Search

LATAM carry-on enforcement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:36 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
LATAM carry-on enforcement

I've been completely and utterly daft and booked a LATAM flight from MIA to SCL connecting from a BA flight. I forgot that carry-on entitlements are not covered within IATA rules.

So while I will not be carrying over-the-top number of bags, I have a sinking feeling that the combined weight of my 2 pieces of carry-on bags will exceed the 8kgs allowed. I was planning a wheelie and a squishable rucksack to avoid checking in bags due to a rather short connection at SCL.

How likely will one of my bags be taken off me at MIA? Any tips on how best to avoid it? If it helps, I'm travelling J as BA Gold (but keen to avoid a "DYKWIA" moment)

Thanks...
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by jdtravels
I've been completely and utterly daft and booked a LATAM flight from MIA to SCL connecting from a BA flight. I forgot that carry-on entitlements are not covered within IATA rules.

So while I will not be carrying over-the-top number of bags, I have a sinking feeling that the combined weight of my 2 pieces of carry-on bags will exceed the 8kgs allowed. I was planning a wheelie and a squishable rucksack to avoid checking in bags due to a rather short connection at SCL.

How likely will one of my bags be taken off me at MIA? Any tips on how best to avoid it? If it helps, I'm travelling J as BA Gold (but keen to avoid a "DYKWIA" moment)

Thanks...
You say you are flying J on LATAM? Then why sweat it?
Business allows a 16Kg (35lbs) carry-on.

I am not sure what good makes to you to learn about anecdotal evidence of weighing carry-ons at MIA or not. The rules are the rules.
I have never experienced carry on weighing in the US
BUT, if they are checking carry-ons at the gate, be 100% sure that they will make you check it if above weight limit. Arguing or pulling out your BA or Costco gold card won't help at all.

Tips: Don't hang out by the gate, check-in online, avoid agents.
Plan B: be ready to check your carry-on if it exceeds the allowed weight and have a second one where you can transfer your must-have in cabin items to. Not the end of the world.

Last edited by carlosdca; Nov 6, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The LA sizers also have scales built into them. My experience (none in MIA) has been that if the bag looks too big it is going in the sizer/scale. Also, some check-in agents will weigh your cabin baggage at check in.

I haven't recently seen any enforcement in the boarding area of the J cabin during J boarding.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdtravels

Thanks...
Is there any of the heavy stuff that's small enough to fit in a traveler "vest" that's designed for such situations (with zillions of pockets)? While such a "vest" won't help at security, it could help at any weighing stations at the airport (which will be someplace other than security). For example, a photographer might put some small but heavy lenses in a "photo vest" everywhere but at security (and once on the plane).
MichaelJapan likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recent experience with LATAM's carry-on weight restrictions in Chile? I have some cheapo domestic flights booked and will be travelling with "USA-complaint" carry-on luggage (a rollerboard and maybe a small backpack). The problem would be the 8 kg weight restriction. When I was flying last year in Chile (I think it was Sky) people were bringing everything except the kitchen sink on board and the staff couldn't care less. I'm guessing LATAM wouldn't be too strict, either? I do know not to sit in the gate area with carry-on in SCL because the LATAM staff likes to dragoon customers into checking their bags, so I guess my only risk would be during the boarding process. What happens cost-wise if they say I'm "over-weight"?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Any recent experience with LATAM's carry-on weight restrictions in Chile? I have some cheapo domestic flights booked and will be travelling with "USA-complaint" carry-on luggage (a rollerboard and maybe a small backpack). The problem would be the 8 kg weight restriction. When I was flying last year in Chile (I think it was Sky) people were bringing everything except the kitchen sink on board and the staff couldn't care less. I'm guessing LATAM wouldn't be too strict, either? I do know not to sit in the gate area with carry-on in SCL because the LATAM staff likes to dragoon customers into checking their bags, so I guess my only risk would be during the boarding process. What happens cost-wise if they say I'm "over-weight"?
Regardless of anecdotal recent experience of the contrary, there is always a risk they will weigh your bag.
A 22" carry-on is always a prime suspect of being above 8kg.
Worst case scenario, they will weigh your bag as you stand in line to board and they will make you check it.
If they make you pay for it because your fare does not include a checked bag; it seems it is 11,000 CLP ($15) per bag for domestic Chile flights.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Regardless of anecdotal recent experience of the contrary, there is always a risk they will weigh your bag.
A 22" carry-on is always a prime suspect of being above 8kg.
Worst case scenario, they will weigh your bag as you stand in line to board and they will make you check it.
If they make you pay for it because your fare does not include a checked bag; it seems it is 11,000 CLP ($15) per bag for domestic Chile flights.
Good, if it's only $15, we can take our chances.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The updated LATAM app has a bag size estimator, using your phone camera. I've not yet tried. And, of course, the intestinal regularity or lack thereof of your gate agent will be the ultimate arbiter of your bag, notwithstanding any app update.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:45 pm

I'm traveling with just a carry-on backpack but my bag exceeds LATAM's carry-on dimensions by 1-3cm. The foam padding in the backpack makes it expand to full size, but I normally only carry it at 80-90% capacity and can easily squish it into carry-on sizers.

However, with LATAM's intro of new Basic fare classes, it seems they're trying to collect more carry-on bag fees. Will I still be allowed to squish my bag into their sizers, or are they taking a zero-tolerance policy to collect more fees?

If it helps to know, I'll be flying domestically within Chile on the following routes: SCL-IPC, SCL-CJC, and SCL-PUQ.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbrmanf4
I'm traveling with just a carry-on backpack but my bag exceeds LATAM's carry-on dimensions by 1-3cm. The foam padding in the backpack makes it expand to full size, but I normally only carry it at 80-90% capacity and can easily squish it into carry-on sizers.

However, with LATAM's intro of new Basic fare classes, it seems they're trying to collect more carry-on bag fees. Will I still be allowed to squish my bag into their sizers, or are they taking a zero-tolerance policy to collect more fees?

If it helps to know, I'll be flying domestically within Chile on the following routes: SCL-IPC, SCL-CJC, and SCL-PUQ.
My domestic flights within Chile (most recently, in January) have typically hard-... baggage police, both at the check in counters and at the gate.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
In J you should be fine, I mentioned to the Check In Agent I think our carry on is too big ( we had more allotment allowed in checked if needed so figured I'd ask) she said oh your in business don't worry about it and we didn't and nothing happened.

This has happened to me 3 times.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My domestic flights within Chile (most recently, in January) have typically hard-... baggage police, both at the check in counters and at the gate.
I wouldn't be surprised that they're checking more often, but are they also stricter with the "fit". In my case, my backpack isn't a perfect rectangle and bulges out in certain areas so it doesn't just slide right into a sizer. However, with a little judge, I can easily "reshape" the bag to fit the sizer. You think they'll tolerate that? I'd hate to get a whole new backpack just for this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Flying on a group tour reservation so unclear if our platinum status will get recognized. So do they allow carry on plus personal item or just one item total? Flying Lima to Cusco. And Quito. Thanks, sorry for newbie question.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meanwhile @ LIM today (intra-South America flight) the gate agent was wandering around and making people tag bags that were around the same size as mine (standard USA-permitted size). I walked away until boarding commenced. I don't know if Premium Economy would have made a difference with her but I didn't want to find out.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:07 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Meanwhile @ LIM today (intra-South America flight) the gate agent was wandering around and making people tag bags that were around the same size as mine (standard USA-permitted size). I walked away until boarding commenced. I don't know if Premium Economy would have made a difference with her but I didn't want to find out.
In SCL they make announcements at the gate for boarding groups 4 and up to check in trolleys for free (on 3 recent narrow body international flights). Never had problems in PE (except for the non enforced toilet exclusivity)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.