Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LIM-EZE: Flight subject to government approval

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2024, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Wyndham Diamond

I am thinking booking this flight. It is flown by LATAM Ecuador. Why is there such a notation that this is subject to government approval? I have flown EZE-LIM on LATAM last year - I do not remember such a notation. Is there any risk if I were to book this?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by happychic
I am thinking booking this flight. It is flown by LATAM Ecuador. Why is there such a notation that this is subject to government approval? I have flown EZE-LIM on LATAM last year - I do not remember such a notation. Is there any risk if I were to book this?
I've seen this on many flights over the years, and it has never been an issue. Probably here because it is typically LP operated, and they want to use an XL bird on the route, so new approval is required.
Schultzois likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've seen this on many flights over the years, and it has never been an issue. Probably here because it is typically LP operated, and they want to use an XL bird on the route, so new approval is required.
Sorry, what is LP and XL in this context?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:59 pm

LP is LATAM Peru (which is what would make sense for the route) whilst XL is LATAM Ecuador (which might make sense depending on the route network for LATAM generally… e.g. they may want to use the same plane for UIO-LIM-EZE in order to optimize utilization).

All the LATAM airlines (legacy Lan Chile, Lan Peru, Lan Ecuador, TAM Brasil… maybe missing some here) are owned by the same LATAM group now, but considered different carriers under registration.
happychic likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schultzois
LP is LATAM Peru (which is what would make sense for the route) whilst XL is LATAM Ecuador (which might make sense depending on the route network for LATAM generally… e.g. they may want to use the same plane for UIO-LIM-EZE in order to optimize utilization).

All the LATAM airlines (legacy Lan Chile, Lan Peru, Lan Ecuador, TAM Brasil… maybe missing some here) are owned by the same LATAM group now, but considered different carriers under registration.
I see. Thank you both @Schultzois and @Eastbay1K!
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
I flew this route 2 weeks ago. MDE-LIM-EZE. They would not let me checkin in Medellín until I showed them evidence that I had a flight out of Argentina
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chipster
I flew this route 2 weeks ago. MDE-LIM-EZE. They would not let me checkin in Medellín until I showed them evidence that I had a flight out of Argentina
Interesting! Why would they need to see that?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:01 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
Because you might be deported, the airline would have to take care of the costs involved and even might be fined. So usually need to be a resident or have an onward/return ticket. Same happens in the US and Europe.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:12 pm

First time that has ever happened to me. I’d expect to be asked about duration of stay at immigration not checkin. I wondered if it had something to do with my British passport. Fortunately I could show I was leaving Argentina 3 days later
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First time that has ever happened to me. I’d expect to be asked about duration of stay at immigration not checkin. I wondered if it had something to do with my British passport. Fortunately I could show I was leaving Argentina 3 days later
I'm frequently asked how long my stay will be, by immigration officers worldwide.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:54 pm

True here also, however not by airline checkin staff in my experience;
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True here also, however not by airline checkin staff in my experience;
I've had it more than once, in more than one country. I've even been permitted check-in, but then paged at the gate to show proof of onward travel (probably a list of those whose onward travel had not been previously verified). Even DL recently wanted me (I could input it online) information regarding my onward travel on a one-way award into Mexico.
Semphyra likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

I want to make sure my plan goes without a hitch. My itinerary is LAX-LIM-EZE, with a 16+ hour layover in Lima. I'm holding a US passport. I shouldn't have trouble leaving the airport to sightsee Lima during the layover. Correct?

I'm hoping to be able to just leave my checked luggage with LATAM and collect it in EZE. I will only have my personal item (backpack) on me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.