Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Best Use of a LAN Travel Voucher (Flight Redemption vs Cash) ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:18 am
Original Poster

First time poster, long time lurker

I am curious to see what the FT community thinks would be the best redemption of the LAN travel voucher I was issued.

So, I have two options: $2400 flight credit OR $780 cash.
My airport is BOS, but i can also fly out of NYC.

If I go for redemption, I would go anywhere they fly in November for approx. 10 days, but would want to get two tickets.

I believe one caveat is that for redemption, it must be on LAN and not with partners, but I don't understand exactly how this works (does this mean absolutely no legs can be with a partner, even if booked through LAN)?

What I have found so far is that I can get two tickets in economy to many places ... but Ecuador seems to be a sweet spot, with the possibility of 2 business class tickets for about $2800, meaning I would only pay $400 over.

What does everyone think? Redemption or Cash?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Welcome to FT Lan, milessurfer!

My vote would be redemption, both for a flight and for my soul.

Impressed, you seem to have done your homework. Yup, NYC to GYE is a sweet spot. But also play around a bit with Quito in there, sometimes even a slightly better deal.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:33 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Dammit if you want to travel anyway then fill your boots and do Ecuador in J. Nice little jaunt. What did you get such a large voucher for? I need to be losing my luggage in the same place that you lost it.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by milessurfer
I believe one caveat is that for redemption, it must be on LAN and not with partners, but I don't understand exactly how this works (does this mean absolutely no legs can be with a partner, even if booked through LAN)?
The website says that it must be exchanged for LAN services only and does not apply to LAN flights operated by another airline.

http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...ios/index.html

And my two cents: Redeem! Especially if you can get that sweet deal to Ecuador.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, you all are great enablers! I am going to pursue the travel option, my soul could also use a bit of redemption

I have never been to Ecuador, am long due for a trip, and well why the hell not, right ?!
I'll work on some itineraries this week so I have a couple options when I call LAN.

JohnnyColombia, I burned some BA miles to fly in J from NYC->SCL->IPC->LIM->NYC ... everything was fine until the last segment, when a seat was broken in the booked J cabin and they had someone that wanted to pay a lot to fly in J. I volunteered and got the Bump. I think they treated me well with a good voucher, and in addition they put my girlfriend (who was in economy) together in extra leg room seats! Thanks LAN !

Looks like I better dig up those boots ...
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:45 am

Damn some guys get all the luck.

Last week I neglected to wake up for my booked J flight so had to go to SCL and PAY THEM $200 to fly in Y
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Uggg, that's terrible ... $200 for a downgrade and they probably filled your seat anyway.

I have read that they are terrible in customer service when you miss a flight, lot's of situations like yours on the internets. Although, I would have hoped for a better level of service, especially when you were booked in J.

Note to self: never miss a LAN flight !
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:03 pm

I think they are pretty fair, many an airline would have cancelled the rest of my itinerary. Shame that the penalty stung a bit on this fare though
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
I have a similar dilemma to the OP, although the choice is $300 cash or two $300 travel vouchers. This compensation is for a downgrade from Business to Premium Economy from SCL-EZE. I have a couple questions that will help me decide what to do:

1) Are the vouchers issued in the traveler's names? If so, can the vouchers be used by another person?

2) Is it possible to use residual value for a second ticket if the first is less than $300?

Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
[QUOTE=TropicalTripper;20565571]

1) Are the vouchers issued in the traveler's names? If so, can the vouchers be used by another person?/QUOTE]

Someone gave me their voucher once. I just had to stick the code into my online purchase and the amount was deducted from the ticket price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.