period of time?
I'm focused more on the cause, not the effect.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The aircraft in question, CC-BGG, has just flown directly over and past SCL airport while operating flight LA9600 to get the aircraft back to home base

EDIT: Touched down at 1135UTC
I assume crew only, but implies confidence in airworthiness of the aircraft.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
WSJ amongst others is reporting that a FA delivering meals “accidentally” hit a button that pushed the pilot seat forward which in turn caused the pilot to push the joystick forward causing the dive.

This switch is supposed to have a cover and shouldn’t have triggered like this though…

https://www.wsj.com/business/airline...g-787-ee3dd7b4
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
The motorized switch that moves the seat was accidently triggered. The seats move slowly just like in your car. The Pilot must have not been very limber or coordinated to completely lose control of the plane because of that. Think of the seat in your car slowly moving forward.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I have been shared a clip of a 787 seat being activated by the rear switch and then carrying on without anyone touching the switch ie no positive pressure on it. I can’t link the video clip on FT, and I do not know the source of the clip, other than Spanish is being spoken. Accordingly these picture should be treated with caution in terms of accuracy.

smith80678 likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 15, 2024 at 3:22 pm
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From rnz.co.nz (via BBC) Boeing tells pilots to check seats after LATAM plane incident
BCC https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68580950
Boeing has told airlines operating 787 Dreamliners that pilots need to check their seats as an investigation into an incident on a LATAM flight continues.

It comes after 50 people were hurt this week when a 787 dropped suddenly during a LATAM Airlines flight. The Wall Street Journal reported that a flight attendant accidentally hit a switch on the pilot's seat, which pushed the pilot into the controls, forcing down the plane's nose. LATAM is supporting investigations.

During the incident people were thrown against the roof of the plane, which was travelling from Australia to New Zealand.
<snip>
Boeing said: "The investigation of Flight LA800 is ongoing and we defer to the investigation authorities on any potential findings.""We have taken the precautionary measure of reminding 787 operators of a service bulletin issued in 2017 which included instructions for inspecting and maintaining switches on flight deck seats." It recommended that operators perform an inspection of the switches "at the next maintenance opportunity"
<snip>
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not buying this one. The seat doesn't suddenly thrust forward in such a situation...although I can think of certain thrusting that would cause a sudden push on the yoke.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I'm not buying this one. The seat doesn't suddenly thrust forward in such a situation...although I can think of certain thrusting that would cause a sudden push on the yoke.
In the video it takes less than 5 secs for the seat to motor forwards from the fully rear position to fully forward. Additionally, once the seat is 1/3 of the way forward from the rearmost position the pilot is pretty much ‘stuck’ in their seat due to the centre console being right up against the seat. The surprise factor would be high and if the switch on the rear of the seat is dodgy…..

Yes, loads of rumours about other possibilities involving cabin crew in the cockpit - the CVR transcript will hopefully make everything clear!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.