Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Low Limit Poker Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Best Low Limit Poker Rooms

What are the nicest low limit poker rooms in Vegas, around the strip area? I'm looking for a low pressure low limit (1/3, 2/4) game that's easy to join (no 3 hour waiting list) to transition from online poker and to put some of the skills into practice that I learned from a couple good books.

Finding some tipsy college students or poker newbies who have some cash available for me to relieve them of would be an added bonus.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:48 am

Programs: Co Gold
Last year I found the Flamingo to be pretty good for low limit.

The dealers were fun, the crowd was a mix good and bad.

They also did the "jackpot" hands different to everywhere else.

In some poker rooms there's a progressive bonus for hitting certain hands, but with the proviso that you use both of your hole cards. At the Flamingo you could get the hand any way that counted, but all they do is rake off a percentage of the pot and then share that out among the top hands over a 24hr period (6am-6am I think).

Anyway I ended up getting paid out an extra $300 for hitting 4A's (one in my hand and 3 on the table).

You need a minimum of 4 10's to qualify and they just write all the best hands down and then work out the bous pot. You go back the next day to collect.

Having said all that I also enjoy the Palms
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:43 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I take it you want limit not low limit NL?

I don't ever bother with limit (unless I'm trying to get drunk for free) but suggest a couple of things to help you keep a little straight.

Don't assume that because you're a winning player online that you'll do well live. If you haven't played live before you will find a lot to keep track of, phrases like 'oh its on me' and 'sorry first live game' should NEVER come out of your mouth. If they do, you'll find a few pairs of ears perk up around you and people will assume that your starting hand requirements are wider then most and pressure you.

I'm not in favour of places that have a high hand/bad beat jackpot because of the extra drop they take for it, but thats my view as a NL player, so it may be better for you.

Don't play late at night at Palms or MGM either.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I think the OP is looking for low "limit" games - 1/2, 2/4, etc. If so, I will disagree with aceman and recommend MGM. The 2/4 limit game there is an easy way to start experience with live play.

If you're okay with 3/6 limit, you open yourself up to other options like Bally's and Venetian. Either place will have a high quota of drunken college kids.

If you're talking low blind no-limit like 1-3 or 2-5 no limit, then you have lots of options.

www.allvegaspoker.com is a great resource to research various poker rooms.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks for the information and the link...very helpful. I know there is a huge difference between playing online and playing for real - but it would be helpful finding a place known for newbies so I can appear to be one while still having the chance to hunt down others with less knowledge, too much confidence or just drunk off their rockers.

I'm a fairly tight player, so I should get some longevity at the table while getting use to the live game.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Though I've never played there (just reading reviews from All Vegas Poker), it seems like the Excalibur might be the best room to transition from on-line to live poker. I've also heard good things about the Monte Carlo 2/4 games.

Believe it or not, every poker room (including the likes of Wynn, Bellagio, and Venetian) will run a 2/4 poker game if there's enough interest. Unfortunately, it's very rare at the big-name rooms.

My first Vegas poker room was the Mirage 3/6 game. Talk about a roller coaster trip.

If you want to cut your teeth in a cheap tourney, check out the Sahara tournaments. $62 gets you 5000 chips with 25/25 starting blinds. Runs every day at 11am, 7pm and 11pm.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:37 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I've heard Hooter's has games pretty much exactly like you're describing, low limits and lots of drunken college kids and others of questionable ability. Not sure about the wait there though because their room is pretty small. It's right across the street from the main entrance of the MGM, so it's not too hard to check out though.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:24 am

I haven't played much in poker rooms since it got hip a few years ago (I happened to enjoy being the youngest player at the table by 20-30 years, thank you very much). While not very glamorous, I'd say the room at the Stratosphere would be best for you. 1-2 limit hold 'em games with very congenial players.

Honestly, though, if you're looking to gain some experience, you should look at one of the cheaper poker tournaments, like the daily $30 one at the Luxor. Your money will probably last you much longer in a tourney than it would at a low-limit table and you'll learn a ton.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:15 am

Hmmm, low limit tournaments in vegas are crap shoots, the blinds tend to double every 20 minutes so you're basically all in every hand, but should give you a feel for the game.

AFAIK the smallest limit game at the Wynn is 4/8.

Hooters is a good choice but they only have 3 tables, and its generally NL. Everytime I'm broke in vegas I start at the 1-2NL at Hooters, then if its the middle of the day the 2-5 at Mirage, if its evening 2-5 at Palms, and then onto their 5-10. Some great spin ups!

I found the NL game at the strat to be pretty tough, 4 old boy regulars squeeze playing the tourists etc, didnt like it, and then someone mentioned to me that you almost have to be related to make money in that game....

And please tell me that one of the books you read wasnt Caro's book of poker tells. Just last night I had some monkey bleating on about how stacking your chips in a neat manner betrays a tight player, he was gone in 20 minutes...
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by aceman
Hmmm, low limit tournaments in vegas are crap shoots, the blinds tend to double every 20 minutes so you're basically all in every hand, but should give you a feel for the game.
Right. Plus I think I lasted at least an hour and a half the last time I played that tourney, and I've never been able to play for 90 minutes in a poker room on $30...
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:11 am
Original Poster

And please tell me that one of the books you read wasnt Caro's book of poker tells. Just last night I had some monkey bleating on about how stacking your chips in a neat manner betrays a tight player, he was gone in 20 minutes...
No, I never heard of that book. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think tells are a major factor in low limit play, especially for a beginner. I will have enough to do calculating outs and pot odds without having to remember how every face at the table twitches when they're dealt pocket aces.

I'm willing to go home a loser provided I learned something valuable from the experience (first time with live table play) and I followed the basic principles outlined in the book that I read - which was focused specifically on the mechanics and strategy of low limit play. If I actually get decent cards and I can work them into a profit situation, all the better
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The Sahara and a handful of tourneys at The Orleans are the only sub-$100 tournaments with Patience Factors* higher than 4.50. That basically means you can be more selective with the hands you play early in the tournament without worrying about the blinds eating away at your chip stack.

In addition, these tourneys are too cheap for the better tourney players to waste their time with; so if you play disciplined poker, you should go deep.

* - Speaking of which, I highly recommend the book that is cited in the link if you decide to pursue low buy-in tourneys in Vegas.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: AS,UA
You should defintely hit up the EXCALIBER, they market the games as Kitchen Table games with friends, and i think the limits are 1-5 spread.

Luxor is also great for the $50 Buy NL Holdem but you need to be there when they start a new table cause everyone is even then

Sahara has great Morning Tournaments for about 60 bucks
Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, IC Hotels Priority Club Gold
My first live game was in the Aladdin about a month ago, and I had a great time. $50 buyin, no limit. The people (at my table at least) were friendly and the dealers helpful, even when I made mistakes that made my lack of experience obvious. Got to play for about 4 hours on my $50, would have been more if not for a horribly unlikely turn on the river after going all in, heh.

They did the jackpot hands people have been talking about, but you could use the cards on the table and in your hand however you wished, and you got the payout right then and there added to your chips. There was a large blackboard with the current payout for such hands. They had tons of table space open, so no waiting for a game (and I was there about 9pm on a Sat night, too).
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by lebowski2222
Luxor is also great for the $50 Buy NL Holdem but you need to be there when they start a new table cause everyone is even then
Stay away!!

crazy stupid game!

Buy in for $50, blinds $1-$1-$2, the minute you go even a single dollar below $50 you can pull up $50 more (no more no less).

I mean what the hell is that all about??!??!

No, I never heard of that book. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think tells are a major factor in low limit play, especially for a beginner. I will have enough to do calculating outs and pot odds without having to remember how every face at the table twitches when they're dealt pocket aces.
Good, you'll be far more profitable without it!!

Sahara has great Morning Tournaments for about 60 bucks
I agree, the Saharah has some excellent value tournaments, the morning one is good, the 7pm one is fantastic, and the midnight one is great!

I don't recall getting 5k in starting chips, but it wasnt far off. Great tournament, and when you get to about 4 handed a chop nets a nice easy $800 odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.