Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Transfer in SCL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

International Transfer in SCL

Hi everyone - I have some questions about and international transfer in Santiago. I am flying from NYC to Buenos Aires. My final destination is Buenos Aires but the only flights I have booked right now are LATAM business from JFK, arriving in SCL at 7AM. I used Alaska miles and this was the only availability. I am planning on booking a paid economy ticket for the SCL-EZE/AEP segment.

There are several options and I am wondering:

1. How much time should I allow at SCL?
2. Should I stick with LATAM flights because of the higher likelihood of getting my checked bag tagged through?
3. Will I have to pick up my checked bag to go through customs anyway? And if so, should I just book another carrier (as long as I allow for plenty of time on the ground)?

Any advice would be appreciated. This is for early November if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:16 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
If you are on the same carrier for both flights with the same ticket, your bag will be checked through to Argentina

With two separate tickets, it is unlikely unless you get a very friendly check-in official who is looking to go the extra mile.

It really is a hard one to call - if your first flight is late arriving , you will miss your short flight .

How much risk do you want to take?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: LH FTL, LATAM Platinum, KL Silver, UA Premier Silver
If you are travelling on separate tickets / PNRs, LA will NEVER check through your luggage, even if the connection is on their own metal.

Hence, you will have to clear immigration in SCL and pick up your bags from the JFK flight.

During these busy morning hours, where many flights from North America and Europe arrive at SCL, I would at least allow 2 1/2 hours until the connecting flight to EZE / AEP. This could be on LA, AR, KL or on H2 or JA, if you fancy a low-cost option. KL is the only one that offers proper C class on this route, but is not flying every day, if I am not wrong.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you both malagajohn and SenSCL for the advice. The SCL-Buenos Aires flight will definitely be a separate ticket so it's helpful to know that my bag won't be checked through. I'm happy to clear immigration and pick it up in SCL, but that does that mean I need to pay the immigration fee for Chile?

Last edited by jdhnyc; Jun 14, 2023 at 7:41 pm Reason: typo in Buenos Aires
Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by jdhnyc
Thank you both malagajohn and SenSCL for the advice. The SCL-Bueons Aires flight will definitely be a separate ticket so it's helpful to know that my bag won't be checked through. I'm happy to clear immigration and pick it up in SCL, but that does that mean I need to pay the immigration fee for Chile?
I believe there is no reciprocity fee today, except for maybe Albanian nationals? I couldn't find recent information for that country up to date. For Mexico, Canada, Australia and US nationals is certainly dropped
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Semphyra
I believe there is no reciprocity fee today, except for maybe Albanian nationals? I couldn't find recent information for that country up to date. For Mexico, Canada, Australia and US nationals is certainly dropped
I think the fee was cancelled in december 2019.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn
I think the fee was cancelled in december 2019.
Mrs MalagaJohn tells me it was back in 2014 when Chile entered the Visa Waiver program.

Whatever , you can enter for 90 days right now , and can extend to 180 with a visit to the Chilean Immigration Service
Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Mrs MalagaJohn tells me it was back in 2014 when Chile entered the Visa Waiver program.

Whatever , you can enter for 90 days right now , and can extend to 180 with a visit to the Chilean Immigration Service
There were still a handful of countries - the flags kept getting blacked out on the Reciprocity Fee signs each time another one dropped off.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
it was back in 2014 when Chile entered the Visa Waiver program.
Chile on track to lose it sooner than later, so expect the fee to come back eventually for US citizens.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 11:49 am

Certainly possible if Chilean tourists overstay their welcome......beyond the 90 days.

Argentina removed the Visa Fee in a bid to regain VISA WAIVER status . But with no joy.

Right now , no signs of an introduction as those tourist dollars are vitally important .
Old Jun 17, 2023, 3:40 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Right now , no signs of an introduction as those tourist dollars are vitally important .
They are not, 3.3 % of GDP in 2018 per OECD. Tourism is perceived increasingly as a nuisance (look at the scepticism to pave the Carretare Austral south of Cerro Castillo) and regional tourism (very affluent Brazilians and also wealthy Argentinians) is more easy to handle.

Chile has a shortage of labour, especially in the hospitality sector.

Imposing reciprocity on US citizens is only fair and will reduce the flux and hence the cultural impact. Just look what happened to Brazil.
gsberlin likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Certainly possible if Chilean tourists overstay their welcome......beyond the 90 days.

Argentina removed the Visa Fee in a bid to regain VISA WAIVER status . But with no joy.

More than overstaying, it seems the issue is that Chile is not sharing criminal records automatically with the US, so it seems some Chileans with a criminal record are able to enter the US

Related:
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...am-2023-06-16/

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/off...-crime-in-o-c/
Old Jun 19, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Semphyra
More than overstaying, it seems the issue is that Chile is not sharing criminal records automatically with the US, so it seems some Chileans with a criminal record are able to enter the US

Related:
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...am-2023-06-16/

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/off...-crime-in-o-c/
Something tells me that McCarthy wouldn't be so up in arms if the Neo-Nazi had won the election in Chile instead of the casi-Communist. But what do I know, and this has nothing to do with an international transfer @ SCL, which is a lovely place for international transit if you don't have to retrieve your equipaje and have lounge access.
Semphyra likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
...Neo-Nazi...casi-Communist...
Typical narrative of the English speaking left international media. This issue of organized Chilean criminals obtaining passports from the inept if not corrupt Registro Civil of Chile started in the last part of Chanchalet 2 through Piraņa 2 and now Burric whose government has been the weakest on crime of the three.

Before the VWP, my wife was denied a US tourist visa and now may be again locked out as with all the other legitimate tourists and visitors from Chile.

Disculpe, nothing to do with international transfer (except in regards to the reason for the reciprocity fee in the past).
Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:08 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Before the VWP, my wife was denied a US tourist visa and now may be again locked out as with all the other legitimate tourists and visitors from Chile.
Please come to Europe then, very welcome ! Happy to know your wife is Chilean. Myself even not needing a visa to travel to the sacred place, I did not return and will never do so since 2001. I am not missing the ever present tipping culture and males wearing ridicolous boardshorts in swimming pools (two pet peeves of mine). And yes, reciprocity is the only way to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.