$20 Trick - It works very well

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:51 pm

delete

Last edited by jasonkevin77; Aug 16, 2019 at 9:57 am Reason: delete
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Fiesta Henderson anyone?

I can find no $20 tip experience anywhere on the intergoogles....

http://www.fiestahendersonlasvegas.com/hotel/suites/
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:12 pm

http://www.frontdesktip.com/
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Used the $20 trick at Paris a month ago. I think the key is careful selection of the front desk clerk. It is like picking a jury - certain types follow rules, others don't. Anyway, I had reserved the lowest category and was offered a renovated red room or Bellagio fountain view - he even took the time to show me photos of each option. I opted for a high floor view.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Used the $20 trick at Paris a month ago. I think the key is careful selection of the front desk clerk. It is like picking a jury - certain types follow rules, others don't. Anyway, I had reserved the lowest category and was offered a renovated red room or Bellagio fountain view - he even took the time to show me photos of each option. I opted for a high floor view.
So what qualities am I looking for? I happen to be arriving at Bally's on Sat so I'd like some clear ideas.

Last edited by thebat; Oct 6, 2011 at 10:57 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
So what qualities am I looking for? I happen to be arriving at Bally's on Sat so I'd like some clear ideas.
Someone who likes you. Seriously, they're doing you a favor. Since lines often lead to randomization, start with a smile and a friendly greeting.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've it said many times...

The "Trick" is to get upgraded without paying one dollar more than the rate you've booked.

YMMV
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:17 am

Booked a 5 night regular room in Paris for my brother & aunt, using my total rewards rates. I had to check in because it was booked on my credit card. I slipped a 20$ between ID & credit card. Clerk was a young woman. At first she didn't talk much until she saw the 20$. "What is this?" I friendly explained that it was a tip for her, thinking the sandwich would fail since she was making a fuss about it... After I told her she could keep it, and before we were even talking about rooms, she suddenly became more friendly in the way she was talking to us... I hesitated a bit, then asked if any upgrades were available. She offered us a fountain view room on a high floor.

Then I checked in with my wife at the Cosmopolitan. Booked a 1 bedroom terrace room. Tried a 100$ sandwich because it was for 5 nights and wanted to try for a corner suite.She saw the tip, and offered us the same room but with fountain view on 30th floor. I asked for the corner suite, and she said it would normally be 150$ a night more, but could give it for 100 a night to us. I declined because they didn't have any fountain via corner suites available. She then gave me my money back. I did give her a 20$ tip for her trouble in upgrading us to a fountain view room.
Finally, we got upgraded for free to a terrace suite with fountain room on 35th floor, because there were 3 chinese people in our original room when we tried to get in it ;-)
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mobi
Booked a 5 night regular room in Paris for my brother & aunt, using my total rewards rates. I had to check in because it was booked on my credit card. I slipped a 20$ between ID & credit card. Clerk was a young woman. At first she didn't talk much until she saw the 20$. "What is this?" I friendly explained that it was a tip for her, thinking the sandwich would fail since she was making a fuss about it... After I told her she could keep it, and before we were even talking about rooms, she suddenly became more friendly in the way she was talking to us... I hesitated a bit, then asked if any upgrades were available. She offered us a fountain view room on a high floor.

Then I checked in with my wife at the Cosmopolitan. Booked a 1 bedroom terrace room. Tried a 100$ sandwich because it was for 5 nights and wanted to try for a corner suite.She saw the tip, and offered us the same room but with fountain view on 30th floor. I asked for the corner suite, and she said it would normally be 150$ a night more, but could give it for 100 a night to us. I declined because they didn't have any fountain via corner suites available. She then gave me my money back. I did give her a 20$ tip for her trouble in upgrading us to a fountain view room.
Finally, we got upgraded for free to a terrace suite with fountain room on 35th floor, because there were 3 chinese people in our original room when we tried to get in it ;-)
You fool! That is the upgrade the $20 got you. You scored and didn't even know it.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by lands
You fool! That is the upgrade the $20 got you. You scored and didn't even know it.
Are you saying that the result of the $20 was the FD clerk sent him to an occupied room in order to create a customer service incident?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I think he's implying that the three Chinese people might have been beautiful young "massage therapists"...
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by lands
LOL
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Are you saying that the result of the $20 was the FD clerk sent him to an occupied room in order to create a customer service incident?
Actually the clerk did see the room as being ready, since the 3 Chinese did a checkout on the TV but they were still in the room.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I think he's implying that the three Chinese people might have been beautiful young "massage therapists"...
Oooooooooooohhhhhh. Happy ending time.
(where is the blushing emoticon? =^_^= )
Originally Posted by Mobi
Actually the clerk did see the room as being ready, since the 3 Chinese did a checkout on the TV but they were still in the room.
But still, checked out does not mean cleaned and ready!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Fiesta Henderson anyone?

I can find no $20 tip experience anywhere on the intergoogles....

http://www.fiestahendersonlasvegas.com/hotel/suites/
Still looking for experience at this property...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.