Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Transfer in SCL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
International to Domestic Transfer at SCL

Due to arrive in SCL at 07:30 on British Airways and have option to connect on separate ticket to IPC the same day at 09:35.

I will have bags and inbound F with onward in J. Is this hopelessly optimistic?

I can travel a day of two later if required but would like to get the travel over with in one hit if possible.

Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by binman
Due to arrive in SCL at 07:30 on British Airways and have option to connect on separate ticket to IPC the same day at 09:35.

I can travel a day of two later if required but would like to get the travel over with in one hit if possible.

Thanks
You will have to do customs, pick up your bags, transfer terminals and check your bags again and go trough security. That's in two hours and a lot of international inbound flights at that time

It's doable under very very optimistic conditions.
binman likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:46 pm

Thanks
How long did it end up taking? I've booked LAX-SCL arriving at 6:40am with a self transfer to an 11am domestic flight on Sky Airline. I know it'll be a little tight but hopefully doable.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by YayArea
How long did it end up taking? I've booked LAX-SCL arriving at 6:40am with a self transfer to an 11am domestic flight on Sky Airline. I know it'll be a little tight but hopefully doable.
I have decided not to risk a same connection and will instead spend a few days in SCL
Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by YayArea
Sounds fine, but if you want to be extra safe you should book the domestic flight with LATAM too. They have a new policy for passenger protections with two separate tickets:

Protection for second affected ticket:

This protection is implemented when the passenger has two LATAM tickets and one of them is reprogrammed due to a contingency LATAM is responsible for, with a resulting effect on the second ticket.Applicable for two (2) separate LATAM tickets as long as connecting time is less than 24 hours and the original flights have complied with the minimum connection time when they were issued. Domestic or regional trips are included where the round trip is issued in separate tickets and as a result of a rescheduled one of the trips the stay of the entire trip is reduced or increased.

https://www.latamtrade.com/en_us/procom/pax_protection
YayArea, Brandinho1 and krzysz like this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Semphyra
Sounds fine, but if you want to be extra safe you should book the domestic flight with LATAM too. They have a new policy for passenger protections with two separate tickets
That is really interesting to hear! I wish I could fly LATAM onward, but we're traveling to Puerto Natales. LATAM's flight leaves very early in the morning before we could connect to it, meaning we'd need to stay in Santiago overnight. Sky Airline's flight leave at 11am the day we are arriving to SCL. What's interesting is that Sky actually has a very liberal policy for people who miss their flight. As long as you're at the airport counter within 6 hours of the missed departure, they'll put you on the next available flight for no additional cost other than a flat fee. For this route it's $85,000CLP/$106USD so I'm not too worried.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: LATAMPass
Originally Posted by jdhnyc
Hi everyone - I have some questions about and international transfer in Santiago. I am flying from NYC to Buenos Aires. My final destination is Buenos Aires but the only flights I have booked right now are LATAM business from JFK, arriving in SCL at 7AM. I used Alaska miles and this was the only availability. I am planning on booking a paid economy ticket for the SCL-EZE/AEP segment.

There are several options and I am wondering:

1. How much time should I allow at SCL?
2. Should I stick with LATAM flights because of the higher likelihood of getting my checked bag tagged through?
3. Will I have to pick up my checked bag to go through customs anyway? And if so, should I just book another carrier (as long as I allow for plenty of time on the ground)?

Any advice would be appreciated. This is for early November if that makes a difference. Thanks!
As someone said before, almost all flights from northern hemisphere arrive at 6:00 - 8:00 window, so it's rush hour at SCL.
For the traveler from NY, there are plenty of flights to EZE/AEP from LATAM among others. You need to "enter" the country, take your luggage, and then recheck for the new flight. I would consider a window of 4 hours at least. You can connect with the flights at noon. Even you can catch the flight from KLM to EZE... the only option with J (all other flights are in narrowbodies without J)

Thanks
You are too optimistic. You need to enter Chile, retrieve your luggage, then walk to the old terminal (10 - 15 min), now converted into a domestic terminal, do the check in, then pass through an additional screening for the people travelling to rapa nui... and all of that in rush hour (as a wrote above..... morning is rush hour in arrivals) and also a rush hour in national departures (although is more al 6-7 am).
Old Sep 30, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: Latam Airlines | Gold
Thank you both malagajohn and SenSCL for the advice. The SCL-Buenos Aires flight will definitely be a separate ticket so it's helpful to know that my bag won't be checked through. I'm happy to clear immigration and pick it up in SCL, but that does that mean I need to pay the immigration fee for Chile?
If you're flying LATAM there's a counter at the exit, at the very end of where the official transfers are. It says national but I'm 99% sure that they will also accept an international
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone. Just wanted to give a quick update in case anyone else finds this thread and my story can be helpful. Though I kept checking availability for nonstop NYC-Buenos Aires flights, I never saw availability so ended up sticking with my JFK-SCL booking and using UR points through the portal to buy a separate Aerolineas Argentinas flight SCL-AEP.

So I did JFK-SCL, departing NYC at 7:30PM and arriving 7:00AM. We got in at 6:30 which was good. Transfering was quick and easy and while there were definitely other arriving flights, it didn't feel too busy. I had lounge access in the SkyTeam lounge through Priority Pass/having a connecting SkyTeam flight. The lounge was conveniently located right next to the gate for my connecting flight so I chilled out there for a couple of hours before boarding began for my 10AM flight to Buenos Aires. Not bad!
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:53 am
soy

Programs: various
I land in SCL at 7am, flying LATAM Biz with no checked luggage
There is a LA flight to IPC departing 9:30am. This would be a separate ticket and in economy.

Appreciate any feedback on the viability of this before I buy the IPC ticket. There is a data point earlier but that involved different carriers and checked luggage so not sure how applicable it is to my case

thoughts?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would feel comfortable with that "connection" across two separate tickets. You can probably absorb 1-1.5 hours of delay on your inbound flight to SCL before things start to look dicey.
soy likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Is it a 100% record that LATAM will never check through baggage on separate tickets, LATAM to LATAM?
Or has anyone been successful in doing this before?
Travelling SYD-SCL, separate ticket SCL-LIM
Old Jan 23, 2024, 3:00 pm

Hi everyone. Just wanted to give a quick update in case anyone else finds this thread and my story can be helpful. Though I kept checking availability for nonstop NYC-Buenos Aires flights, I never saw availability so ended up sticking with my JFK-SCL booking and using UR points through the portal to buy a separate Aerolineas Argentinas flight SCL-AEP.

So I did JFK-SCL, departing NYC at 7:30PM and arriving 7:00AM. We got in at 6:30 which was good. Transfering was quick and easy and while there were definitely other arriving flights, it didn't feel too busy. I had lounge access in the SkyTeam lounge through Priority Pass/having a connecting SkyTeam flight. The lounge was conveniently located right next to the gate for my connecting flight so I chilled out there for a couple of hours before boarding began for my 10AM flight to Buenos Aires. Not bad!
Did you check a bag? If so, how did it work out?
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I'm thinking of having a 1 hour international connection; will be arriving 6AM and connecting flight to AEP is 7AM (both on LATAM but separate tickets). Inbound flight will be sitting in J if that makes any difference. Presuming an on time arrival and no checked bags, would you guys consider it possible/doable?

I have a backup flight 2 hours later planned, so I'm thinking if I miss the 7AM, that I can head to EZE without issue.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I'm thinking of having a 1 hour international connection; will be arriving 6AM and connecting flight to AEP is 7AM (both on LATAM but separate tickets). Inbound flight will be sitting in J if that makes any difference. Presuming an on time arrival and no checked bags, would you guys consider it possible/doable?

I have a backup flight 2 hours later planned, so I'm thinking if I miss the 7AM, that I can head to EZE without issue.

Thoughts?
I think it would be tight but doable. I just did a connection (on same itinerary but shouldn't make a difference without a checked bag), and it was about a 10 minute walk from the arrival gate to security screening (no immigration as it's a sterile transit), took about 5 minutes to get through security (there was a very short line), and from security to departure gate was about a 5 minute walk. This implies reasonably fast walking but not running or anything. We arrived at 7am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.