Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Too bad: LATAM is gonna change its UPG system

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too bad: LATAM is gonna change its UPG system

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM Pass Black
Thumbs down Too bad: LATAM is gonna change its UPG system

So frustrating, but true. Since 01 April 2022, LATAM is going to change its politics related to upgrades with coupons. These will no longer exist, and they'll be replaced for "legs".
I.E: Now Black Tiers have unlimited coupons, but soon they're only be able to get 8 legs upgrades, or 4 roundtrip, which would be the same. (This applies for intercontinental flights). When it comes to flights inside SouthAmerica, then they'll keep their unlimited chances to get upgrades.

This information isn't published yet on LATAM.com, however it seems it was leaked to some media websites like chocale.cl (media related to travel, flights, credit cards, banks, you name it...)

Source: https://chocale.cl/2022/01/latam-pas...ade-de-cabina/
Semphyra and nutsbr like this.

Last edited by Thack; Jan 11, 2022 at 8:45 am
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: IB Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, NH Titanium
The article says this will be in place from 01 April 2023 onwards. I guess LATAM wouldn't make the change in 2022 because of the clients who built up their status to take advantage of the current policy from APR2022-MAR2023.

I'm currently Gold+ and I have no expectation of re-qualifying for 2023, and I'm only Gold+ because of the last status extensions because of Covid. But if what is in the article is true, it will suck for Gold+. With my current 4 coupons, I can try to get upgraded on a flight Europe-Brasil (3 coupons) or even to Australia (4 coupons), for instance (although always last in the priority, so hard to use anyway). In the new model it will be only for intra-South America flights. One still can get a proper business class flying in wide-body between the four hubs (SCL/LIM/GRU/BOG), but other than that it will be Premium Economy with Economy seats with the middle seat empty, which for short flights it is something I never bothered about buying it. I would rather have the 4 legs for South America flights + 1 leg for outside South America instead of 6 legs in South America. I guess at least upgrades in domestic flights in Brasil are much easier to get than in long-haul flights.

On a side note, UA this year moved from GPUs and RPUs to PlusPoints to allow user to use the points to apply to upgrades in whatever they wanted taking into consideration the cost of the specific upgrade. LATAM would be doing the opposite move assuming the info in the article is true.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: QF, LM
Over the years Latam has constantly "tweaked" these sort of benefits. Brave of them to do so in Covid time. But since the removal of the Cueto family as managers, they are no doubt now suffering and endless array of wannabes who promise greater profitability. people who introduce a cost-cutting that takes several years to reveal the backlash...
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
I was more pissed of Upgrade Bidding having priority over almost all Elites except Black and Black Signature

Chapter 11 is still hitting hard
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: IB Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, NH Titanium
This is news now in Brazil too. The article in a large newspaper in Brazil includes a quote from LATAM Pass' director in Brazil, making it kind of official. The table with the number of upgrades per category and the launch in 2023 are consistent with the article in the first post of this thread in a Chilean blog.

https://einvestidor.estadao.com.br/c...rade-de-cabine
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: LATAM Black
This is now on the LATAMPASS site:
https://latampass.latam.com/es_cl/upgrade-de-cabina
As always, they try to tell it as an enhancement to the program, while it quite obviously is the opposite.
Another change they have thrown in, is that tickets for children under 12 no longer can be upgraded...
I guess that if you always travel for work in business (outside LATAM), then it will now be easier to upgrade long-haul flights when flying for leisure with friends or partner (not kids though...) and it could actually be seen as an improvements.
For most, I think this is a serious downgrade of the program. The upgrades are at least for me that absolute number 1 reason I am still using LATAM
Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:46 am

Programs: LA Platinum
In Brazil you’ve never been able to upgrade children’s tickets, is that not the same in other countries?
Old Feb 11, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: LATAM Black
If they have been bought with miles (Ie paid full price), then you can call the call center and get the upgrade (in Chile at least).
Old Feb 11, 2022, 5:57 am

Child and Infant fares were never eligible for an upgrade unless you pay an adult fare but if I recall discretion was given to Special Services

I am told this policy was made because they wanted to protect the product and the brand of the Business Cabin for paying passengers. Of course they can't discriminate if you buy an elegible fare
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:36 pm

Would it be possible to use upgrade cupon on award ticket booked via Delta? If so, I'm gonna use the upgrade cupon end of april for SCL-MIA as category gold, would it be possible? Business class seems full on that flight all the time.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:37 am

Probably not since only Plus and Top fares are elegible. That condition also applies for awards and since partner airlines redemptions don't use LA branded fares it should not be elegible, but maybe the system will still let you use them!
Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:01 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Hi all, new LATAM Black member here! I only have 1 roundtrip on LATAM planned, but with 3 other friends. If we book on the same reservation, can I try to attach upgrade certificates for all of them, or can I only attach 'em for 1 guest in addition to myself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.